View Full Version : Live eels in a breachway

RIJIMMY
09-29-2003, 02:45 PM
Does anyone sling live eels in a breachway...particularly on an outflow? Is this a productive method?
I use eels all the time, but usually in the surf, beach or bars.
I would think the current would bring the eel to the surface. Anyone have any thoughts?

JohnR
09-29-2003, 02:46 PM
There are no fish when fishing eels off a breachway, actually - there are no Breachways or Eels!

:D

rwilhelm
09-29-2003, 03:04 PM
I myself do not use eels much, I use lures more. On an outgoing tide at the breachways I have seen people fishing eels and it work wells. The eel will drift way out to the rips, where the big boys are. I use the same theory, but usually with plugs.

RIJIMMY
09-29-2003, 03:08 PM
Thanks, that was my guess. I have used swimmers the same way.
SOmetimes, when I use eels in a rough surf, they rise to the top and don't work very well. I thought the same may happen in a bway.

blackeye
09-29-2003, 04:19 PM
throw em more across than out-tend's to keep them in the current longer-eels are a killer almost anywhere-unless there's a bajillion peanut bunker around

fishweewee
09-29-2003, 08:07 PM
Pffffft. Eeeeeels, schmeeeeels.

Everyone know that plugs work better. ;) :D :p :bshake:

Nebe
09-29-2003, 09:12 PM
In the blue moon that I will throw eels, I use a small egg sinker above my leader...... That gets that eel right down to the bottom, then I let a little line out to let the snake swim around.

likwid
09-29-2003, 09:28 PM
Originally posted by blackeye
throw em more across than out-tend's to keep them in the current longer-eels are a killer almost anywhere-unless there's a bajillion peanut bunker around

You mean like it is now? :D

saajr
09-30-2003, 04:53 AM
the best bait around Quonnie breachway .ELLS!!!!One of the best at slinging ells in the breachway is Don Mchaud he has a shop in stonigton Kingcove outfitters

missing link
09-30-2003, 05:07 AM
its like there eating steak and where giving them hot dogs :)

bloocrab
09-30-2003, 07:37 AM
..cast your eel up INTO the breachway, this will allow time for sinking if you don't have that small egg sinker. The drifts will be quick but it doesn't take long for an eel to be inhaled :cool:

RIJIMMY
09-30-2003, 08:59 AM
Thanks for all then help. one more question....do you leave the bail open (in my case, I'm bail-less) to let the eel drift out, do you hold the line in your fingers to feel the hit?

I just began using eels this year and I have been pretty successful. Due to the crowds at the bways I have avoided using them there. The crowds will be thinning out as it gets colder so I'm planning to apply what I have learned here.

Mike P
09-30-2003, 03:03 PM
In a breachway current, I'd keep the line on my finger. It's one of the few times I'd miss a bail on my reels, but if you drop the rod quickly when you feel the bump and are quick about getting the line on the manual roller, it can be done. But for that purpose I would probably go with conventional in the first place ;)

Eels are more castable on conventionals than you'd think, and the breachways aren't that wide to begin with. Get yourself a good, smooth reel with a braking system (like a Calcutta) and you'll be set.

ProfessorM
10-02-2003, 11:20 AM
For me an eel is the best big striper catcher there is. And in a breachway is the ideal situation for an eel. I like Oct. for fishing this way. You must free spool the eel out with the current making it look natural. There must be no drag on the eel as it swims out with the tide. You can use a small rubbercore if it stays up in the water column, but I sometimes have more problem with the darn things heading straight for the bottom and the structure. You must adjust for the current speed. You know trial and error. The big bass are lazy and set up in the out going current like trout do waiting for a fly to come down stream. They let the food come to them. Scout out a breachway at low tide. Look for all the rocks and structure that the cows can hide behind during the strong out going tide. Use a mask and snorkle in the summer if you have to. That is where you should concentrate you drifts with the eels. You do not have to fish the popular breachways either. Any marsh, harbor, bay, etc. can produce big fish. I have fished a spot on the south side of the Cape in Oct. for the last several years and hardly ever see another fisherman. Just because they are not popular spots does not mean there are no big fish. I have been lucky to land a few fish of 30 lbs. But also have taken fish of 46 lbs. and 58 lbs. and a blue of 19 lbs all at the same spot without another fisherman in site. It is very satisfying to find a spot, scout it out and to put your time in at a place you think would be a productive area for big fish. The place I fish is very rocky and has a very swift current with a rock jetty, very similar to the canal. I use conventional equipment. I also use 40 lb test because of the rocks and the current. The fish at this time of the year, if they are there, are going to be big so you don't want to use tackle that is too light. So go at it. October to me is the time of the eel and a breachway is one of the best places to use them. You must put your time in though. Good luck Mr. M.

The Dad Fisherman
10-02-2003, 02:05 PM
Dumb Question comin at ya...but....What's a Breachway (I'll check back after the laughter has subsided)

Fishpart
10-02-2003, 02:37 PM
Rhode Island term for inlet with stone jettys on each side. A breach through the barrier beach, hence the breachway.......

rwilhelm
10-02-2003, 02:38 PM
It is a big pile of rocks on both sides, with a strong current running thru it. The Breachways in Rhody all lead back to Salt Ponds.

RIJIMMY
10-02-2003, 06:13 PM
No one will laugh here. Its funny, growing up in Ct, I first went to Ctown Breachway when I was @ 7. It was like Hawaii. The ocean actually has waves!!! Not like the slime I swam in LI Sound.

blackeye
10-02-2003, 06:46 PM
:laughs: