View Full Version : Tie direct or use a snap

rwilhelm
10-01-2003, 07:43 AM
When using swimmers such as Dannys or Bombers do you tie direct or use a snap? I have done it both ways and I cannot decide which gives a better swimming action. Then there is also the question does the snap sometimes shy away a bass to bite?

beachwalker
10-01-2003, 07:50 AM
Just in from a great night of swimmer fishing. Bombers and Darters all the way around. Caught over 2 doz fish with a swivel.

I use a snap swivel with a Palomar. Strong as sh&%$t and easy to tie. Never had any problem with not catching when comparing the two.

I do make sure that I use a double-uni to tie my leader (30lb) to my main line. This way I have NO swivel getting hung up on the guide and am casting off the leader. NEVER had the leader break. Had the mainline break a few times at the swivel because of the wear from casting a few hundred times a night in the same spot.

Using a swivel also lets you rotate through your lures easier. There are some VERY small and STRONG swivels available that will negate any worries over the fish be spooked by the sight of one.

Good Luck

rwilhelm
10-01-2003, 10:03 AM
Thanks Beachwalker for you input.

beachwalker
10-01-2003, 10:16 AM
You are most welcome.

Go get em' ! :D

bloocrab
10-01-2003, 11:16 AM
..get the small SPRO swivels...you SHOULD be using swivels . .

fishweewee
10-01-2003, 11:40 AM
Snaps work alright on Dannies and similar large plugs.

-WW

bassmaster
10-01-2003, 11:44 AM
i wanna go to the other island

Saltheart
10-01-2003, 06:01 PM
I think it depends on how often you plan on changing the plug. I think best is tie direct but if you plan on changing a lot , use the snap.

rocketman
10-01-2003, 06:19 PM
When you get as old (50) as me you use the snap cuz the hardest part of fishing is the knots. (the eyes ain't what they use'ta was)

denis
10-01-2003, 09:09 PM
Rocketman

Well put, man I hate going blind.

bluefish
10-01-2003, 10:25 PM
What I do is ...

I make long leaders out of 30# or 40# test mono (4 - 5 ft.) and the only hardware I add is the swivel to attach to my running line. I tie the leader directly to my plugs and after 5 or so changes I tie on a new leader....

The lighter the lure.....

The lighter the leader....and tying direct becomes a must because the action of small lures will be affected by snaps and using a smaller snap means compromising strength which I am not willing to do.

Just my .02