View Full Version : Need Help/Bad Tide?

Jonny Bolt
10-01-2003, 11:00 PM
HI everyone. I was wondering if anyone could tell me about really high tides. I live in Hampton NH which is a coastal town with a harbor, and fish the marshes/rivers in town for Stripers. Since last Saturday, I have not had one single bite lol, which is an absolute rarity in the marshes. The fish come in from the harbor to feed, and I usually get atleast one on any outing. But Saturday, I noticed the tide was exceptionaly high, due to that small storm, Juan I believe. Saturday afternoon, I had 2 24 inchers, and one 26 incher, which is the biggest I have caught out there this year (I got a late start this year). Sunday nothing, Monday nothing, Tuesday nothing and today nothing again. Not one bite. But today, although I got no bites, I noticed the tide is not coming up as high, but it is still pretty violent/erratic. I'm hoping it wil calm down, cuz I still have yet to bag a keeper this year (28"), and I am willing to go as long as I have to to get one. I know the fish are still there cuz I hear at the local bait shop someone got a 32 incher a few days ago. Is there a reason the fish are being so fussy so suddenly? I am using chunk herring for bate, and they usually slam it. I have only caught one out there with a lure, it was a minnow plug, and the fish was only about 17/18 inches. I have better luck with the herring in the rivers. I have seen 50" Stripers caught in the harbor with live eels also (I dont have a boat, so I cant get where I need to go for those monsters). So does anyone have any ideas about why the fish are being so shy? Maybe after the tide settles down, they will be active again? I usually fish on the old railroad tracks that cross the marsh, where there is an old trestle to fish off, and various areas around to fish as well. But I usually just fish off the trestle, and let the incoming tide, or outgoing tide take it out a bit. Ther are many bends and coves and points, which is good, and makes for great fishing, but the past few days have been absolutely DEAD. Anyone know what could be the cause of this?

I know this sounds retahdid, but not even getting a schoolie bite in 4 days of fishing is a rarity here.

nor-easter
10-02-2003, 02:19 AM
Because I do not have any idea of where your favorite marsh is located I am going to try to help just from the years of experience I have had chasing the mighty Striped Bass.
Your marsh stream or inlet is off of a Bay and is a tidal area. Just possibly the area you usually catch your fish in is at present without any bait. The water may have changed temperature with the flushing of the high course tides brought on by Hurricane Juan and the bait got washed out and the Bass followed the bait.
Keep trying but don't give up fishing if they don't show up in that spot right away.
Widen your fishing areas and find another spot that is productive now. If the weather warms any check your favorite spot to see if the bait has returned and the Bass with it.
If not, there is always next season.
Good Luck, Good Fishing...Hope the Catching gets good for you again.

fishweewee
10-02-2003, 05:52 AM
Swells caused by distant hurricanes have always messed up my fishing in New England.

BigBo
10-02-2003, 07:09 AM
Along with the other suggestions, it's also what keeps us fascinated in Striper fishing. Just when you think you've got it figured out, the fish go and change their habits. What worked last year may not work this year. Stripers are masters of change. I had a spot that two years ago, I could take the most novice fisherman there and wager money that they'd catch bass and also take a keeper home. It was always a sure bet. The following year, I couldn't buy a bass there. They are constantly changing their habits and you are going to have to find out what they have moved on to or where. You have to adapt to the changes if you want to be successful. There are many constants in the game but some little details can change. I know this doesn't answer your questions but it's something to keep in the back of your mind.

hooked
10-02-2003, 08:41 AM
Hampton Estuary is a good summertime spot, but the run has started and what you are looking for is swimming South. Head to the jetty at the mouth of the harbor or try places like Boars Head (Great and Little), Concord Point, Odiorne Point. Toss out that herring there and if nothing is happening move to the next spot.

Jonny Bolt
10-02-2003, 10:25 AM
Thank you everyone for your help, you guys are great :btu:

I may go check out the jetty today, but it is hard to fish for me. Seems like everytime I use a weight, I get hung up lol. when the tide starts ripping, I definitely need something to get down. But I have a 10' rod, so I might go down and see what happens. I know there is a pier in New Castle too that is supposed to be good, but I have never fished there yet. But I have a rental with a full tank of gas (my car is in the shop) so I might be able to put that to use today :D

As far as the bate fish go, there is still plenty, cuz I can see them hitting the top, and when I hang some herring over the big stones that support the trestle, the bate fish swarm it, along with small eels, and they bounce it around by poking at it. It is actually kinda fun to sit there and watch em for a bit. I have actually caught a brave little 13" Striper that came up one day and kept hitting the bait, 2 feet away from me as I watched. He eventually hooked himself, and when I took him up, I noticed a huge leader hanging about a foot out his mouth. He had swallowed the hook, but I cut out as much of the leader as I could so it wasnt hangin out his mouth, and I threw him back. Brave little sucker.

I keep hearing the fish are still out there though, cuz the Hampton Animal Control officer fishes at the boat club for fun, and he is bagging a few keepers a week. The boat club can be seen from the trestle lol, its right around the bend, so I dont know what he's doin' right :)

Since the tide has calmed down a bit, I'm hoping they will be back. I'll check it out and see how things go. I have better luck with fishing the incoming tide on the trestle. The outgoing tide can get pretty violent and whirpool on you damn fast. The water has been rushing out so fast, that it spins in the little coves, and your bait will just go in circles and tangle you up somethin' serious. It isnt always this fierce though, sometimes the outgoing is pretty good, but I prefer the incoming, as I have snagged more fish incoming.

If they dont come back now that the tide has started to calm, I'll chalk it up to them runnin'. Fishing there has for the most part been great right through October. This is usually when the biggies start rollin' in. But like it goes...habits change.

Thanks again everyone, this board is my new home.

I'll probably post any results on my trek today.

Newboater
10-02-2003, 01:46 PM
Thanks for all the hints and tips. I'm taking my boat out this weekend from Great Bay and Portsmouth Harbor and try fishing. My boating sucks cuz I've dinged two props in 4 outtings.

I've got some s/bass lures and other hookie thingies and I'll probably get some mackrel and eels. Someone suggested sea worms so I'll see if there are any around.

I'm 61 and just got the 20 footer so I'm a novice minus class.

But reading the stuff you guys put out is making me itch to actually start fishing.

Thanks

Sarge

Jonny Bolt
10-02-2003, 05:31 PM
went out again today. checked the trestle/marshes, nuthin. So I drove to the state park and walked down the jetty. Saw a few fish splashin' on top, but was unable to snag one. I think they were blues. The tide was really coming in, so I got off the jetty and tried surfcasting to about the 3rd wave. Couldnt get a hit with a plug or herring, so I left. Then I took a long drive up the coast cuz it started raining. Picked out a few spots I am going to try tomorrow, one in North Hampton, and one in New Castle. The wind also started in, so it was probably a good time to take the drive lol.

I also wanna try a needlefish lure. I hear they are the #^&#^&#^&#^&. Any opinions on them? I've never used one yet. I myself have had minimal results with lures, I have had better luck with chunk herring, live mackeral, bloodworms, and clams. I have had zero luck with chunk mackeral though lol.

BigBo
10-02-2003, 07:25 PM
Everyone has different opinions about what works best for them. This time of year, I like dark needlefish. Black, dark green, etc.
But, then again, I saw the posting by JHabs where someone caught large with his pink needlefish.:huh:
Anyways, they usually work well this time of year. Try anything and everything in your bag of tricks. Picked up a few last week on Ledgerunners Rubba (go to link on Home page).

Jonny Bolt
10-02-2003, 08:05 PM
awesome. I saw a nice sized needlefish lure at wal-nuts in Seabrook recently. It was black, and I think it had just a tad bit of yellow on it. I think I am going to go pick it up tomorrow before I hit the North Hampton spot.