View Full Version : Smelt RIgs

Notaro
10-04-2003, 10:00 PM
Does anybody here would like to share some insights of their own rigs or whatever for smelt fishing? I caught several of them today, but lost them because I used south bend's poischtar sabaki rig. I would like to add a lure or use it to jig for it and with live shrimps.

Thanks. I'm going to give Quincy a try for smelt fishing.

MikeTLive
10-04-2003, 10:21 PM
go ask Rick at ForeRiver for gold aberdeen hooks fer smelt.
ask him for shrimp too. if no shrimp a tiny piece of seaworm works great.

Other things to try is them tiny red/silver ice fishing jigs.

I have never had any luck with them saibiki rigs (not sure why I bought another one yesterday... go figure.)

Notaro
10-04-2003, 10:24 PM
Originally posted by MikeTLive
[B
I have never had any luck with them saibiki rigs (not sure why I bought another one yesterday... go figure.) [/B]
:laughs: Same thing here. I'm going to use the Japanese imported Sabaki rig noext friday after school. I gotta make a bum rush to the Marina Bay on my bike with a bucket! I haven't caught a damn keepah today at Back River and Hull. Too bloody windy, Mike. I should have. How much does his smelt rod cost? I hope it is less than 40 bucks.

MikeTLive
10-04-2003, 10:32 PM
I bought two collapsible glass smelt poles from him a few years ago. (a year apart)

before that I would track down cheap bamboo poles (10 bucks out of season).

That is what I let the kids use. they dont get to use my yuppie smelt poles. Every few years I replace the guides with bent paperclips and electric tape.

tie a 1/2 oz bead chain and then clip on the hook and yer all set.
As I said, Rick can help you out.

Fly Rod
10-05-2003, 07:41 AM
a couple of friends of mine and I go the cheap route. We take a spool of 2-4lb test line #8-10 fresh water hook with a piece of sea worm and use it as a drop line sometimes with or without a small sinker. We catch smelt that's the bottom line.

fishweewee
10-05-2003, 08:19 AM
Hook n line smelting is a bit new to me. Growing up in the mid-west we just used dip nets and scoop 'em out out of the river, there were so many of them running.

Mmmmm...smelt fish fry....mmmmm.....:drool:

Christian
10-05-2003, 08:23 AM
i like the sabiki rigs, i have one rod with a sabiki rig with a live shirmp on everyhook that i just drop down to the bottom and let it sit to the side and check it every 5 minits. and with another rod i have a single hook with a 1/4oz rubber core sinker or 1/2oz with the gold arberdeen. it might be a tad too early for wicked good results on smelt. you might catch a few but in a few weeks theyll be lots more. i just use my freshwater gear. i used a flyrod once that was fun. once you get 1 on the sabiki just let it sit in the water with it struggleing and the other one will be attracked to it.

why waste your time on smelt right now when there are bass?

Van
10-05-2003, 10:58 AM
The smelt are IN by the way. Got more than a dozen last time out. Watch out for the schoolies though lost a couple of rigs to them, might have been blues too,,,, dunno!!!

As for me I use bare hooks on a home made rig. sometimes the jigs just spook em'..

I have done very well that way while the jig guys just sit there....

fishweewee
10-05-2003, 11:25 AM
Smelt are tastier than stripers.

killerlexus
10-05-2003, 02:50 PM
where do you fish for them in boston and quincy and how?? sounds like fun. :happy: :happy:

Notaro
10-05-2003, 06:31 PM
Ah, I will do that, but basses, christain? I'm still trying. I hope to find one on the cape next weekend. I promised my mom some smelts. Besides, I was gunning for peanut bunkers and tinker mackerel to live line it for a stripers. No more blues!!

And by the way, I have noticed that most of smelt anglers use freshwater flyfishing set to catch it. They just use it to jig them. I'm going to buy me one of those from MVP, Sports Authority, or Wal-Mart to catch smelts. Hmmm...

Van
10-06-2003, 07:33 AM
Originally posted by fishweewee
Smelt are tastier than stripers.

OH YEA !!!!:D :D :D :D

K.Lexus,

Hewitts Cove marina in Weymouth, Marina bay in Quincy, constitution marina in boston are all good spots.
everyone has there own style of rod and rig to use. Recently I see lots of guys with fly rods. Fresh water pole is good, but it has to be senitieve to feel the tiny bite....Get whatever bait is avialble at the bat shop and ask them where and how, they are always helpful.....

Notaro
10-07-2003, 09:52 AM
Right-o, Lexus. Go to Fore River b&t. He will help you to set up one.

MakoMike
10-07-2003, 11:56 AM
Guys,
Any suggestions for catching smelt in RI?

Notaro
10-07-2003, 11:57 AM
I dunno, dude.