View Full Version : Killer Video -- Check it out if you're able to handle it

Fish_Eye
10-05-2003, 02:54 PM
Hi everyone,

I have a killer video clip (quite literally) showing new fluke ambush/feeding, a massive peanut bunker school, and assorted scenes that will be incorporated into my 2004 seminar show.

This clip is a MPEG-4 (Microsoft’s newest video compression) and it requires Media Player 9 for the optimum playback results. I’m offering the clip in two different quality settings. The file sizes are large and massive…so if you’re using a five-year-old computer and a dial up modem, don’t even think about downloading these clips. However, if you have a hot new multi-media computer and broadband access, then crank up the volume and adjust the size to 100%, 200%, or even full screen playback (after you enter full screen mode you can even elect slow motion playback).

Microsoft is even proposing this compression standard to be used for the digital playback of full length movies at major Cinemas – the future is digital, and the future is here.

The quality should be awesome and I would really appreciate your feedback on what you experience. Let me know: what version you downloaded, how fast you could view it, how it looked, what sizes you viewed it as, and what type of computer and connection to the Internet you’re using.

You can upgrade to Windows Media-9 for free at http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windowsmedia/download/default.asp just make sure you download the proper version (XP, 2000 etc) and check out the Readme file for further instructions.

The High Quality – 28 MB
http://fisheye.striped-bass.com/video/LaptewShowHQ.wmv

Medium Quality – 6 MB
http://fisheye.striped-bass.com/video/LaptewShowMQ.wmv

Enjoy!

Mike Laptew

chris L
10-05-2003, 03:43 PM
real nice mike !

Bernzy
10-05-2003, 03:50 PM
Excellent, I will have to add this video to my collection.

Bernzy

Fish_Eye
10-05-2003, 03:57 PM
ChrisL,

Did it load quickly for you? How was the quality? Did you go for the big file?

I loaded the big file and started playback in about 35 seconds, the smaller file was opened in about 5 seconds. I cranked up the volume and the rumble of the surf and the deep bass had my woofer booming.

Are you folks interested in seeing video highlights of bait fish, bass, habitat, etc.? What would you like to see most of all?

Mike

likwid
10-05-2003, 03:59 PM
Awesome video!

Quicktime for web streaming is 100% better and DiVX (yay for free) is superior for compression of large video in my experience...

If you want more details, pm me.
I do some video stuff on the side ;)

Btw, what are you shooting/editing with?

(I got a GL2 sitting behind me :D )

addict
10-05-2003, 04:08 PM
Great clip Mike. I use win media 9.0, on road runner cable, and just d/led the file in about 1 min or so.

Nebe
10-05-2003, 04:49 PM
Doesn't work on my Mac... Something to consider is quicktime because it is great on both platforms.

MightyMouse
10-05-2003, 05:05 PM
The video quality looks great (but couldn't get sound for some reason:( )... the action shots of bait seem to be a great addition. It looks like it's going to be great :happy: :happy: :happy:

B-assman
10-05-2003, 06:04 PM
Awesome - great work - would love to see more clips of stripers posted - where can i get a copy? is it going to be on espn / oln?

nice job

Christian
10-05-2003, 06:38 PM
incredible video.

i think i know where the guy flyfishing is at.:D

Notaro
10-05-2003, 06:46 PM
the video was a great visual work for me. Now, I can see clearly how a bucktail jigging works. Cool video.

RockLobsta
10-05-2003, 07:16 PM
Good Stuff.....Cheap.

Love the footage. Its always nice to show folks what goes on under the surf.....Good work.

Fish_Eye
10-05-2003, 07:37 PM
My new show for 2004 is titled, "The Secret Life of Fish" and I will be showing this 45 minute presentation at:

East Bay Anglers Show in Barrington, RI

The Greater Philadelphia Sport Show, Ft Washington, PA

The Eastern Fishing and Outdoor Expo in Worcester, MA

The World Fishing & Outdoor Expo in Suffern, NY

The World Fly Fishing Expo in Wilmington, MA

By this holiday season I hope to have the second video in the "Understanding Fish & How To Catch Them" series done. This collaboration with Lefty Kreh will pick up where Volume I left off; lots of exciting footage of fishing Cuttyhunk and a whole lot of underwater footage from around the globe.

I will also be introducing both Volume I and II as DVD offerings.

After the first of the year, I will be rolling out DVD re-edits of all my existing titles which will be digitally re-mastered with lots of new footage and a behind the scenes look at the making of each video. Each DVD will have a significant amount of new underwater footage that will underscore the "timeless" aspects of where, when, and how to catch more fish.

In the meantime, I will popping in at Striped-Bass.com and dropping in a few choice video snippets and digital stills.

I am now on staff with Crocodile Bay Lodge in Costa Rica and will be conducting group safaris to one of the world's greatest fishing destinations. If you're interested in joining me, I have a trip coming up this December. For info on the trip, plus some additional video downloads and a photo essay...check out:
http://www.crocodilebay.com/laptew.html

striperjerk1
10-05-2003, 08:03 PM
WOW, download was quick with cable, less than a minute. this was the big file. i cant believe the picture quality. and the music is great. incredible. nice work Mike.

Krispy
10-05-2003, 08:30 PM
AWESOME!! Great footage Fish-eye.
I was able to download the high quality one in 15 sec. Very nice

Duke41
10-05-2003, 08:50 PM
Download was 45 seconds on cable modem. Playback was great. Mike you add a whole new demension to fishing...awesome.

HighTide
10-06-2003, 07:27 AM
Viewed it with a 2.4 ghz on a T1. Download was<1 minute, video was nice & fluid, not choppy at all. Nice work, I'd like to see the whole presentation:kewl:

bloocrab
10-06-2003, 08:03 AM
This dinosaur downloaded the clip - via dial-up / / and it only took about 10 minutes...:D

Good Stuff as usual "olho de peixe"...:D

chris L
10-06-2003, 08:27 AM
was quick mike like around 15- 20 sec for the biggie . quality was real good . That trip sounds real nice and interesting .

fishsmith
10-06-2003, 09:01 AM
Great video!!

Fish_Eye
10-06-2003, 04:59 PM
It looks like most folks have had little problem getting a look at the clip. I'm glad to see that most of you enjoyed the experience.

Given that bandwith costs our wonderful site provider money, what is it that you folks would like to see in very short video snippets?

Your underwater reporter, Mike

http://fisheye.striped-bass.com/gifs/laptewbonito.gif

fishweewee
10-06-2003, 05:04 PM
Came through beautifully on my cable modem.

:D

blackeye
10-06-2003, 05:46 PM
fantastic footage mike.
is it me or did that fluke miss?

Fish_Eye
10-06-2003, 06:11 PM
blackeye,

I know I have anthropomorphic tendencies, but that fluke DID just miss that cunner, and it looked pretty pi$$ed off when it glided by my camera.

The real story took place five minutes before the attack. For that entire time, that summer flounder covered a lot of territory looking for the perfect ambush point. When it did settle into position, it not only took on the coloration of the surrounding bottom, it also displayed a gray streek down its back that looked exactly like the river of sand that was only a few feet from its side.

Amazing fish...but then again, so is the cunner. It managed to detect the initial movment of the fluke and then contort its body into a rapid dive out of harms way. The whole scene unfolds in less than a second. The video clip is already in slow motion!

I would rather walk through a minefield in Afghanistan with snow shoes on, than be a bait fish swimming over the bottom when fluke are in the area.

blackeye
10-06-2003, 06:20 PM
I would rather walk through a minefield in Afghanistan with snow shoes on, than be a bait fish swimming over the bottom when fluke are in the area.

:hihi:

macojoe
10-06-2003, 10:08 PM
I loved it!! worked great on Comcast cable with media 9
I want to see the whole thing!!
I will even go buy a DVD player to see it! I have not got one yet, I am slow!! I have watched the clip 4 times!
Great show you the man!!:btu: :btu: :btu:

RIJIMMY
10-07-2003, 08:58 AM
"what is it that you folks would like to see in very short video snippets?"

I'd love to see more stripers feeding !

Your videos are on my christmas list!!!
:D

macojoe
10-07-2003, 09:44 AM
were can you get the video's?? I like the bass feeding but I do alot of Fluking and that would be great to see also!!
I want it all!!

rwilhelm
10-07-2003, 06:27 PM
That was really cool, it downloaded in about a minute with cable modem for me. Picture quality was excellent.

Fish_Eye
10-08-2003, 06:47 AM
macojoe,

You can find my videos at www.artsnflies.com, www.tackledirect.com and a number of the shops on the Cape carry them as well.

There are a number of different titles and they're all different -- the one thing that is consistent is that there is a lot of underwater work that shows how the fish relate to structure, feed, and even where the big fish stack up in the school.

Check 'em out; you won't be disappointed.

striperjerk1
10-08-2003, 10:15 AM
Hey Mike, will there be anything on stripers in the surf ,regarding footage of them feeding in or outside the curl of the wave? or a striper just swimming in the curl. ived seen this once and it was awesome.
thanks.

winchmaster
10-08-2003, 11:47 AM
Mike just watched the video and my blood is pumping! Thanks any shots of stripers taking surface gear?

blackeye
10-08-2003, 05:52 PM
last year during the three day blitz in narragansett from the narrows to the pt jude lite I was at monahans dock and saw BIGGUNS swimming thru the waves and slamming the peanuts. I will never forget that site as long as I live.. I couldn't even break away to grab my sticks

:eyes:
(I don't think these get used enough)

Dickymint
10-09-2003, 08:30 AM
Great video (1024 x68) and audio. Slightly slow buffer time but I guess this is to be expected with the big file. I have Comcast high speed cable.

beachwalker
10-09-2003, 08:39 AM
That is a killer video for sure.

Fisheye. I get the impression that it is a bit too dodgy to swim off the rocks and film that scene under swell conditions. Is that true ?

Would you have to wear body armor ? Especially to avoid being impailed by a spook ?