View Full Version : Minor Tremor Shakes Rhode Island....

JohnR
10-07-2003, 01:18 PM
I felt this last night while watching the Sox, anyone else notice it? I've felt earthquakes (small ones) before and thats what it seemed like last night. A little shaking and some rumble but it sounded/felt like when a truck is dragging a dumpster to load...

WARWICK, R.I. -- A minor earthquake shook parts of Cranston and Warwick on Monday night but apparently caused no damage, according to an official at a Massachusetts facility that monitors seismic activity.

John Ebel, director of the Weston Observatory in Weston, Mass., said the epicenter of the 1.7 quake was 3 miles south-southwest of Warwick. It hit at 9:32 p.m.

"I heard it was felt in Warwick and Cranston. An event this small isn't going to be felt that far," Ebel said.

He said the earthquake happened in an area of Rhode Island where they've had earthquakes in the past.

"It's just another reminder that we have regular earthquakes throughout the New England region," Ebel said.

Ebel said there is always the potential for strong seismic activity in the region, but experts just don't know when earthquakes will strike.

Cranston police received numerous reports of a "loud explosion" that turned out to be the earthquake.

http://www.turnto10.com/news/2536251/detail.html?treets=pro&tid=2652901447813&tml=pro_12pm&tmi=pro_12pm_11941_10550110072003&ts=H

fishweewee
10-07-2003, 01:47 PM
BM must have been near an open flame when that happened. :hihi:

BigBo
10-07-2003, 05:12 PM
That was me. I slipped on some rocks down that way last night.:laughs:

Clammer
10-07-2003, 06:13 PM
Double six pack Dude