View Full Version : Five Things I Hate About Fishing!

BigFish
10-08-2003, 05:58 PM
1. Surfers....they suck big time. I go to one of my favorite spots a few weeks ago with a few buddies and we are fishing for about four hours, all of a sudden these two "Dudes" paddle their boards right out in front of us. They must have figured, "Hey, lets hang ten right in front of those guys ch#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&g the 2 ounce pencil poppers with the treble hooks". Not too smart "Dude". Wouldn't you think these airheads would see us fishing and move on? So after a few casts..."At their heads", and a few kind, well chosen words, they elected to move down the beach a little. To show them that I was not a bad guy we eventually waved them back over as the fishing had died for some reason. If I had shown up after they did and they were surfing, I would not have fished right where they were surfing, so wouldn't you think these guys would use their heads for something other than a dreadlock holder?:hihi: :laugha:

2. Boat guys that decide that since the fish are blitzing within casting distance of the surf fisherman, it might be a good idea to troll a tube and worm right through the surface feeding fish instead of laying outside and making a few casts into them. Real bright guys some of those boat guys. (Relax, I said some of them, if this offends you then you must be one of them.) :doh: When this does happen, I generally like to load my rod with a 3 oz. Hopkins and play "Lets See If I Can Nail The Boat Guy". Usually after a few well placed casts the light dawns on the "Captain" and he moves out a bit.

3. When you are slingin' eels, and you hook a fish and you vacate the spot for a few moments to unhook the fish for release, sometimes I need to shine a little light on the fish to remove the hook so I turn my back on the water so as not to spook the fish and by the time I turn to release the fish....some jackass decides to jump in my bootprints.:doh: Not a problem though...I just walk over to the offending party and inform him that I am suffering from a rare disorder where if someone infringes on my fishing area, my 300 pound body goes into convulsions usually resulting in the offender being hip checked into the surf. Now realize that I respect other people and their space to the extreme degree, but I will not have my toes stepped on by anyone. Remember folks, you can get further with a few kind words in the form of a threat, than you can with a few kind words.:laugha: I just want to be treated as I treat others which I do not think is a bad thing.

4. Fisherman who feel that they need to walk as close to your back cast as they can when you are slingin' eels in the dark of night....The cure? An unfortunate graphite slap in the head usually does the trick.:smash:

5. Fisherman who waste fish....yeah waste fish...catch the fish, get caught up in the moment, and then just don't know what they are going to do with the fish, or they just do not feel like cleaning it. Such a waste. I caught three out of state guys down the Race a while ago dicarding as many as eight bluefish in various locations right on the trail. Not in the dunes...right in the middle of the trail. These blues were in the 13-14 pound size, real nice ones and it really ticked me off:lossinit: so after reporting it to the Rangers, the offending trio were each fined fifty bucks each for littering. They could have been fined fifty bucks per fish but the Ranger cut them some slack. I just do not like to waste the resource. At the time I would have given my front teeth for a 14 pound blue. Evidently they had caught them the day before and just did not clean them or bleed them and they just threw them on the beach. And there they were, fishing again that day...I hope they got nothing more than the fifty dollar tickets that day.

Discussion...Objection...Agreement...Any additions?

CAL
10-08-2003, 06:15 PM
What about the people that let their dogs off the leashes so they can swim right where my line is, or so the dogs can swipe the pogies out of my bucket :af:

I actually hooked one of those dogs in the leg this spring.

RIJIMMY
10-08-2003, 07:39 PM
I hate jerks with their lights shining on the water. I was fishing Brenton Pt in the summer, some guy pulls up facing the water with his lights on for 20 minutes while he rigs up.
Also Charlestown Breach, now that all the tough guys in their 4 wheels can pull up on the sand to see whats going on. WHat you can't get off your arse and walk the 30' feet to the breachway? You have to drive on the beach...and by the way, WITH YOUR LIGHTS ON !!!!

Notaro
10-08-2003, 09:01 PM
Originally posted by CAL
What about the people that let their dogs off the leashes so they can swim right where my line is, or so the dogs can swipe the pogies out of my bucket :af:

I actually hooked one of those dogs in the leg this spring.

YESS!! That happens to me all the time, man.

5 things I hate abt fishing:

1) Undisciplined children who almost trash your expensive surf gears and scream and talk so bloody loud. The worst part is that they can swim in where you are fishing! That includes bathers!

2) A pothead teen comes to you and starts harassing you (remma that CAL? Last Saturday).

3) Rich and un-mannered people crowding you on your spot and parking their boats in front of you.

4) When I catch a fish from a pier, idiots have no clues that I was calling for help to land the fish.

5) Boaters being disrespectful to surfcasters.

fishweewee
10-08-2003, 09:04 PM
:af: speak softly and carry high velocity projectile firepower :af:

Goose
10-08-2003, 11:12 PM
Wow, I never had any of that chit happen ta me! :laughs:

Worst thing I hate is waking up early for work with little sleep and no bass. :doh::yawn:

Jonny Bolt
10-08-2003, 11:38 PM
Oh man, I can attest. I had the surfer thing happen to me yesterday, 'cept there was about 15 of them. I couldnt believe it. They woot right down on ya.

And I had the boat thing happen to me twice today, yes, that 2 TIMES. I started the day by fishing off the beach on North Hampton. It was low tide, so I walked across ALOT of rocks to get out on the structure. within 1 minute, a boat shows up, and lands about 30 feet directly in front of me. I got so sick of being eyeball #^&#^&#^&#^&ed, I walked all the way back.

Then I went to the Jetty in Rye Harbor, 10 minutes later I had some dudes in a dual-outboard asking me "is there any left", I just nodded, as to not be too vocal. So they just sat there lol. I couldve thrown a Derek Lowe strike they were so close. I got aggravated and left.

I ended up at the Hampton Jetty, got a flounder and a blue, but ZERO Striper action. I am so demoralized.

5 things I hate about fishing...

1.) People who get in my way, eyeball %$%$%$%$%$ harass, provoke, cast over, or negatively effect my fishing experience.

2.) Not catching any Stripers.

3.) Not being able to walk, jump, climb, crawl, or cast out to where I need to, in order to land a Striper.

4.) Not catching any Stripers.

5.) when all the Stripers leave the estuaries. This is when it gets increasingly harder for me to land my beloved Stripers. Throw me on the marsh, and give me some Powerbait Power Eels, some chunk Herring and a can of wd-40, and it's like I'm on a Pro-Tour. On a boat, I make people mad and they want to fight me I land so many Stripers lol. But put me on the beach (sand or structure), and I can't catch the flu.

BigBo
10-09-2003, 05:13 AM
What I hate about fishing?

When Macojoe catches a 30 lber and I get a skunk.:bshake: :D

Hey buddy.:wavey:

lennyr
10-09-2003, 06:24 AM
!. getting suited up in my waders (to much time)
2. getting suited up in my waders and people asking me "going fishing?
3. Walking home from fishing and everyone along the way asking "catch anything?
4. BLUE FISH!
5. #%* BLUE FISH!!

RIROCKHOUND
10-09-2003, 07:11 AM
1 People who talk on cell phones (exception is when I called to get a Sox score during game 5 last week :D)... Hey the sox are number 2 to red hot fishing...

2. 30kts of wind when the forcaster calls for 10-15... Gusts the other night almost caught me off guard and knocked me off my favorite pile

3. People who jump ou of rotation or jump in early

4. Rude tourista's fishing our state :D

5. Rude Locals who think they own the spot.. (It even happens TOO locals, if you're not from town x.. your basically a tourist to some people, even if you fish 5 nights a week, and they fish 1....)

Bryan
aka
'Hound

jugstah
10-09-2003, 07:14 AM
I hate when I get a friendly wager going on who's gotta have the big fish, and I lose by an inch or so.

Big Vern
10-09-2003, 08:09 AM
1. Bluefish under 8 lbs.
2. Not Catching Stripers
3. Not catching large stripers.
4. Spiny Dogfish.
5. Not catching large stripers.

bassmaster
10-09-2003, 08:57 AM
never had a problem with surfers, most are Young kids and stay in one spot all together.
some tell me of fish out there and I yar at a few and if theres a bunch of holes or a bar, I'll fish the edge if there there 1st.
I hate being mugged By New Yawkers in vans
But its better to talk and then tell all Your friends on the surf:laughs:
and let them do the dirty work.
i dunno who was tossing fish there But that scwers us with unwanted sticker flashing and other BS.
I try My best to Hide so leave Me alone................................

hooked
10-09-2003, 09:14 AM
1. sitting at this f-ing desk while someone else is out casting into a blitz
2. bluefish teethmarks on by blurple Tattoo darter
3. soccer, hockey, swimteam, CCD, dance lessons all starting in September/October
4. living an hour from a decent bait shop
5. beautiful Fall days that fall between Tuesday and Thursday and weekend weather that blows

Krispy
10-09-2003, 09:42 AM
I hate when an ash from my smoke blows onto my lip. Ouch.
I hate slicing my fingers on braid..... Then eating french fries. Ouch
I hate bluefish shoving trebles into my waders. Damn.
I hate all the stuff I forget in my truck when I get out there. Damn
I hate people that play an 8# fish like a trophy for 20min. Ugh

Newboater
10-09-2003, 10:13 AM
1. Not having time to go out in my boat even in Portsmouth Harbor or nearby points to fish.

2. Not knowing how to fish

3. Not knowing how to properly put bait on hook

4. Not knowing if my hook is big enough to too big

5. Not having a fishing buddy that will teach me

Aaarrghhhhhh and the weather is nice

Sarge

BigFish
10-11-2003, 12:35 PM
I also hate when people ask "What are the bluefish hitting?". I tell them to thru wire an old sneaker with some treble hooks and chuch it out there because for pete sake, what won't bluefish hit?:confused: :smash: :wall: :doh:

Christian
10-11-2003, 12:52 PM
1.PEOPLE
2.school
3.not being able to fish as much as i want to
3.upside down spinning reels
4.people with live bait
5.chunking
6.winter

BigFish
10-11-2003, 02:17 PM
Hey...watch it there Mr. Christian, I fish live eels. I am guessing that you have not yet fished eels....hmmmmm, you should give it a try, it is the best.:uhuh: Also you are so right about upside down spinning reels, that irritates the hell out of me.:lossinit:

mikecc
10-11-2003, 04:56 PM
sorry

Nebe
10-11-2003, 05:16 PM
Is that picture for real!? I fish the mouth of the Narrow River alot and there are a few Jet ski-ers that I would love to do that to....

Jet Skis = pure evil:mad:

missing link
10-11-2003, 05:56 PM
If any surf fisherman cast a plug in my boat I'd catch it in my mouth and keep it
I have great respect for surf fisherman and would never jepordize there zone .
I've been close but no one had enough arm to get in in my mouth. later LINK;) ;)

Van
10-12-2003, 12:47 PM
Originally posted by Christian
1.PEOPLE
2.school Education is the only way dude.
3.not being able to fish as much as i want to (see #1)
3.upside down spinning reels OK
4.people with live bait You got to be kidding
5.chunking (see #4)

6.winter (go ice fishing(I like to ski))

Christian
10-12-2003, 12:55 PM
:D
how bout i hate when other people have liveies and i dont. :D but i still hate chunkin.
school:smash:

Van
10-12-2003, 01:03 PM
My buddy and I like CHUNKING !!!!

BigFish
10-12-2003, 03:11 PM
Beautiful fish Van. Tom must be pleased.:uhuh: Keep on chunkin'.

STEVE IN MASS
10-12-2003, 03:52 PM
Five things I hate about fishing:

1) Living an hour or so from the water

2) Because of # 1, not being able to go enough

3,4,5) repeat the above two ten times....

Agreed, all the other stuff is annoying, but if you're on the water, then......try not to sweat it.......:)

Justfishin'
10-12-2003, 05:22 PM
1. The guys who bring "shills" with them so they can keep more than their limit.Three times in the past two years guys have brought their girlfriends/wives with them and had them stand there or cast and hand them the rod so they could get another rod in the rotation-then take it back when a fish was on. They're not fishing- just an excuse to keep four fish and two spots. This goes double for the a-hole I saw last year with 3 fish in his trunk at the end of the night- and I did report his license plate to the D.E.P.. I hope they caught him with the 5 fish.

2. Fish sadists-Do you really have to stomp on that blue or short bass with your korkers and rip their jaws off? Ever hear of flattening your barbs or taking the center treble off? Why kill it because you don't want to or can't keep it?

3. Tackle/gear snobs- If that (local) guy wants to fish with a glass rod, mono, and a 704, so what? He's having fun,didn't have to spend $900 and can probably cast farther than you.

4.Keeping shorts out of the water too long to measure them(or to see if anyone's watching). Heres a trick- wrap a piece of masking tape around your rod, mark it with a sharpie and cover it with scotch tape. It cleans up easy with paint thinner at the end of the season. And put the mark at 29"- fish shrink as they dry out.

5.Yeah, the nasty locals. I'm an American taxpayer, I don't litter, don't crowd a spot and try to be as polite as possible when fishing.I belong to several conservation groups and spend as much as I can in the local economy and shops (not the chain stores).But I'm just a working stiff ,not a tourist, so lay off with the abuse! Patience wears thin........

When I first was able to start traveling around to fish I met lots of local guys who were real gentlemen that took the time to teach the right way to fish on their turf .My buddies and I repected that and tried to tread softly. But this new I I, Me Me, Mine Mine, group lately has even chased them off. I miss them, But no, I'm not going to stop fishing the salt, hope springs eternal .

Slingah
10-13-2003, 05:21 PM
I hate chunkin, ignorant surfers, idiots with flashlights and leaky waders.

Washrat
10-14-2003, 08:56 AM
hate to wait for fishin buddies

Krispy
10-14-2003, 09:05 AM
I hate getting smashed in the crotch by incoming waves. Happens no matter where I stand in the surf

Notaro
10-14-2003, 09:08 AM
Originally posted by Krispy
I hate getting smashed in the crotch by incoming waves. Happens no matter where I stand in the surf
:o :eek: :shocked:

Wear the cup, man... lol:p

Rappin Mikey
10-14-2003, 12:51 PM
1. The long a$$ drive to fish
2. remembering you forgot to take a dump right after you slip into your waders
3. mung
4. skates and dogs
5. People who won't try driving with just there parking lights
6. People who don't air down
7. Running out of beer
8. Listening to my brother wine about catching no fish
9. Not fishing with my brother
10. The long a$$ drive home

RickBomba
10-14-2003, 01:09 PM
Mikey, that's ten responses. I guess they teacha no math at AIC
Here's my list
#1. Mikey harassing me at work in the middle of a busy Saturday night to find out what time I'm meeting him in Truro.
#2. Mikey drinking all my beer, that's why we've run out
#3. Mikey putting funny stuff all over me, then posting it on the internet
#4. Paying for a charter for me and Mikey, to only have him wrestle away the only fish that I've had on all day
#5. Mikey's farts because he forgot to go to the bathroom before he left the campground.
OK boys and girls, that's it.
Rick

rizzo
10-14-2003, 01:31 PM
1. Fly-by-night light tackle guide when he fishes off watch hill, no consideration for shorefishermen OR other boaters. Will do anything for for a 5 pounds schoolie.

2. Guys who come in at watch hill at night and leave their high beams on the water for 5 minutes to watch the surf. Of course they don't have a care in the world for the half dozen guys that have been there all night

3. Moochers... You catch a nice fish, theyre on your back the whole time you're fighting it and they harass you to give it to them while youre taking it off the hook

4. People that gaff every fish they catch in the gut, then release them.

5. Guides that fish monomoy that can't even tell the difference between a silverside and sandeel, yet they're they're experts and they know more than you.

schoolie monster
10-14-2003, 03:42 PM
Lot of bitterness and anger here. I thought fishing was supposed to be fun? Maybe you should smoke some more wacky weed whilest angling, I here that mellows you out a bit. I of course, would not know... :)

1. winter... Van, skiing doesn't replace fishing. I can say that b/c I don't ski.
2. missing great fishing... like seeing huge blitzes on the way home from work, I know I have to work, but I actually have the time to take, so its frustrating to have other factors prevent that... at least my time carries over, so I'll have tons of vacay time next year.
3. bass migrating south... was it something we said?
4. leaving the rag I used to clean up the bluefish blood and vomit in the front left storage box for a week
5. someone telling me that my fish don't count b/c it doesn't fit into their narrow view of the sport... for example, not on plugs, not on bait, not big enough, not on the right rod, reel or line, my rod sucks, my rod is too expensive, I'm a snobby boater, I'm a jealous surf fisherman, my rod is off the rack, my lures are not homemade, that trip was guided, that fish is not a striper, that fish is a freshwater fish, nantucket sucks, you didn't stay out all night till you keeled over, so you ain't hardcore, and last but not least, its like shooting ducks in a barrel, you're fish don't count b/c they are from the BOAT.

BigFish
10-14-2003, 04:30 PM
Washrat....I don't wait for people to show up for fishing:doh: If they ain't there, they know where I am and they can catch up.:uhuh: Basically...I don't fish with people I have to wait for.:smash:

Jenn
10-14-2003, 07:37 PM
1. The drive to and fro....
2. time....(see #1)
3. "snobs" that wont even nod or say good evening because they think they are god( oops did I say thaT?????)
4. locals that bitch youre in their spot (in a national park) hey honey I pay the same taxes you do.....sorry but I have been fishing there since I was a wee little girl.
5. people that take shorts/too many, waste or trash the beach....
5. people that dont fill in their ruts after getting stuck
5. people that pig pile you if there is a sign of fish

oops that was five.....sorry///

Jonny Bolt
10-15-2003, 12:20 AM
Ok, since I started catching Stripers again after my 2 week slump, I'd like to redo mine lol.

1.) Birdsnests, loop-diddy-loops, and yo-yo's, right in the middle of a Bass Blitzkrieg. Really pisses me off. Happened today, coulda caught over 20 fish, but only got about 15 cuz I had to take a "time-out". CRAP

2.) The not taking a dump thing before going out, I have to agree. I almost pooped 'em Saturday afternoon. Luckily I was only down the street from my house. The people passing me as I was driving home could see I was in pain.

3.) Forgetting what line I had on a back up reel, that casts so well, and having to settle for some dog#^&#^&#^&#^& stuff that takes about 100 feet off my cast. I had an emergency the other day, and had to swap rods and reels and everything else. Really put a damper on the day.

4;) Losing my friggin Skitter Pop's. My favorite lures, and I've lost 2 in the past 2 days. PISS ME OFF

5.) $500 reels. Give me a break. I love great design and uality, but give me a break.