View Full Version : Pedro has no class

Got Stripers
10-11-2003, 07:51 PM
turned the game off after watching this chump threaten to bean one man and then throw an old one to the ground by the head. This man has no class, he should have been tossed.

gilligan
10-11-2003, 08:22 PM
if he ran at me swinging i would have punched him first then threw him down and then punched him again. what was he supposed to do? take the punch? beat it. he deserved that . dont mess with a bull unless your ready for the horns!

UserRemoved1
10-12-2003, 05:55 AM
I didn't watch the game but say the thing on the news later, and I'd say the same thing, the guy charged him with intent of physical harm, he got what he deserved. I probably woulda kneed him on the way down too :D 70 or not it wasnt right.....

MakoMike
10-12-2003, 06:55 AM
I might be able to agree on his altercation with Zim, but what about hitting one guy and threatening the entire dug out with bean balls? And Ramirez definately should have bee tossed. When was the last time you saw a batter charge the mound, thow off an ump and not get bounced? The sox dod not have a lot of class on display yesterday, I thought they were better than that. :(

Nhten
10-12-2003, 10:02 AM
1st,,,the gerbal deserved what he got,,,he charged Pedro . 2nd,,he wasnt threatening the "whole" dugout,he was telling Posada that if he wanted to hit him (Garcia) in the head,he could have. Do you really think a major league pitcher cant hit almost exactly what he wants with a fastball? I didnt agree with Manny cryin about a pitch that was high and " a little " inside,,he was just fanning the flames for sure.

Goose
10-12-2003, 10:44 AM
Seems like the sox tried to get clemens out of his game plan and make a turn in the series. Well it didn't work , so far ;). They got what it takes to take them clean anyways!

That was great watching Pedro make a carpet muncher out of Zimmer! lol :laughs:

Brooksie
10-12-2003, 11:27 AM
If you feel your too old to get thrown to the ground, then do not not charge a player leading with your head, it's that simple.

Pedro was aiming for Garcia's bat for an easy strike, what was the big deal? :laughs:

Nhten
10-12-2003, 01:34 PM
"aiming for Garcia's bat",,, thats exactly what I was thinkin when I saw the pitch...LMAO

likwid
10-12-2003, 01:52 PM
Pedro wasn't threatening the whole dugout, if you saw the replays of both the yankees bench and pedro, he was yelling at Zimmer who'd been egging him on since the wild pitch.

fishsmith
10-12-2003, 05:56 PM
I don't think Pedro hit the guy, I think he hit his bat, why else would the ball reflect off so high, and why didn't the batter start heading to first base? Regardless the sox lost and we've got an up hill battle, but a week ago we were 0 - 2, and now we're still playing.
Then the Spankee's bullpen beat up the red sox grounds keeper for cheering for his team, so there are no good guys, just spoiled talented athletes.

beachwalker
10-12-2003, 07:17 PM
Pedro is a great competitor that definetly makes his presense known on the edges. He isn't (nor is Roger) afraid of going well over the edge on occasion.

We'll get over it some day.

:D

JohnR
10-12-2003, 08:19 PM
Both pitchers are the biggest head hunters in the league. And its no problem in NY when Roger goes after someone (often their head)... Do you think Pedro would miss Garcia's head? Hehehe. No, he it Garcia where he wanted. I doubt it was a wild pitch. And while I'm not a fan of pitchers going after hitters (and Roger & Pedro both do that) but I find it really hypocritical when people scream and yell when the other team gets beaned by a pitcher "going after someone's head" and their guy gets a free base, but when their pitcher hits someone, it's a "wild pitch" or that pitcher is trying to protect his "inside of the plate"...

As for Zim? It's not like Pedro went into the Yankee Dugout and started beating the crap out of him. If you listen to what the Y announcer said it would seem like that. But ZIM CHARGED PEDRO...

beachwalker
10-12-2003, 08:37 PM
Well I don't know about NO problem John. Nobody goes head hunting in MLB without geting in trouble for it.

The Piazza saga was a gas.

It was a bench clearer.

What I want to know is what happened out in the pen ?

bud8fan
10-12-2003, 09:56 PM
Well with the rain out we are more than likely gonna see Pedro go at it again!!

What will the outcome be?

Mueller, Millar, Nomar!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ITS TIME TO COWBOY UP!!!! If their bats dont wake up they are in a whole mess of !@#$%^&!!!!!!!!!!!

likwid
10-12-2003, 10:08 PM
Mia needs to kick Nomar a couple times in the head...

Maybe he'll start hitting again :rolleyes:

Got Stripers
10-13-2003, 06:00 AM
Sorry I've got no sympathy for Pedro, makes more money than God, you'd think that would buy you some class. I've been competitive all my life, ask anyone that fishes with me, even in a relaxed atmosphere like that, I still have it going. Throwing at someone to intentionally cause harm, threatening to bean more batters and then tossing the old man to the ground by the head IMHO is a bit much. Did anyone notice how easy he grabbed zimmer by the head and tossed him down, it would have been just as easy to hold him at bay, he was as much of a threat as a 10 year old girl swinging at him. Tossing someone to the ground using his head just isn't classy, but if you chear for that, I guess a good intentional helmet hit to the head of a QB, or a message sending high stick in the face is good sport too.

JohnR
10-13-2003, 06:20 AM
Originally posted by Got Stripers
but if you chear for that, I guess a good intentional helmet hit to the head of a QB, or a message sending high stick in the face is good sport too.

I have not heard anyone "cheer" for it, while I'm not against watching my teams getting into the rare bench clearings, I don't like to see people getting hurt & players ejected... I just see that as not a great situation where choice is clear & easy to take. Add the tempers and competitveness of these guys and it's not suprising at all - I don't think anyone condones it...

Mr. Kav
10-13-2003, 06:45 AM
hind sight is better than foresight.

Pedro did the right thing. A man charging at him in the mitts of a potential melee, Pedro got the threat ( zimmer) away from him and got prepared for any other threat. 225+ lb man 70yrs old or 30yrs old is a threat in my book. That is all pedro and red sox need is pedro holding zimmer until he calms down only for a another yankee to cold cock and hurt him while doing so. it is easy to critisize him now and say "he should have sat zimmer down and reasoned with him or what ever" now after it is over.

zimmer was the aggresor and he should have and was treated as such.

Brooksie
10-13-2003, 07:18 AM
Originally posted by Got Stripers
or a message sending high stick in the face is good sport too.

Actually, dropping the gloves and pounding away is a good message and makes for good sport. :happy:

bloocrab
10-13-2003, 09:12 AM
G/S.....:eek: ...don't tell me you cover your eyes during a hockey fight!!!;)

Zimmer knows he was wrong...thats' why he shame-fully apologized.

Pedro could have EASILY hit him with a 100 mph punch. To me, it shows a little integrity that ALL he did was control the aggressor.

GO SOX

chris L
10-13-2003, 11:51 AM
botom line is zimmer is 72 . how you feel if it was your parent or grandparent . dont go thru this with blind hatedred . Martinez could have done many other things than toss him down by his head . Zimmer was totally wrong for going after pedro in the first place . No one was without guilt that partook in this sorry excuse of an example of teammanship . poor kids that had to watch this crap .

shore manic
10-13-2003, 12:19 PM
watched there heroes acting up!! yes it was an intense game and tensions were running high. both teams were out of line. pedro made a big mistake by doing the pointing.zimmer should have never charged him.and as far as the dugout incident what were they thinking?? get over it and move on to tonights game. throw some leather and start hitting the damn ball!!!! COWBOY UP!!!!

Mr. Kav
10-13-2003, 12:26 PM
how is the bottom line " zimmer is 72" ???????

the bottom line is a 72 year old, 250lb man charged at him with the intent on hurting him. that is the bottom line.

chris L
10-13-2003, 02:30 PM
think about it ! how about step out of the way of the 72 year old 250#er . be be the better man walk away . not to mention the laws in this country with regards to injuring a senior citizen . They were both wrong !!! But pedro shouldnt have thrown him down .

CAL
10-13-2003, 05:20 PM
Zimmer got what he deserved. Regardless of age you don't go after someone unless you expect the same in return. He's lucky all he got was a face plant.

As for the laws about injuring the elderly, I think they go out the window when it's the elderly that takes the first shot.

missing link
10-13-2003, 05:43 PM
wait for tonight!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:smash: :smash: :smash:

shore manic
10-13-2003, 07:38 PM
not that many years ago when i used to frequent the fanueil hall in the city of boston. hey did i spell fanuiel right it just looks wrong no matter how ya spell it. when i played hockey i used to be one of those guys. and i was the goalie, get out of my crease man. one warning and then the slash to where ever terry o' was one of the best and dave schultz made a career out of it. how bout mckenzie,dallas,carlton,and all the the other ruffians you grew up with in hockey! lighten up g.s. it ain't all bad. hooligans again!!!!

Slingah
10-13-2003, 08:52 PM
Zim deserved what he got. Old ...fat ... whatever.

Got Stripers
10-14-2003, 05:27 AM
No way, I grew up watching the old bruins and loved a good fight. But there is a huge difference to someone willing to drop the gloves and someone willing to risk putting a guys eye out because he feels he can risk a penalty to send his message with a high stick to the face.

I'm not saying Zimmer didn't deserve to be handled, but let's face it an overweight short 72 year old could have been fended off with a straight arm. Guys get on Clemens, but I'll give him credit, he showed more class than our guy and pitched a good game.

Originally posted by bloocrab
G/S.....:eek: ...don't tell me you cover your eyes during a hockey fight!!!;)

Zimmer knows he was wrong...thats' why he shame-fully apologized.

Pedro could have EASILY hit him with a 100 mph punch. To me, it shows a little integrity that ALL he did was control the aggressor.

GO SOX

bloocrab
10-14-2003, 07:51 AM
I understand your point G/S... I just have a funny feeling that if it had been a push and grab kinda fight...it would have turned into a big...pig-pile on Pedro ....and that would've really sucked. We lose him.....and the chances are that more slim

nor-easter
10-14-2003, 10:58 AM
Mother(God Rest her soul) had a saying that went like this:
"The more you stir a turd, the worse it stinks!"

MLB has fined those involved and so let us ALL move forward to the next game.

Today at 4:00 PM...Cheer for your TEAM, Cheer for your PLAYER and don't forget to THANK GOD WE LIVE IN A COUNTRY WHERE WE CAN "PLAY BALL" !!!!!

GO RED SOX!!!!!!

I have no idea where the Fox Network got those "announcers" but we are sure getting a screwing having to listen to their crap.
Where the heck is "REM DOG"!!!!!

Saltheart
10-14-2003, 11:49 AM
Ramirez is a cry baby. He started the wjhole thing for nothing. That pitch was nothing to start that whole brawl over. If I was the ump I'd have tossed him.

The Pedro and Zimmer thing was stupid on Zimmers part.

I don't know about the Pedro wild pitch. Sometimes the ball gets away from you even if you are a pro. . I Just don't know.

schoolie monster
10-14-2003, 01:54 PM
I have to agree with GS, Petey is a jerk. He drilled Garcia in the back on purpose b/c he was gettin' knocked around. That's lame.

But the yankees overreacted... he didn't throw at Garcia's head like roger has done a 100 times. Roger almost killed Piazza a couple years ago and he hit Mueller in the face this season. Pedro aimed at Garcia's ribs. And Garcia then becomes a professional wrestler yelling, picking fights and even charging into that dugout altercation. Major tough guy I guess.

And the pitches in the earlier game vs. the yanks that hit Soriano and Jeter were freakin' strikes. Soriano stands on top of the plate.

As for Manny, he knew it was comin' and he overreacted. But again, the yanks covered themselves in glory... if you heard Clemens after the game, he said, " I didn't start it"... what is he, 8 years old. I didn't start it? This is a grown man talking.

As for Zimmer, badmouth Pedro all you want for throwing the pitch and things he said later, but when someone comes at you, you defend yourself. And he didn't punch him, he just O-layed him and the idiot fell down.

The whole thing was embarassing and IMO, it was 70% Pedro's fault for being a punk and hitting a guy out of frustration.

Glad its behind them and its 2-2... let's go Derek.

BigFish
10-18-2003, 03:43 PM
If anybody ever charged me like that regardless of age I would have done at least what Pedro did. Pedro took the high road and simply sidestepped the charging Rhino, took him by the horns and tossed him aside.

beachwalker
10-18-2003, 05:30 PM
Exactly Bigfish.

He may have tossed him with a little zeal but these are grown-ups we are dealing with, right ?