View Full Version : BasicPatrick...How About A Vineyard Update.

BigFish
10-12-2003, 03:15 PM
Hey BasicPatrick, seeing as you are freshly returned from the Vineyard, how about an update on the fishing over there and the Derby.:uhuh: :kewl: :chatter :bounce:

BasicPatrick
10-12-2003, 03:41 PM
Ok Larry, Here it is.

Upon arriving in Heaven (read...MV) my friend and local Charter Captain told me that if I wanted to catch fish I should act like it was August and not late September. He was right.

Boat fishing is good but the patterns are more like late summer not Derby Fall. We caught a lot of boat fish but nothing of real good size.

The shore fishing is generally slow. It did seem to be picking up a bit the last week but it was way off from the last few years. A few days ago I did finally find a very hungry lone school of blues and as of right now I am holding 2nd for Flyrod Shore Bluefish. I was leading but gave the spot out to those in the house with me and Brother of board member "Squid Kids Dad" bested me by .12 pounds to take the lead. I am now his "New Best Friend"

All in all the fishing was slower than previous years but we at the house and MSBA members in general might be having our best year on the prize end of things.

MSBA Sec'y Sherry got a Daily and a Women's weekly for a Shore bonito

Fisherwoman got a Woman's Weekly for a Shore Bass, and a mystery prize

Chuck got a third place daily for a boat Bass

I got a daily and a second place daily for Fly Shore blues, a fourth place daily for all tackle shore blues, a boat grand Slam pin, and two mystery prizes (one for Fly and one for blues).

My brother got a second place daily for all tackle shore bluefish.

Brother of Squid Kid's Dad got a Daily and will probably get the weekly for a Fly Shore blue, he is also in second for the Shore Grand Slam and got two mystry prizes

Rod McC's son is holding second for Shore Albie

Like I said, we are doing ok on the prize boards but the fishing in general is slower than in previous years.

BasicPatrick
10-12-2003, 03:42 PM
Larry,

you gotta get some Aquaskinz. In the surf down there I was able to fly fish in total comfort. right there in the wash and dry as a bone.

JohnR
10-12-2003, 04:00 PM
Wish I could have gotten out there :( ....

BTW - "Brother of Squid Kid's Dad" is SWIMMER here on S-B :laughs:

BasicPatrick
10-12-2003, 04:08 PM
John R

Swimmer is frank???

Squid kids Dad
10-12-2003, 04:15 PM
Basic....Yes Swimmer is Frank....And he does consider you his NEW BEST FRIEND...:p ...He picked up his additional pin this morning and his 2nd mystery prize of the derby..But he may need a bigger hat...His head is getting bigger...:laughs: ..He a had a great derby this year..My hat is off to him:cheers: Congarts S wimmer

BigFish
10-12-2003, 05:16 PM
BasicPatrick might have some older "bigger hats" as his hat size changes frequently:laugha: :hihi: :jester: that he could give to Swimmer, but I need to grab a couple for myself because I am still hoping to go up a few hat sizes myself.:laugha: :hihi: :doh: :huh: Way to go BP, I knew you would do well. Congrats to all the others especially Fisherwoman, Baitcaster, Chuck, Sherry and all the gang that was there....you too Swimmer, nice work.:kewl: :claps:

BigFish
10-12-2003, 05:18 PM
Whooops! Sorry, I forgot Squid Kids Dad, way to go there yourself SKD.:cheers:

Mr. Sandman
10-12-2003, 06:47 PM
I saw basic patrick's name on the daily's quite a bit. You did very well considering how slow the shore fishing was (and still is)
Most of the blues and bass from shore are all comming from bait guys fishing bottom with half a doz rods scattered along the south side. Not my cup of tea so I did not do as well this year.

I just returned from the beach fishing dusk and watched at least 30 guys...25 of which knew what they were doing toss everthing imaginable into the surf from 4:30 to 7:00....and no one caught squat. Think about that 30 guys...fishing Wasque in mid oct at dusk and not one even had a stinking bluefish. Whats wron with this picture?

I have not seen ANY fish on the surface except for occasional school of albies that did not bite anything. The only way I could catch an albie was blind casting for that "lone soldier" crusing around.

It really is amazing that there are NO birds...none. I have not seen birds working at all this year. none. boat or shore. Plenty of bait...tons of bait in the harbors...all kinds.

I have bee doing pretty good on the bass but not fishing around the vineyard.....some people think Nov will be hot...I think it was over before it ever got started. I will fish Nov of course but shore fishing has frankly sucked this year on the vineyard (unless you fished the bottom and even then it wasn't hot). Even with all the ponds opened to the sea...not that may fish were taken there.
There were a couple flurries that made you think that it was starting but then it died again....I have a trip to BI Planned...that should tell you something.

NEXT2NUN
10-12-2003, 07:51 PM
Sandman , I thought it was just me, you just described my fall. I have not seen a fall this bad since hurricane Gloria in 1985!!

BigFish
10-12-2003, 08:14 PM
The fishing has been slow but the water temp. is still very warm. BasicPatrick and I were just talking about this, the temp. is still far above normal, and it is my belief, BP may disagree, that the fish are just now beginning to fall into their feeding for migration mode. The spots I have fished the past two weeks have just begun to heat up and I think we will have some great fishing until at least mid November unless some tropical storm blows it all away as happened last year. Last fall died early and all at once. Some of those tropical storms came in and drove the fish off shore and south. Be patient, the best is yet to come. Too bad you boat guys will be in dry dock. Most of you anyway.

NEXT2NUN
10-12-2003, 08:43 PM
BigFish, I think this year is gone. The whole year has been strange . We got hammered with fish this spring until fathers day, then they flat out split. There are always schoolies around all summer where I am, nothing this year. There were very few fish around the moons in sept, I caught 4 Stripers in Sept. Last year I was getting that every trip. There is so much bait in the river I fish that when the water is calm it looks like it's raining. I'll fish, or keep goin for boat rides, till ice. But my gut tells me there allready gone.

BigFish
10-12-2003, 09:24 PM
Hang in there N2N. You will find I will be proven correct. Shortly there will be reports of large fish taken everywhere. I don't know where you fish, but the spots where I fish have been just as dead as the spots you describe. This past week, large, and I mean fish over 30 pounds are suddenly being taken, I took a 24#
myself the other night and my buddy a 32#. Another guy had a 44# on his tailgate. They are there and they are beginning to feed aggressively. Just keep your line in the water and your ear to the ground. I am going out right now to fish for a few hours. I will let you know what I find. Wish me luck.

BigFish
10-13-2003, 08:08 AM
N2N...good morning. I just woke up. Went out last night for two hours, got one bass on my second cast about 15 pounds and another about an hour later, about 30 inches long, then the moon came on strong and I think it was too damn bright. Unfortunately, I lost my only Habs needlefish plug so now I am bummed out. :bc: I will be going out to my spot a couple more times in the next few nights, I think things will be alot better when we get some cloudy nights. Later, gotta get some coffee.:uhuh:

vineyardblues
10-13-2003, 08:23 AM
Mr Sandman, when did they open the ponds ?
I was on and off for 3 weeks and they were not open,unless they opened them last week ????

VB

Mr. Sandman
10-13-2003, 08:57 AM
The ponds have been open for at least 2 weeks now. (they don't tell anyone when they open it you have to keep your ear to the ground) I am not sure if they are still open or not (they tend to close themselves off after the water level drops)
I fished them a couple nights. not much happening. There was a bunch of guys fishing it, and the only guys that really did anything are the ones that set out a slew of bottom rigs and sat in a chair all night. They did OK (ie a couple fish) but I am not sure that if you sat anywhere on south beach long enough you would catch something.

Swimmer
10-13-2003, 08:59 AM
This post refers to Basic Patricks character and integrity. Pat could have not said a darn thing about where he hooked up with bluefish the day before I caught the fish that bested Pat by .2 pounds, but he didn't. When he came back to the house from the beach, he told us all about the blitz that he and his brother Ron were lucky enough to get in to. I have been to this beach many times and had been threatening to fish there every day I was on the Vineyard, but had not as of the time Pat gaves us the news of the blitz. Hearing that the bluefish were indeed in the area and more specifically where they had shown close to shore I decided to go there the next day. I wasn't there five minutes when the fish showed and we all ran to surfs edge. As any flyrodder will tell you it is easier or at least more helpful flyfishing, when guys are also casting plugs on the surface to blitzing bluefish when your throwing flys at the same fish. It keeps the frenzy active and it draws the blues closer to shore. These fish came up onto the beach almost and I landed three and lost one. Patricks brother caught 14 during the same time bending the hook on his Roberts' lure into an unimaginable shape. Yes, BasicPatrick is my new best friend for telling me about where he caught blues the day before, but thats the kind of guy he is. Yup. :D

Mr. Sandman
10-13-2003, 09:02 AM
OK, now that you are home...please tell me :D

vineyardblues
10-13-2003, 09:39 AM
I LEFT ON OCT 4TH :( I BET IT WAS THE NEXT DAY ...LOL
I CHECKED EVERY DAY :)
VB

BasicPatrick
10-13-2003, 10:22 AM
Frank,

thanks for the kind words. Now hopefully we stay on the board until next Saturday night.

Mr Sandman...do you own a fly rod.:D

BasicPatrick
10-13-2003, 10:31 AM
Oh Frank...I mean Swimmer....

you got the Weekly also:smash:

Mr. Sandman
10-13-2003, 11:13 AM
Originally posted by BasicPatrick
Frank,

thanks for the kind words. Now hopefully we stay on the board until next Saturday night.

Mr Sandman...do you own a fly rod.:D

Yeah but I don't like to use it. I am a 10-11' surf rod guy...