View Full Version : Fish Showing up in wareham

mikecc
04-18-2001, 06:10 AM
Fish Showing up in wareham.The guys are getting them at the Narrows,Weweantic and Onset at the Stone Bridge Marina. They are using small bucktails with Curl tail grubs.It should not be long for keeper size arrive.
Herring runs are full and the sand eels are showing up plenty of food for them.

Also seeing a few Tautog in the bay out by big bird island and the ledge.

JohnR
04-18-2001, 07:10 AM
Don't know if to laugh or cry but it was much the same last year with fish skipping through to Buzzards Bay. Wait a minute! No fish in South County to speak of, the fish from the toilet (Providence River) are gone. Hey MikeCC, don't kiss your first fish of the season, it may have a high, uh, "nutrient" content (read - sewer lips) :P and rubber gloves don't hurt either....

I was thinking of tagging some of those fish with toilet paper just to see where they went...

Fisherwoman
04-18-2001, 08:36 AM
Mikecc, thanks for the update, will be heading down tomorrow to confirm some of those fish, I think they are holdovers, fresh fish will definatley be coming next week as the temps are supposed to jump up. Will let ya know what we find tomorrow.

JohnR
04-18-2001, 09:18 AM
Hey Mike - how long have there been fish in the local rivers? Anything yet?

Slipknot
04-18-2001, 10:05 AM
OK, that does it . Stripers at my dock and tog at Bird Island, I'm putting the boat in Friday. I can't take it anymore.

mikecc
04-18-2001, 05:41 PM
Fish are fresh not hold overs.
nice white belly.
The fish arrived on Monday and are slow going but it's a start.
Saw a guy get a 25" up inside Onset bay in sunset cove by Shell Pt

JohnR
04-19-2001, 08:22 AM
That's cool. With the weather having warmed up for a few days and some SW winds, The Wall may cough up some fish this weekend - going to try starting tomorrow afternoon...

MikeCC, I'll be down your way tomorrow morning for guides, potential blank, and some other stuff. I also think that those white bellies are probably the "nuclear white" bellies of the Providence fish floating around your waters :P ... Honestly, all those fish in the river were very bright fish since the beginning of March. Not the typically brownish, jelly covered sort you would find in a tight holdover spot. They had been fairly active over the winter and with all of the late winter rains and runoff, the water itself was fairly clean...