View Full Version : STA-BIL STAIN !!!!!

Moose Nuckle
10-16-2003, 03:54 PM
Hello All,
I winterized my boat today. I also put STA-BIL gas treatment in the tank. I spilt a little on the side of the boat which WAS white. I used soft scrub to try to clean it off but no luck. I now have a boat with a reddish color stain around the gas
cap. Any ideas on removing the stain ????

:smash: :smash: :smash: :smash: :smash: :smash: :smash: :smash:

Bill L
10-16-2003, 03:59 PM
Not sure if this will work or not, but try Fiberglass Stain Remover (FSR). Its a gel that you put on, let sit, and rinse off. Its worked pretty well on a variety of stains for me

UserRemoved1
10-16-2003, 04:17 PM
bar keepers friend

JeffH
10-16-2003, 04:26 PM
X-14, it cleans everything or a gel toilet bowl cleaner. Those are the only two boat cleaners I ever buy.

missing link
10-16-2003, 04:37 PM
bar keepers is the best!! get rid of the scum line after running in buzzard's bay.

jeffsod
10-16-2003, 04:55 PM
I used to be responsible for filling all the boats as part of the winterizing process at the boat yard and dumping that stuff in and it is a b____ to remove the stains it leaves. I always kept two rags handy when doing it. One around the funnel and one in my hand to catch / wipe any drips. It helps to wax the hull first or have it wet prior but that won't help you now. The stain should fade though by next spring what ever you use to clean it. We used to use a lot of the cleaner called "spray away" which you might try but I am not sure if that one will remove it. I do know for rust stains and the yellowing scum on the water line you cannot beat 'On & Off' (marykate?). Just don't breath or get that stuff on you. Water neutralizes it quickly.

Another tip if you have the time is to detail and wax your boat hull, insides and rails NOW. Remember last spring? You could count the number of nice waxing days on one hand. Cover it to the water line and just rinse if off in the spring.

BigBo
10-17-2003, 05:16 AM
All of the above work well as does Lime Away.

Washrat
10-17-2003, 08:15 AM
A compound called On-Off is the best stain remover i have ever used. Use gloves and use only use on gelcoat surfaces and chrome. Does well on removing rust stains and green corrosion stains that are otherwise impossible to remove.

Can be purchased at any marine store

Try it, but be careful and use gloves

Moose Nuckle
10-17-2003, 08:41 AM
Thanks guys I knew you would have the answers.