View Full Version : Fishing Cape Ann

Fly Rod
10-18-2003, 08:47 AM
Small to horse mackeral are plentifull in the Bay and along the back shore from Thatchers to Boston. The Glocester habor has schools of Macs also. Footballs have been sighted off the Groner the last few days feeding on the Macs.

Smelt are being caught in the inner harbor from the State pier & also across at the Gortons wharf depending on the wind direction you fish one place or the other.

Good size stripers are still being caught.

RockLobsta
10-20-2003, 05:54 AM
FR

Good stuff. Hopefully things will still be good this weekend. I can't get out till then. Getting cold but still should be some decent fishing for another month or so, eh? Cod should be moving in some I would think.

Thanks for the info....

RL

Fly Rod
10-20-2003, 08:19 AM
RockLobsta

Went out Sunday morning on the rocks along the back shore with the fly rod ,left the boat home. Caught 3 fish small 24" also one 18" Mac and even hooked a 3" bunker. Also cheated a little put the Mac on the fly rod but didn't catch any stripers with it. Had it swimming around for a half hour.

Bait fish and birds tight to the rocks which lasted all morning.

RockLobsta
10-26-2003, 12:19 PM
Well another awesome day off Gloucester!! Went out @08:00 and headed out for some cod fishing. A tad on the chillie side but flat seas made it a nice trip out. Came upon several pods of Dolphin on the way and as we stopped there was another pod waiting for us. Cod fishing was excellent and we boated about 9 cod and a couple Haddock.

Another pod of Dolphins on the return trip stayed with the boat for about five minutes and played in the bow wake. Very cool seeing them swim with us.

Kinda hairy getting through Blyman bridge though. We took a wave over the bow coming under the bridge. There was a few standing waves and the current was ripping.

Fly, you ever get any water going under there? I have not seen that in ten years or so I've been under it. Wierd stuff.

Anyway sweet day out on the water!!

Fly Rod
10-26-2003, 04:48 PM
Glad you had a great day on the water.:happy: :happy:

The canal at the bridge can be very dangeous with minus tides.
People have been thrown out of there boats; boats have flipped over at the mouth of the river. You had a minus 0.9 tide ripping through there and the afternoon tide will be almost a minus 2foot tide. You get two or three 3-4' waves close together. the bow goes down on one wave and the boat dosen't recover quick enough so the next wave grabs you. Your lucky that you weren't thrown against the wooden bulk head. You are fortunate that you haven't had that almost happen before in the last ten years.

Hauled my boat out at 7:30 this morning for the season. Pulled a muscle or whatever in my shoulder while pulling on the transom tye down safty rope. Can't believe that happened. Wasn't doing anything strenoues just pulling on the rope. Was going Bow hunting this week but could hardly lift my arm at the moment.