View Full Version : Boston haba!!! The fat lady is singin!!!

Fisherwoman
10-20-2003, 04:37 PM
BC and I went out on the boat today in the Harbor for the 1st time in about a month. It was pretty dam quite out there. We started at Walloston, then SPectical, then the airport, then Nahant, Then the BG bouy, then the B bouy then Nantasket. Total fish for today 1 keeper cod in 11 hours, 1 jig lost, price of cod $16.99, no bass, no blue's.

Saw flocks of birds working in alot of places but all that was under them were commerands, no fish, still some bait around but I gotta tell ya it was a little chilly out there. There were icecicles on the boat this morning, and the floor was icey too.

I think the fat lady is singin in the harbor. We didn't mark too many fish today and covered alot of water. Gotta go crash now, got the sh## pounded outa me today.

W wind 10mph my a$$!!!!!!

Christian
10-20-2003, 05:10 PM
shudda been there saturday.....:rolleyes:

Jenn
10-20-2003, 05:30 PM
:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

fishweewee
10-20-2003, 05:32 PM
I get to follow with fish down. :hihi:

nightfighter
10-20-2003, 06:59 PM
Saw lotsa fish yesterday pushin bait within casting distance up here as late as yesterday, Oct 19. Saw some good sized ones too, though the 40+ inch fish were being boated, right in front of those of us on the shore:smash: Still got four in the mid 30s (inches) and dozen or more smaller.

Don't write it off yet FW. There's more to this yet, IMO.

Van
10-20-2003, 07:07 PM
Saturday....
Jimmy and I picked up some blues and stripers on live mackies. There were plenty of those around.

There were bass north of the city too.

Got about a 32" at Pt. A. on a live bait, and saw lots of small fish tearing into p.bunker.

It almost over, but not just yet. I might have one more trip left in me. Planning a cod trip too before i haul for the season.

BigFish
10-20-2003, 07:35 PM
Thats not the Fisherwoman I was fishing with the other day at the Race talkin' is it? The end you say? Don't kid yourself FW. :bc: One bad day does not an end of the season make. My buddies are slammin em'. Call me at home Jules, we gotta go out this week. :bounce: :bounce: :faga:

BasicPatrick
10-20-2003, 08:37 PM
FW, I'd bet a Habs Needle that we have keeper Bass in the Harbor after Thanksgiving. Today was a cold Front on a wind change. Just shut em down, that's all.

Also,
This is the beginning of the migration and the fish are moving South in general.

There are still many fish in southern Maine and NH. this info is from you know what fly tyin brother in law and is as of Sunday.

Jonny Bolt
10-20-2003, 09:37 PM
I am in Hampton NH, and its pretty much dead now. I saw my last Blitz last Tuesday, and landed a bunch of bass, no keepers though :( I fished the day after that, wednesday, and it was dead.

I went out today (Monday), cuz it was nice, and i was out of work about 2pm. The birds are hanging around one usual spot, and I saw them be active, or what looked to be active, several times, but no bass. Threw out a pearl 4" wildeye and a Skitter Pop to get both under the surface, and on top, and I couldnt buy a bite.

I fished more structure than waves. It was fairly calm, and it was low tide, but turning and coming in.

Notaro
10-21-2003, 07:47 AM
Oh hell, hey are around now. It's getting chilly now. Rockport should be able to have some basses around in Nov. I fished there last year and I believe that they will be around here. I hope so.

Steve K
10-21-2003, 08:21 AM
I fished Halibut Pt on Saturday and nothing was happening. I did see some bait and one striper swim by. I don't think it is over yet but it sure is close.

Notaro
10-21-2003, 08:24 AM
I caught two schoolies last year on herrings. One thing for sure, they don't eat mack chunks. Steve K, did u fish on the boat or shore?

BigFish
10-21-2003, 08:29 AM
You are all crazy...:jump1: You have a couple bad outings and you are ready to throw in the towel. Well, while you all sit home contemplating the end, I will be out tonight hammering bass till' the cows come home!:happy: :happy: :bounce: Let you know how I do folks, still weeks of fishing left, they gotta eat as they head south, I will be there to feed them. :uhuh:

Fisherwoman
10-21-2003, 09:48 AM
;) DOn't get me wrong here folks, no one is more an optomist than me!!! I said the fat lady is singing, I didn't say the fat lady has sung. We will definatly be out a few more trips this year in the boat before that. Just was pissed that the wind screwed us up again. I am a very patient person most of the time. BC on the other hand gets a little more pesomistic than me:p :p :p

The food is still definatley around for the fish too eat, and there will definatly be more bass coming thru, so please don;t take my post as saying you shouldn;t waste your time. I was just posting about 1 day out there.

Bigfish, me ready to go south, what day are you thinking about???:happy: :happy: :happy: :laughs: :laughs: :laughs:

Steve K
10-21-2003, 10:27 AM
Notaro,

I fished from shore.

Steve

Notaro
10-21-2003, 11:27 AM
Originally posted by BigFish
You are all crazy...:jump1: You have a couple bad outings and you are ready to throw in the towel. Well, while you all sit home contemplating the end, I will be out tonight hammering bass till' the cows come home!:happy: :happy: :bounce: Let you know how I do folks, still weeks of fishing left, they gotta eat as they head south, I will be there to feed them. :uhuh:

Yes, I am crazy about getting close to capitulate my season and switch to another specie before december. Supercold month...;)

Juls, I recently bought a gibbs dark mack pencil popper, it sinks a little. It isn't like the cordell pencil popper you have. Does wood sink faster than the plastic? If so, I might need to get a different one.

Jenn
10-21-2003, 11:31 AM
PHEW! FW-----you scared me there for a minute....YOUR always the optimist!;)

How the heck you been BTW???? how was the vineyard???

Jonny Bolt
10-21-2003, 11:39 AM
Originally posted by Notaro
I caught two schoolies last year on herrings. One thing for sure, they don't eat mack chunks. Steve K, did u fish on the boat or shore?

Oh man, I hear that. Fish this year when using Mackerel chunks = ZERO. Even in the marsh, they just dont like it. Atleast not in my area lol. I used Mack chunks for 3 days in a row once, not even a bite. Throw on Herring, they hammer it ;)

Notaro
10-21-2003, 11:43 AM
Originally posted by Jonny Bolt
Oh man, I hear that. Fish this year when using Mackerel chunks = ZERO. Even in the marsh, they just dont like it. Atleast not in my area lol. I used Mack chunks for 3 days in a row once, not even a bite. Throw on Herring, they hammer it ;)

Aha, I knew it. That is so funny about Rockport fishing. I even tried a pogy chunk and they wouldn't take it. I'm guessing that they were concerned about their tiny heart. And pollock sucks when you live line it. A bass tend to toy it around too long and wouldn't inhale it.

Herring outproduces all the baits at rockport.

JohnR
10-21-2003, 12:01 PM
When I used to fish chunks a lot I often felt that way too then proceeded to eat my words when were casting chunks of herring and macks out to 15-20# fish on a cranking Saco River tide. Six guys catching these bass immediately when there macs hit the water while the seventh (me) didn't get so much as a nibble until I ate crow and the bass ate macs... Don't get wrapped up in a "they don't eat this or that" because its cow poohey. They'll eat is for certain, and like all baits the fresher the better...

Notaro
10-21-2003, 12:13 PM
Yes, you are right about that. Livelining a mack on a boat is good because you can drift it and troll it SLOWLY and the bass will inhale it. And if there are so many baitfish around, they can get picky. I use macks at back river and it was no problem. As milt rosko said, stripers are unpredictable. This years, not many stripers feed on clams. But they eat everything, a certain bait for a certain mood.

Van
10-21-2003, 12:23 PM
You should know by now that i usually fish chunking, unless live is available. ( I should change my screen name to chunker Van or something !!:D )

I always bring everything I have. ie. macks, herring, pogie, pollock. They all work, and I have not seen a time when they will hit one but not the other. Maybe one will be more productive, but they will still eat the other.

IMO...
Fish think about 2 things,,,,,,eating and making little fish !!!!!

Fisherwoman
10-21-2003, 01:26 PM
:eek: :eek: Hey Jenn, was just trying to see if people on the board were awake or not. LMAO, it was just one of those days out there and I just go nutts thinking about winter being just around the corner. But I am looking forward to bambi bangin season which will be the end of Novermber. So until then my line will be in the water. The Vineyard was off this year, but not for the lack of fish. There were plenty around, just had a lot of baitfish to eat, and they stayed off shore, and it was hard getting them away from the bait. But the commerradre speaks for itself. We always have a great time whether the fishing is good or not. How you doing????????

Notaro, just fish it like the cordel, it is just a little heavier thats all and it will go deeper if you fish it too fast, you must go sloooooowwwwwww with it and it should swim just perfect!!!

Hey Van, when are you going out again?
:happy: :happy: :happy:

Van
10-21-2003, 02:03 PM
Originally posted by Fisherwoman
[BHey Van, when are you going out again?
[/B]

Hoping for Saturday, possibly sunday, too busy this week, they'd kill me if I took a day off. I've been checking the weather everyday. So I'm keeping my fingers crossed..

Chunker of Death
10-22-2003, 10:42 AM
Stripers are still hanging around extreme Southere Maine. But one has to do some serious hunting for them. Portland area (my home turf) is pretty much closed down. Haven't seen LARGE since a very cold Sunday night. Plenty of macks still around. Their pounding the peanuts to pieces. Interesting observations concerning bait of choice for chunking. Reminds me of a Saco River trip a few years back. Started the day by fishing mack chunks Then had to switch over to live tinkers. Then the fish went up into the river and had to switch back over to mack chunks. Decided to stop at a dock where some tuna/sharking guys were cleaning up their gear. They were tossing herring in the water. Stripers were all over the place like rats in a dump. But they woudn't touch a piece of mack even though the dock is 200 feet from a spot that was producing on macks. We popped up to the Camp Ellis pier and bummed some herring off of a lobstah fisherman. Headed back to the dock and chunked, chunked, chunked till our arms hurt.:)

BigFish
10-22-2003, 10:55 AM
Nice story Chunker Of Death:uhuh: Can you tell me that one again in February when I need to hear a nice, happy, fishing story to warm my bones.:kewl:

Jenn
10-22-2003, 11:23 AM
We always have a great time whether the fishing is good or not. How you doing????????

Thats sounds more like it!;)
How am I doing??? HOPEFULLY buying a house sooooon......:smash:

Fisherwoman
10-22-2003, 11:24 AM
Hey Jenn good for you and the hubby, hope it all works out well for ya, are ya moving any closer this way!!!!!!!!

Jenn
10-22-2003, 11:33 AM
Thanks.....its a pretty nerving experience:smash: But hopefully the worst is past us now:rolleyes:
...Closer? no....as much as I would like to be closer to the salt there is too much here that I dont want to leave behind.

fishweewee
10-22-2003, 11:35 AM
My biggest shore-caught striper (40 lbs) was caught on a FRESH mack chunk! (In November I might add). :D

Fisherwoman
10-23-2003, 11:05 AM
I hear ya there Jenn, we looked at buying this past summer, but for what they want for a house here in MA I could by 3 huge farms in PA and rent them out. Besides if we keep renting we don't have anything holding us here. Just incase we want to go to FL and fish all winta!!!!! YEEEE HAAAA:p :af: :happy: