View Full Version : Pole Holders

redlite
10-23-2003, 03:47 PM
I have finally gotten sick of sleeping on the front seat of my truck and have broken down and put the cap on. Only problem now is that I have no way to transport my rods. I tried doing a search here about rod racks and only came up with one find that didn't really answer my problem. I have a 94 GMC 2wd Sierra that I need to some how fanagle pole holders both onto the front for bouncing beach to beach as well as racks on the roof of the monstorous fiberglass cap for long hauls. I have a set of old ski racks that I am going to try to somehow attach to the roof without increasing the height too much so I can still fit in the garage here at work. I would prefer to take the lazy road and buy some rather than doing the PVC homemade thing, but am limited on the cash side. I looked at the license plate idea but it looks like I am lukcy it holds even my license plate. I do have welders and what not, but am in need of a quick fix, by like tomorrow, so if anyone has any ideas or knows of anywhere I can purchase them reasonably, it would be greatly appreciated.

Christian
10-23-2003, 04:03 PM
got wood working stuff? my dad made some (roof rack rod holders) you could pull it off in an hour. ill take pics in 5 minutes.

Christian
10-23-2003, 04:15 PM
here

Christian
10-23-2003, 04:15 PM
and

Christian
10-23-2003, 04:18 PM
and here hope this helps. they are attacked by velcrow and the rods are held down by those little red bungees. there is some stick on insulation on the bottom of the wood betwen the rod rack and the roof racks to keep it from slidin

redlite
10-24-2003, 08:03 AM
Thanks for the advice and picks Christian.

likwid
10-24-2003, 10:12 AM
DaKine makes soft roof racks for surfboards that are reasonably cheap that i've used in the past for rods

if the cap has gutters you're golden.

I'm not sure if its DaKine that makes the gutter model
but search for surfboard soft rack and you should find them

(www.wetsand.com has em listed)

chief10
10-24-2003, 03:07 PM
redlite-I think draw-tite trailer hitches makes a hitch/installation kit that will fit the front of your truck. If so you can mount a homemade rod holder on the front that would slide in/out. The roof of the cap can be drilled through. you might be able to get some brackets from drinkwater truck sales in pembroke. Then you could mount the ski racks in the front and put pvc/2x4 in the back.