View Full Version : aluminum fishing boats

willie
10-24-2003, 11:06 AM
:smash: :smash: Looking for a 14' newer model aluminum deep v fishing boat - no junk. Iam located in W PA. Maximum 25 h and down.

Krispy
10-24-2003, 12:53 PM
http://www.workskiff.com/images-thumbs/16_02_37.jpg
16ft

stripercrazy
10-26-2003, 11:38 PM
I,ve got a lund ssv16 with a 30 hourse yamaha can't beat it. 3 footers in narragensett bay no problem only about a gallon of gas a hour. cheap fish all day for 10 bucks.:D

RockLobsta
10-27-2003, 05:31 AM
A Friend of mine is selling his 14ft Lund with a honda 30 HP four stroke. Interested?

Fly Rod
10-27-2003, 07:51 AM
Them lunds are a nice boat. Had a 20 footer for 5 years. No problem with the rivets. Another top end boat is Alumacraft.

JohnB
10-29-2003, 05:53 PM
Check this out for something that will last a lifetime plus - www.blacklabmarine.com

JB

Mr. Sandman
10-29-2003, 06:18 PM
What do aluminum boat owners do to protect the hull against electrosis? It seems to me you would need an active system. Tossing on a Zinc is not good enough. AL is pretty close to Zn on the chart. In fact AL would make a pretty good sacrficial anode on most boats.
The danger is your hull gets pitted and could cave in on the next wave. I know larger ferries are aluminum but I bet they have an active supressive system. I can't imagine all those lund owners have something like that.

One other thing...does an AL boats sound like a garbage can being banged around when it hits the waves? It seem to me there would be an acoustic issue.

MakoMike
10-30-2003, 07:31 AM
Sanman,
For bigger aluminum baots that are kept in the water they use a special paint below the waterline. Noise is an issue on aluminum boats, especially for striper fishing.

Mr. Sandman
10-30-2003, 09:56 AM
special "pain" ?
I suppose for AL boats kept on a trailer and not in salt water is not as big of a problem . It just seems to me to put AL in salt water with and electrical current all around seems like a time bomb. I have this vision of some guy charging his battery at the dock and the hull fizzing like and alka seltzer.

But then again Striker makes a kick ass sport fish all alum. and those small boats on the west cost chase salmon in them as well and they seem to hold up.

JohnB
10-31-2003, 08:30 AM
I have an AU boat (Pacific). I don't have any of the issues you mentioned. Electrolisis is not a problem provided the boat is protected by zincs. Noise doesn't seem to be any different than me glass boats. I think the things are rock solid. The boat I have is 1/4" plate that is welded. It is not a rivet-skinned boat like a Lund. Many Harbormasters use AU. Plymouth and Sandwich are just a couple of the towns using them. A good part of the inshore CG fleet is made of the same material.

JB

MakoMike
10-31-2003, 08:35 AM
Sandman,
See edited message.
:smash:

Mr. Sandman
10-31-2003, 08:54 AM
Mako, That is what the Strikers have a very hard paint of sorts. That actually scares me. If the paint chips I would think you have a real problem. But like JohnB says, some of these Pacific boats are bare. I have seen similar welded boats they are solid. (I was considering buying a company that builds them for police in another state a couple years back) You must have to have a lot of Zincs in order to get good protection I would think because Zinc is not all that much higher in the valance scale and I would think the coverage of the hull gernerally > 1% of the surfaces area would be needed.
I was sniffing around on the web and foune this cathodic protection thread. (read from the bottom up) Looks like some are using Mg and some are using special AL alloys.
http://www.corrosionsource.com/discuss2/ubb/Forum1/HTML/000124.html

likwid
10-31-2003, 03:02 PM
There's a pair of 20-25 foot aluminum hulls that run out of Cuttyhunk and stay in the water year round. (one is a surface drive the other is an outboard.. kinda surfhunter/brownell copies)

edit from the word of the old man:

"non-copper bottom paint and alot of zinc and alot of care... thats it"

fisherman jim
11-25-2003, 09:33 PM
I had bought a new bass tracker boat,,, a magna 19 about 10 years ago it looked like a great boat too bad it did not last 3 seasons... then tracker boats did give me another new boat (replacement boat) the transom rotted away, i almost lost the engine on a fishing trip. the replacement boat only lasted 2 1\2 seasons, the transom agin rotted away, they used a copper based product to seal the plywood in the transom, did not do well with the aluminum skin. no more al. boats for me, i run a maritime skiff now for 3 seasons no problems at all