View Full Version : Minimum use requirements to buy a boat?

Jamie M
10-24-2003, 11:43 AM
After seeing how miserable I've been this year without a boat, in addition to the fact that I haven't done particularly well off the shore, my wife gave me the green light to get a boat for next spring. When I think about

1. our short season,

2. the fact that the boat will be 85 miles from my house (in Southeast CT),

3. the fact that saltwater boating is so weather-dependent

it really limits the amount of time I can spend on a boat. From a financial perspective, it probably isn't worth the cost. But with all the moping I've done since becoming boat-less, the question is not "what is the cost of owning a boat". Rather, the question is, "what is the cost of NOT owning a boat". And the cost, I think, is too high. I think I must have one, that's all there is to it.

So, to get back to my original question, how often do YOU think you need to use your boat in order to justify having one. For me, the usage requirements are not that high, because when I had a boat, even when I wasn't using it, I derived a lot of pleasure out of it. If it was too windy to go out, I'd just wax her up or whatever.

It's my only hobby which I feel is a part of me, even when I'm not doing it. For example, I also love skiing, but only when I'm actually doing it. But boating/fishing, I feel like it's a part of me, even when I'm at work. Whether I'm thinking about it, or participating in a board like this one, or telling fish stories over a beer, I feel like saltwater boating and fishing is a permanent part of my make-up. That's what my wife says, anyway...

fishsmith
10-24-2003, 11:57 AM
Your financial situation dictates what you can do. If you've got the dough, I'd look into taking charters. If you want to go with a boat check for slips (I'd imagine they're far and few between down there) or an in/out service. Thats a long haul for pulling a boat.

missing link
10-24-2003, 11:59 AM
buy my boat and you keep it in my yard when you are done with it :)

Mr. Sandman
10-24-2003, 12:45 PM
It doesn't matter how many times you use it IF that is what you enjoy...one great day on the water is difficult to put a price on.

Our fishing/boating season is short. Sure you can put your boat in the water in march and take it out in Dec but those shoulder months are not the most pleasant to be outdoors for most people. If you like it and enjoy being around those kind of folks...do it. Most people put about 50-100 hours/season on their boats... The hard core guys (here) probably 100-200. Few put more then 200. Professional charter guys who go out everyday put 400 or so on their boat.

I know a lot of people who spend a lot of time on their boat *at the dock*...just sitting on it. That is their enjoyment. They don't need to go anywhere. They love their boat. Also, I just had a discussion with a shipyard worker here on MV. He said that a large number of boats that they take care of are only in the water 3 or 4 weeks a year. They people have a house here, when they are here they want the boat available, the day after they leave in Aug, the boat is hauled and winterized....even though it is 90 degs outside. Don't think you have to use your boat everyday to make it pay...boating will NEVER pay...it is expensive and NOT worth it if you have to worry about the money you spend on it. Boats are always acting up to get your attn (money)...at least all the ones I have owned did (new and used).

But all that said, for me ...its hard to live without a boat, I did so for a few years and it felt really good to be afloat again.

Good luck

BigBo
10-24-2003, 02:39 PM
I agree with Sandman, and you've also already answered your own question. If it's within your capability and gives you that much pleasure, pull the trigger my friend. You've already got hte green light from the other half. That's probably one of the biggest hurdles to get over.:kewl:

Van
10-24-2003, 05:18 PM
BOATS ROCK !!!!!

What everyone else said. Nowhere I'd rather be....
Good Luck.

Fly Rod
10-24-2003, 09:09 PM
With the three factors that you speak of:

Short season; Traveling 85 miles and Weather dependent, I think that I would charter a boat when I felt the urge to go fishing. that would be alot cheaper in the long run. Unless you are trailering the boat and keeping it in your back yard and the boat is maybe 18'-23' give or take a couple of feet, fiberglass and mostly maintiance free.

And to get back to your oringinal question: If you are not using your boat at least 3days a week then I would think that it does not justify having it.

Also if you derive so much pleasure out of just polishing it and pulling maitinance on it :smash: :smash: buy one with out a motor keep it in your back yard and work on it till you are content with the gleen and the sparkle that you derive from your hard work.:rolleyes: :rolleyes:

fishing bum wannabe
10-26-2003, 05:12 PM
My fishing partner lives in Worcester and travels to Bass River to fish. He keeps his boat on a trailer on the Cape, about a mile from a launching ramp. He also drives 85 miles to get to his boat, and fishes almost every weekend from late April until the end of October. Because it is on a trailer, stored on the Cape, he doesn't have to tow it 170 miles each time he fishes, and doesn't have to worry about storms.

I have had a boat for 18 years, and lost it this fall. I have tried fishing from the beach this fall, but without the boat I don't have the success I have with the boat. On several trips this spring and summer I caught between 10 and 30 keepahs (I never keep more than 1, and never one over 33"). This is as many or more than most of my shore bound friends catch in a season. Over the season I catch between 100-200 Keepahs. My best single day of Bass from the boat, 5 years ago, I lost count at over 100, at least half keepahs. Needless to say I will spend the winter finding a deal so that I can be afloat again next spring. My boat was my most important piece of fishing tackle.

mrmacey
10-26-2003, 05:49 PM
in a affordable nice towing boat contact me boat motor trailer, guys on here can verifie my boat moves! and is dry and good on gas lets talk.

Goose
10-26-2003, 08:54 PM
When I think of boats two things come to mind, happiness:) and money:( If you can afford it, I say go for it. Buy the best you can afford. Boats are big money pits thats for sure, the more you spend the less you'll spend later. If its your first boat I would buy used, look for a GOOD deal...they're are out there. Fall is a good time to look.... people are loosing interest, need $$ or going to up grade ect. Plus you can chew'um down:uhuh: Get some prices for storage, slip or mooring. For years I reminded my wife how empty I was with everytime I'ld pass a center console on the highway now I remind her how happier I'ld be with new electronics.:smash:

You said it your self Jamie ''I think I must have one, that's all there is to it."

Clammer
10-26-2003, 09:07 PM
Jamie is toooo short========go for it =================you don,t wanna say later on that {i should have }==========Good luck:cool:

Jamie M
10-27-2003, 09:44 AM
As for as in-season storage goes, I'll be looking to do what I did with my last boat. Keep it on a trailer, at the marina, which is 1/8 mile from a beautiful state ramp which is the closest ramp to Fishers Island. That costs only $500 for the season. Sometimes, they's let me put the boat in a slip from Labor Day (when lots of slips become vacant) until Halloween for $100. So I will NOT be towing the rig 85 miles, that would be too much.

It looks like it's a go, I'm just trying to find the best deal on a clean center console. For new boats, the Sea Hunt 220 is in the lead. If I can find some more $$, I really like the welded-aluminum Pacific Skiffs. For clean used, I've been looking at the following 23-footers: Key west, SeaSwirl, Sunbird/Neptune/Hydra-sports.

Billybob
10-28-2003, 12:14 PM
Jamie - I'm in the same situation. I live up near Waterbury and work in Meriden and I've been trailing my 23 footer.I don't use it nearly enough.
Next year I am definately going to slip it or rack it. I've thought about keeping it on the trailer near a ramp, but then you still have to deal with the ramp traffic (although you could pick up gas on the street).
In any event, this would allow me to run down after work and fish a few nights a week, hose it down and tie it up.I think that will help me in justifying this obsession.
But, of course, I'm beyond help really.The only way I'll sell the Blonde is if I get another :D

Mainer
10-28-2003, 06:21 PM
For me I decided that one boat isn't enough,so I have a 14 ft tri hull for small water and a 20 ft shamrock for bigger water.:D America,what a great country,where your free to own as many boats as your wife will let you get!:) :) :) :)