View Full Version : Old Blank Question

RIROCKHOUND
10-27-2003, 03:40 PM
Ok..
Came across an old (30years or so) surf rod that my father had one in a tournament many moons ago (early 1970's or before) It is 10' black, light blue wraps with gold sleeves? under the wraps..
There is a faded name right above the foregrip something "glas" doesnt look to say lami but cant make out the name... The guides are funny.. start out as about a size 40 then works up to about a 20, then switches to smallish conventional guide.. definetly not a production rod.. the foregrip is cork, the butt is wooden (glued on?) havent figured but I dont think its a blank through butt, which may propmt me to take the butt off and make it a good heavy 8' rod
A few questions...
1) I like the action, this rod was rarely or never fished and is good condition, save for some slight oxidation on the metal guides and reel seat.. is it worth re doing.. it feels ok, tested it on casts and some small fish.. do glass blanks weaken considerably with age?
2. any idea who manufactured the blank? As I said its black, fairly fast action for glass and fairly stiff
3. It came from Newport, RI, late 60's early 70's any ideas who built it? No signiture anywhere that I can find...
Thanks
Bryan

capesams
10-27-2003, 05:23 PM
as long as the blank hasn't been toasted in the sun it should be fine to rework an use.