View Full Version : Travel rod

saltyric
10-28-2003, 07:30 AM
I am looking for some recommendations for a travel spinning rod. Maybe 7 feet or so. 10 or 12 pound test. Fairly inexpensive. Thanks

BigBo
10-28-2003, 07:36 AM
Cabelas has a fairly good selection of travel rods at reasonable prices. Might want to check them out.

schoolie monster
10-28-2003, 12:08 PM
Bass Pro Shops Offshore Angler has a series of rods called Ocean Master. They have travel rods. Two spinning models (6-12lb & 10-20lb) and I think three casting models.

I have the 6-12lb spinner that I pair with a shimano stradic 4000. Its a decent outfit that I bought for redfish, trout & jacks down in FL. I got some decent sized jacks and a nice trout on it. I've caught a bunch of schoolies up to keeper size. My dad has the rod too and he got a 7lb albie and several 4-6lb blues last fall. So, it handles pretty well.

Its pretty sensitive for a 3 pc. rod too.

Fish much bigger than those I mentioned and you may try the 10-20lb. model. I don't know what you're targeting. A 20lb bass or a 12lb blue might make it an 8pc rod.

Unfortunately, they use to combo the rod with the stradic for about $150... now they combo it with their own gold cup series... that's what I got. I don't like the reel at all... in fact, it sucks.

The rod by itself is $100.

Cabelas salt striker line is probably comparable and I want to say a few bucks cheaper. My dad also got the st. croix travel series in an 8-17lb model and he uses that primarily when he comes here to fish with me. Its decent... I don't remember the price.