View Full Version : Problems with braid on VS150

FJG3
10-28-2003, 08:58 AM
I have a 9ft rod with a VS150 and no matter what braid I use it is wind knot city the braids pack to loose when using pencil poppers. The only braid I did not try was Fireline 14 # test. Dont know if that would work, Oh and yes I stripped some line after the cast and would re-pack the line every 5 casts. I think I will be trying mono on this set up. Anyone using a good mono or anything else that works well. I love braid but not for this set up I have no problems with other rods and bigger reels. What line and # test to use?

bassmaster
10-28-2003, 09:15 AM
never had a problem I use #14 fire But i groove My line roller.
are You over filling spool?
I can fill mine right up

FJG3
10-28-2003, 09:52 AM
Thanks Bassmaster, I do not over fill the spool 1/8 is the most I will fill it to (the lip) and have had it way lower than that. My rod is a custom 9ft lammi L model With SIC guides. The problem is with plugging and pencils. I never tried the 14 fireline but did try 30# on a different rod and had problems. I have no problems with my bigger rods and reels. How long does it take to wear a groove in the line roller? I am about to give up and try mono! Some say go to heavier line, been there done that. I have not tried the lighter PP lines. But to me I think they would dig in more and cause same problems. On another board I guy asked if I held the line while reteving, when I do that i will have no problems, but that is a pain in the ass.

Striperhound
10-28-2003, 12:29 PM
I put 30lb Power Pro on my VS150 and never have had a problem with wind knots or anything and I fish Pencils all the time. If I work the Pencils very slowly the line sometimes wraps on the spool a little loose but never enough to create a problem. I fill my reel first with 150 yds of mono then uni knot the Power pro in and fill the reel up tight.

JeffH
10-28-2003, 12:32 PM
Never had a problem with any braid on the 150 with any rod. How do you initially wind on yur line? I use a line winder which packs it on nice and tight and the latest spool has been on there for two years. I was fishing 5/8 oz jigs with it last week and didn't have a problem either. I suspect the rod guide size and or position.

FJG3
10-28-2003, 11:09 PM
20# fireline solved the problem, I had a spool of it and decided to try it first before buying the 14#. No Knots at all.