View Full Version : Boston Haba Cod!!!!

Fisherwoman
11-03-2003, 07:33 PM
Hit the water again today. We did pretty good, got 15 nice keepers today in the 10- 12 lb range. Had a beautiful day out there, water was like glass most of the day. Caught most of the cod about 2 miles E of the B- bouy. No bassies today, still alot of bait around. Caugth over a dozen big macks today and 3 or 4 tinkers. Drifted them while we were jiggin, but the only taker was a big dogfish. Gonna try and go again tomorrow, but I am pretty beat up. 2 days in a row, AAAAAAAAHHHHHH but its a good pain!!!!:D :p :p :p

fishweewee
11-03-2003, 07:39 PM
:crying: :crying: :crying: :crying: :crying:

missing link
11-03-2003, 07:51 PM
sweet!!!!!! gald sum1 is getting fish :)

macojoe
11-03-2003, 09:47 PM
I want to go to the B bouy!! :crying:

macojoe
11-03-2003, 10:02 PM
I wish I new that area!! Plymouth sucked for cod last week!! I might have to go out Chatam, but that is a long way out this time of the year. I guess I will just have to wait it out?? They will come in soon.

BigBo
11-04-2003, 08:42 AM
MJ, we were right in the area the day of our outing.

macojoe
11-04-2003, 09:29 AM
Oooo.................When ya want to go?? I want some Cod!!
:happy:

Notaro
11-04-2003, 09:35 AM
that's not too shabby, fisherwoman. cod fishing in haba sounds tempting...
hey, is it possible to jig for cod with a 2-3 oz crippled herring and a teaser from the shore? like cast and retrieve? or i could use a fluke mine?

Fisherwoman
11-04-2003, 12:11 PM
Notaro, cod fishing is a verticale presentation, you maybe want to try Nutt Island peir with a rig like that, or maybe a little heavier depending on current and jig straight down from the peir. they do come into that area.

Macojoe, you ever put in at the Weymouth back river ramp? you are more than welcome to put in there some time and follow me around and I will put you on some spots in the area as well as anybody else looking to learn the area.

;) :p :p :p

macojoe
11-04-2003, 12:15 PM
Thanks Fisherwomen!! I would like to do that sometime! I have never been out that way my self. The only time I fished the N. Shore was with BigBo a month or so ago. Had a great time , nice looking area.
We should set up a time and day to do it?? Bigbo you game??
I see the making of another SB Cod trip!!

Fisherwoman
11-04-2003, 12:23 PM
Sounds good Macojoe, now is the time before the weather gets really really cold. Gonna have our boat out for about another 3 weeks then gotta get ready for bambi season in PA so let me know what your schedule is looking like. I am going to try and go a couple more days this week if the weather cooperates, since I have been out a few times and getting beter at getting on them and doing pretty good. My shcedule is pretty open can go anytime, just weather pending.

macojoe
11-04-2003, 12:32 PM
Same here! I can go just about any day of the week!! Just need to what time and were. I will need DIR. to the ramp as I have never been there before.

Notaro
11-04-2003, 12:40 PM
Thanks, Fisherwomen. What gear should I employ for vertical cod fishing? I am not sure if I have anything heavy to jig them up.

Hey Swede, is your boat being winterized yet? Would you like to have a shot at haba cod?

schoolie monster
11-04-2003, 02:32 PM
haba cod... a subspecies of the atlantic cod, closely related to the arctic cod.

hey FW, what type of depths are we talkin' here and how much weight... I've gotta get geared up for this.

Christian
11-04-2003, 02:48 PM
notaro the drippled herring will have worked for me off of nut island pier on cod, also a 4 oz bank sinker with a teaser above is good.

Fisherwoman
11-04-2003, 06:49 PM
;) Notaro, just use your bait fishing rod, enough weight with jigs or sinker that will keep it in contact with the bottom and do the same thing you just did out with Mike B.

SM & Macojoe, right now the weather is looking pretty good for Thursday or Friday this week?

SM, I was jiggin with 17 oz jigs the other day and we were using yellow/orange teasers that were working really good, all depends on the wind and how fast the drift is. I use a pretty stiff rod with 300 rd of 50lb test power pro. If your gonna do any jiggin that is the line to use, not mono, trust me, makes it alot easier and you have a better feel. Depending on wind we will use anywhere from 12 - usually 21 oz in the haba, the other day we were catching cod in 65ft-120ft of water, Beets jiggin 330 baby!!!!!!

macojoe
11-04-2003, 07:35 PM
Friday Sounds good to me!!
I use 80# tuff line on a penn113 with a eletric reel :D I don't care how deep it is.
I have some pink & white grubs, and a bunch of other stuff that has worked in other areas.
I lost my last big jig the last trip :smash: I have about 8 or so more I think the biggest is about 17 to 18oz, hope thats is good?? I don't have time to make any new ones!
I need Dir. to the ramp?? does anyone have detailed ones from the Cape??
Thanks

MightyMouse
11-04-2003, 09:07 PM
Last Friday took a friend up to Gloucester to (with absolutely nothing but a good walk and talk with a buddy) to show for it. Reports of lots of big mackerel off of the jetty. Didn't have the gear or baithooks to try to catch some and liveline. Haven't eaten anything I've caught (more like I'm just not catching:smash: ) though about keeping some sabikis or tube rigs just in case...

...and I just realized that this has nothing to do with the starting topic, except that it, I think, had the word "mackerel" in it:rolleyes:

...oh yeah, just remembered, there seemed to be a crapload of old platic bags in the water... so please remind people to pick up

BigBo
11-04-2003, 10:10 PM
Mj, let's do it. The Weymouth Ramp is real easy to get to. Just off of Route 3A in N. Weymouth. I'll get you good directions if we're going to do this.

macojoe
11-04-2003, 10:13 PM
well you have awakened! I am looking at a map of it rt now. I will trailer my boat up, I ow you a trip!!
http://www.nesportsman.com/cgi-bin/siteframe.pl?frameurl=http://www.state.ma.us/dfwele/pab/pab_table1.htm&state=MA
that is the ramp

BigBo
11-04-2003, 10:32 PM
:sleeps: :yawn: Been pretty busy lately but ya, I can probably swing a trip this Friday. There's plenty of inshore ledges in that area that we can hit. This is where I was telling you the previous S-B Cod trip should have been held. A little longer drive, but usually better results.

macojoe
11-04-2003, 10:34 PM
I just looked at yahoo maps. it is on beach rd weymouth. I am game.
Just wait and see when the rest want to meet.

BigBo
11-04-2003, 10:37 PM
:kewl:

Fisherwoman
11-05-2003, 10:41 AM
Macajoe, thats the ramp. When you get to that road you will see a big uhaul place on the corner and a DD on the other corner. Just follow down the road about 3/4 mile you will come to a right hand bend and the ramp is right there on the right, huge parking area and the ramp is on the far end of the lot.

Friday is looking pretty good so far with the wind. Won't be able to go till a little after 8, as Schoolie Monster had to drop off his daughter at school 1st. does that work for you and Bigbo? Or if you guys want to go earlier I can meet up with you out there some where.

I will be in a 20 ft Lund ALanskan Blue/silver with a 90 horse honda 4 stroke, Boats name is ALternative and I will be on Channel 69.:happy:

JohnR
11-05-2003, 10:42 AM
Have Fun!

misterb
11-05-2003, 10:51 AM
Fisherwoman...if you wouldn't mind, I'd like to follow you out in my boat on Friday or this weekend.

Swede
11-05-2003, 11:20 AM
I'll take Fri off to nail some Cod! I have to wait till the fuel dock opens. Boats name is Linesider, 21 ft Parker w/a 225 Evinrude. Lets get it on!! :happy:

Fisherwoman
11-05-2003, 11:31 AM
No Problem, Swede and Misterb, you are more than welcome to tag along. the more the merrier, JohnR, what are you doing on Friday?

;)

macojoe
11-05-2003, 12:04 PM
Yea baby!! We are going to have a ball!! 8am sounds go to me, how about you Bigbo?

Notaro
11-05-2003, 12:07 PM
Fisherwoman, alright, thanks. But I doubt that I can fish this month. My mom already complained to me about how she gets sick of my fishing excursions.

Swede, I got a class at 8 AM this friday. And I have no gears for cods, but a few of rigs and teasers. My class ends at 11 AM, but I would have to travel from Haverhill to Boston and it takes about an hour on the purple line. And if we are in for the noon, I can meet you at Wollaston or Quincy Center station.

BigBo
11-05-2003, 06:35 PM
Sounds good to me MJ. Unless you've got a reason to bring your boat up to run it, why not take mine out? That way you wouldn't have to haul all the way up from the Cape.

JohnR
11-05-2003, 06:52 PM
Originally posted by Fisherwoman
JohnR, what are you doing on Friday?
;)

Job stuff - wish I could go - need the break

Gloucester2
11-05-2003, 07:13 PM
Notaro, concentrate on school like your Mom says, you caught enough cod for the season

chubsdad
11-05-2003, 07:18 PM
fisherwoman glad to see you and bait caster are catching alot of cod. hope mike and i will get out again soon fishing inshore is just a little better for your shoulder ha

macojoe
11-05-2003, 07:20 PM
I would like to run my boat some more!! I just put some new plugs in it and want to see how they burn?? See if they are any better then the rest??
And I do owe you a ride on a real fishing boat :laughs: Well its beat up and dirty anyway!!

BigBo
11-05-2003, 07:28 PM
No problem. Sounds good to me. Just thought I'd save you the haul. Good time to put fuel stabilizer in too. Let it run through and all now that the season is winding down.

Canalratt1
11-05-2003, 08:32 PM
Maco Joe have you thought about the SE corner of Stellwagon? Not sure where you could launch but where I have fished out there is not very far from P-town. Another option is Scituite Harbor or Green Harbor in Marshfield both better fishing than Plymouth IMHO

macojoe
11-05-2003, 09:21 PM
Well we will all be going out of weymouth on friday, which is were your saying.
I could go out of wellfleet Harbor to get to stellwagon that would not be to bad! But this is all new to me so I will learn all these places soon i hope!

Notaro
11-05-2003, 11:08 PM
damn, kevin, i almost bought some cod chits like a 3 oz jig and a couple of size 14 sabaki rig since the inshore cods mouth are small. anyway, i returned them back to the counter. fisherwomen, i already have stated so many goals on this board. i need to take it a step at a time. if i aint fishing in winter, then im gonna try to rebuild my south bend rod. i know it is worthless, but i want to do something with it, like changing the guide. plus, i tmight be good if i put my artwork on it, like a picture on the thread.

Jackie O
11-06-2003, 09:05 AM
Hi, I hate to be forward like this but, If I can get off of work on Friday would anyone have an extra seat on board for this Cod trip In Boston Haba. Ill be no trouble and be sure to be more than fare with expenses and letting you catch your fair share. All kidding aside if anyone would like a mate for the day I would love to join you. Ill check my e-mail and get back to you if I hear from you. Thanks , I hate to be a leech, I have a new boat( to me )Im just not comfortable enough to take it out At the B yet. Thanks all here is my e-mail big_jackieboy@yahoo.com Jack ODonnell

Fisherwoman
11-06-2003, 09:07 AM
;) Notaro, 1 step at a time, reflect on how much you have learned this year and concentrate on school right now. You have many years of fish left in you buddy, gots too slow down:eek: :eek:

CHubsdad, how are ya? when you going offshore again for some biggins, need to get some more of that cusk for my dad, he and mom loved it, said it was awesome. Mikie gonna do any more trips out there this year?

Sorry JohnR, wish you could come and play with us:( but good luck with the job thing:happy: :happy: :happy:

OK guys I will be at the ramp around 8 am in the morning so I will see you there unless the weather changes. I will post it later. Should have a ball out there tomorrow!!!!!:laughs:

misterb
11-06-2003, 12:04 PM
Jackie O....I may go out earlier from Scituate and then meet up w/ Fisherwoman later.

Where do you live? Do you have gear?

Jackie O
11-06-2003, 01:55 PM
Mr B Thanks- Yes I have my own geer. I live in Medway, But I will get together with you any place you tell me. Ill be happy to get out. You name the time and place Ill be there. Jackie O

macojoe
11-06-2003, 04:47 PM
TONIGHT
NE WIND 10 TO 15 KT...DECREASING TO 5 TO 10 KT LATE. SEAS
1 FT OR LESS. RAIN LIKELY...THEN A CHANCE OF RAIN AFTER MIDNIGHT.
VSBY 2 TO 3 NM.

FRI
NE WIND AROUND 5 KT...BECOMING W 5 TO 10 KT IN THE AFTERNOON.
SEAS 1 TO 2 FT.

Looks like a winner to me!! :happy: :happy: :happy:

missing link
11-06-2003, 04:49 PM
good luck guys tommrow :) - macojoe make sure you dont catch ALL the cod now:) :laughs:

misterb
11-06-2003, 04:50 PM
Jack, lets try to sync up tonight to confirm.

macojoe
11-06-2003, 04:53 PM
Hey link want to go?? I have room if you are not working! Link Jr. if this you , don't you have some home work to do!!

missing link
11-06-2003, 04:54 PM
dads working tommrow he say thanks for the invite:D and no i have no home work.. finished it ill in school.:jester:

macojoe
11-06-2003, 04:55 PM
why do you think they call it home work??

missing link
11-06-2003, 04:56 PM
ummmm...:D i dont i have had to do home work at home since i was a freshman:D

Jackie O
11-06-2003, 05:00 PM
misterb it sounds great. E-mail me your phone number and I will call you when you tell me.or e-mail me and I will give you mine. big_jackieboy@yahoo.com. Thanks and I look forward to it. Jackie O

Swede
11-06-2003, 08:35 PM
The Cod should be :err: :err: very :err: :hihi:

Swede
11-07-2003, 06:32 AM
1.6 at the B buoy now. Looks good!

Notaro
11-07-2003, 08:27 AM
Thanks, Jules. Okay, I got a stupid question for you. How do you twitch a slug-go with a ten foot surf rod? I did the 45 degree angle, but find it uncomfortable doing twitching it.

fishsmith
11-07-2003, 04:11 PM
How'd you guys/gals do? Is cod on the menu tonight???

misterb
11-07-2003, 04:36 PM
I sincerly apologize just getting back to you both now...unfortunately I had to go out of town on business (and still trying to get back).

I truly hope I did not inconvenience either of you.

I will definetely be going out again, hopefully next week.

Cheers.

ps....how was the fishing???

Fisherwoman
11-07-2003, 05:33 PM
;) No Problem Misterb, sometimes things just can't be helped.

Macojoe, Bigbo nice meeting up with you guys today, you guys are too funny. Hope you had a safe ride home.

Swede Good to see you again also.

I just got in, and all we caught were 4 keepers today, let go about 15 shorts and only caught a few dogfish today, still some mackerel still around. This morning was a little more kicked up that the f$#@$ weather forcast called for as usual!!!! We had 2 ft + this morning so was hard to get to where we wated to be, but finally got out to the B-bouy. Got a few cod just east of the B and some shorts, so we started working our way in. Got a few keepers off of the BG bouy then went over to Nahant, all shorts, so headed back out to the BG and got a couple more keepers there, but mostly shorts.

Swede is the dogfish master of the day from what it sounded like. I think Bigbo and Macojoe got a couple keepers, But it was a pretty slow day. I hate it when it gets dark so freakin early. Water was flat as a pancake when we came in.

All in all it was a tough day, lost 4 cod jigs, broke a guide on a rod. Fell down and smacked my back pretty good in the boat. NEVER go back to mono after braid, it SUCKS!!!!! Couldn't switch the reel off of the rod with the broken guide cause the reel seat seized up. BUT other than that Schoolie monster and I had a great day. SM got his 1st taste of cod fishing and it was nice to see the little twinkle in his eye when he hooked up. Ended up beautiful out there this evening. Too bad we didn't have about another 4 hours of daylight!!!!!!

Well I hope you guys had a good time and learned some new spots, sure wish the fishing would have been better for ya but I can't control them little bastards!!!!!!!!:laughs:

BigBo
11-07-2003, 07:49 PM
FW, nice metting you too as well as schoolie monster.:wavey:
It was a beautiful day on the water today. Like you said though, too bad the Cod weren't really around:huh:
We got back in okay, no problems. When we were out past the "B" Buoy with Swede, he was really punishing those dogs. Didn't see him again after he went out to the Flemish Cap though.
Always an adventure:laughs: fishing with macojoe. Thanks buddy:jester:

Swede
11-08-2003, 02:09 PM
It was great to see you all yesterday! I really kicked some Dogfish butt :smash: We tried further east but the only difference was the dogs got bigger :fishslap: Those dogs are tough! One had an unfortunate accident where he somehow got cut in half from snout to dorsal and swam away like nothing happened :laughs:..No keeper Cod but several that almost made it. They are supposed to be edible. Anybody ever tried one? :yak:

BigBo
11-08-2003, 04:18 PM
I ain't eatin anything that pisses through it's skin:eek5: :yak: :hs:

fishweewee
11-08-2003, 07:47 PM
If you've ever had fish and chips in England you likely have eaten dogfish. It is delicious, just have to prep it like any shark that doesn't have kidneys. Bleed and gut asap, otherwise nasty ammonia builds up.

-WW

BigBo
11-08-2003, 11:09 PM
:err: :yak: :hs:

Fisherwoman
11-09-2003, 10:04 AM
:rolleyes: I'm with Bigbo on that one.

Of course you should have heard Swede out there that day on the radio when somebody was asking him how to catch dogfish that they wanted to catch some. Too funny, he told them to use bait. guy says what kind of bait, Swede say Swordfish pieces work really good, even better yet ya might want to use lobster or shrimp. Guy finally caught on and said, do you think they would take it if I put my wallet on the hook:laughs: :laughs:

BigBo
11-09-2003, 10:11 AM
:bl2: Funny thing was, neither macojoe or myself caught a dog that day.:huh: Not that I wanted one. I just thought it odd.:wiggle: :angel:

Swede
11-09-2003, 08:45 PM
I didn't use any bait! The bastages were hitiing my jigs! :smash:

schoolie monster
11-10-2003, 02:27 PM
I @ss hooked one dog on the jig... it peeved me off cause I thought I had a big cod on. They fight pretty well when you hook 'em right. But that was too funny... swordfish and lobster for dogfish.

FW, thanks a bunch, I needed that day out and that's pretty awesome. I'm starting to really enjoy trying new things. After hearing many times that cod don't fight, I was impressed. I only got one of the keepers, but got a bunch just short and they are fun once they get to a few lbs. I'd like to see how a 20lber does. Tough to beat a day like that in November.

I think you're selling us short on #s though, I had about 10 when we went back to BG at the end and I got 4 or 5 more there, and you had about the same as me I thought. Sure, some of them were about 8", but remember, when fishing you overestimate, never under! Gotta be like my uncle. We were out once and caught 7 bluefish... by the time we got in, he was counting hooked fish and we were up to 12, by that evening, he must have been counting fish he saw busting, cause he told a guy we got close to 20, and there were albies in the mix. I started to wonder what day he was talking about and whether I had really been there.

Tough day on the equipment, that guide really made it tough by cutting off a couple jigs and half a spool of braid before we found that crack.

As usual, I learned alot out there and had a good time.

I hope we can get out again in the next couple weeks. Light winds, light winds!

Nice to meet Bigbo and macojoe as well.

Fisherwoman
11-10-2003, 09:18 PM
;) No problem SM, glad you had a good time. Gonna go out tomorrow and give it another try, hopefully we will get into a bunch and rip some lips, I'll let everybody know how we do.