View Full Version : Dumbest thing you've done lately.....

fishaholic18
11-09-2003, 09:45 PM
This morning I was launching my boat off the trailer like I normally do by tying a line from my bow cleat to the trailer then back down the ramp and hit the brakes to launch the boat. Well this morning I backed down a little too fast and braked way too hard, so the boat rocketed off the trailer. I quickly jumped out of my truck to grab the bow line incase it snapped or something bad happened when I realized I didn't put my truck in park. NOT GOOD! I managed too open the door and hit the brakes,as the truck was speeding down the ramp, just before my truck made the big plunge. All 4 tires and the rear bumper were under water. In the mean time ,the boat is slingshoting back onto the trailer SIDEWAYS!! Was a mother to get back off. The joy of boating! No damage, thank God. What a way to start the day..shaking like a leaf. Top that!!:smash: :smash: :smash:

BigFish
11-09-2003, 09:50 PM
That is one good reason why I go boatless!! I just drive my rig onto the sand and all I have to do is remember to put it in park.:laugha: My C-J7 that is.:ss: I promise F-18 I will come up with a good one to post tomorrow. I owe you one. Glad you didn't swamp it though!

fishsmith
11-10-2003, 08:05 AM
2 of my recent screw ups:
1. I let my boat roll off the trailer into green harbor with the motor running, amen for an out going tide and the tied off dinghys.
2. a week before I sold my boat, I unhitched it on an incline and the trailer rolled into the tailgate (of the wifes car taboot) nice dent.

MakoMike
11-10-2003, 01:23 PM
I ran over something I didn't see on my way to Montauk last week. Lots of damage. Reports will follow.

chris L
11-10-2003, 01:59 PM
trusted Lowes home center !

JohnR
11-10-2003, 02:02 PM
I got thirty hits on 2 drifts of a #^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^& swimmer until I realized I forgot to remove the hook protectors :doh:

Christian
11-10-2003, 02:10 PM
lol!:laughs:

Mr. Kav
11-10-2003, 02:14 PM
i got engaged this weekend, but seriously i am very happy about it. she is a wonderful girl

Slipknot
11-10-2003, 02:55 PM
Originally posted by JohnR
I got thirty hits on 2 drifts of a #^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^& swimmer until I realized I forgot to remove the hook protectors :doh: :laughs: :laughs: :laughs: :laughs: :laughs: :laughs: :laughs: :laughs: :laughs: :laughs: :laughs:

JohnR
11-10-2003, 05:11 PM
Originally posted by Mr.Kav
i got engaged this weekend, but seriously i am very happy about it. she is a wonderful girl :btu: run away, run away

Nebe
11-10-2003, 05:17 PM
I got thirty hits on 2 drifts of a #^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^& swimmer until I realized I forgot to remove the hook protectors :doh:

Ive one that a bunch of times using storm shads:(

rocketman
11-10-2003, 05:32 PM
I had my emergency brake fail to hold one time while launching into the CT river. The truck, trailer and boat were heading down the ramp with me on the boat, which was still hooked to the winch. A DEP officer was standing near my truck and thankfully jumped into my pick-up and hit the brakes. Egg on my face again. After that I always shut off the engine and put it in gear.:smash:

BigFish
11-10-2003, 06:27 PM
OK F-18...here it is!!!! And to make it easy just go to the "Tongue Or No Tongue" thread!!!!! Seems like a pretty stupid thing to do, but FishChick will not leave it alone!!!! Simply posting that thread qualifies as stupid things I have done lately....right????

blackeye
11-10-2003, 08:57 PM
the list is long and undistinguished

BEETLE
11-10-2003, 08:58 PM
Almost as dumb as the rest of us reading it and examining the pics for trace of tongue.

mrmacey
11-10-2003, 10:28 PM
tounge or no tounge:smash:

Duke41
11-11-2003, 08:53 AM
I was hauling the boat home in front of the hurricane warnining lst Sept. I was in a rush to get off the ramp due to the hordes waiting to haul. As I drove down the street I could hear this twanging noise. I pulled over and looked at the rig and saw nothing so I again started on my way. Again the twanging noise. Then I notice that it only twanged when I wnet under a phone line. Sure enough the antenea was up.

Better yet took a cell phone call while fighting a fish and promptly lost the fish. duh:smash:

Pete
11-11-2003, 09:30 AM
Dumbest thing latly:

Read the thread about toung or no toung!:D

Pete

GaryK2
11-11-2003, 04:22 PM
Well it wasn't lately, but was dumb and appropriate to post here. I was fishing the surf at the rock pile in Weekapaug a few years back late at night. About an hour into fishing I feel something in the bottom of my waders which I thought was a small rock. In a rush to get back to fishing, I quickly wadded back in and took off my waders and shook out the rock.

About four hours later I went back to my vehicle, took off my waders and was about to load everything back into my car when.....I couldn't find my car keys. Apparently it was not a rock in the bottom of my waders. Never found them and ended up taking a self taught, crash course on hot wiring a vehicle at about 3:00 a.m.

DaveS
11-11-2003, 05:22 PM

I did that 2 nights ago John, with one of those Storm Wildeye shads. Was wondering whyI kept missing that damn fish:laughs: .

RiverRatt
11-11-2003, 09:03 PM
Buried a hook in my finger while putting my stuff away and spent 1 1/2 hrs. in the ER waiting to get it cut out.
Nice way to spend a saterday morn. :(

JohnR
11-11-2003, 09:51 PM
Originally posted by DaveS
I did that 2 nights ago John, with one of those Storm Wildeye shads. Was wondering whyI kept missing that damn fish:laughs: .

Hey Dave :wavey: - lemme know when to come down to Joisey :hihi:

shore manic
11-11-2003, 09:58 PM
i've done some pretty f#^%*)! up things in my life! that i'm sorry for butt his site puts most things in perspective. i thank all the friends and some not so friendly!! this is a great place to spend some time punching those little keys. SEMPER FI

DaveS
11-12-2003, 05:42 AM
Hey Dave :wavey: - lemme know when to come down to Joisey :hihi:

Now John, they are here thicker than owl snot:happy: .

mrmacey
11-12-2003, 05:44 AM
5 with gear!:D

Billybob
11-12-2003, 09:36 AM
Sorry if you've seen this before.

So last night, I get home,it's warm so I can do some glassing.I have some new rodholders (btw, these Solo rodholders are Sweet), and I want to layup a layer of glass under them to beef it up a little.All I have is a real old can with a little left, so I figure I'll give it a shot.I mix it up, hoping it will still kick.I'm gonna brush it on, nice and neat.I notice it's kicking pretty quick, so I decide to pour it on a paper plate, soak the glass and lay it up quick.Get in the boat, lay down lay up a couple strips - it's starting to gel.Wait a minute, my heads starting to burn.When I was laying down, I layed my head right in the plate of resin!
Oh no, what am I gonna do now.I have no acetone,I do have all kinds of automotive paint solvents- but I don't really want to be pouring any of that stuff on my head.Run in the house, stick my head in the shower- just makes it gummy.Grab a handful of gojo - and that does the trick.
You should see/hear what the wife and kids thought of all this - it was hilarious.
Moral of the story:
- Wear a hat when glassing.
- Don't be a dork.
- Keep your work area organized
- Don't be a dork.
- Don't drink beers when your working on your boat, nah.

This is a public service announcement from Billybob!

fishaholic18
11-12-2003, 09:43 AM
:laughs: :laughs: :laughs: :laughs: :laughs: :laughs: :laughs:

Rappin Mikey
11-12-2003, 12:25 PM
Went to spray paint my trailor hitch. Unfortunately I had the can aimed at my face and not my hitch when I went to spray. Bam! right in my eyes. That stuff drys pretty quick. I think I rubbed off three layers of skin trying to get all of the paint off of my face.

GaryK2
11-12-2003, 04:21 PM
Ya you're right Billybob, that was stupid. Almost as stupid as me lossing my key on the beach.

GaryK2
11-12-2003, 04:22 PM
So Rappin Mikey, you went from brown eyes to ol' blue eyes?

The Dad Fisherman
11-12-2003, 04:32 PM
Sent in a response to the "O.K. Let's Stop" thread and started a heated battle on this website.....Next time I'm keeping my mouth shut

Scotch Bonnet
11-16-2003, 08:44 PM
I just remembered a good one. Last season I drive up in my truck to the dock and load my stuff into the boat for some flukin. Conditions were great so I was in a rush to get out the breachway. I motor out of the marina and fish for like 5-6 hours and head back in. I tie up to the dock and bring some stuff back up to the truck.............The trucks still running! Keys in the ignition, doors unlocked and the gas is almost on E. I left the truck running for 6 hours. What a moron.

Slipknot
11-16-2003, 08:47 PM
6 HOURS!:eek:

:laughs: :laughs: :laughs: :laughs: :laughs: :laughs:

lucky the truck was still there.

FishChick
11-17-2003, 03:32 PM
NO BigFish, the dumbest thing you did was blame me for "Tongue or No Tongue!! :lossinit:

JohnR
11-17-2003, 03:47 PM
Originally posted by FishChick
NO BigFish, the dumbest thing you did was blame me for "Tongue or No Tongue!! :lossinit:

:laughs: :laughs: :laughs: :laughs:

:happy: :happy: :happy: :happy:

BUSTED

GaryK2
11-17-2003, 04:00 PM
That's a good one scotch!!!! Reminds me of a time long ago when we were in highschool. My buddy bought a used boat and we went to take it out on a local lake. When we went to start it the battery was dead so we took the battery out of his truck to use.

We got the boat started and motored around the lake. Then the boat crapped out and we couldn't get her started again. The wind blew us to shore, however we were on the opposite side of the lake from the boat ramp. The plan was for me to walk around the lake (some 5 miles) back to his truck where my freind had lots of tools to fix the boat. I was going to drive the truck aound to the boat. I got to the truck, turned the ignition and...no battery!

Billybob
11-17-2003, 04:20 PM
Hey Scotch, that is too funny:)
I think noone stole it cause they figured you were there somewhere, nobody's dumb enough to leave the truck running and go out in the boat:D
Kid stupid things can't count there's just too much.
The wind the other day reminded me of when I mounted the sail from my snark on my flexible flyer when I was about 12. Musta took me 5 hours to figure out how to rig it up. I drag it down the beach on the snow, set it up, sat on it - nothing. I mean, there was just no friggen way, compare what it takes to push a little snark to pulling a sled. I wish someone woulda told me. :confused:
The dogwalkers musta got a kick out of it.

dondkim
11-18-2003, 09:43 AM
"Dumbest thing you've done!!!!!"

I don't remember!!!!!!!!
:confused: :confused:

One thing I remember is moving to New York from MA 27 years ago.
:hang:

fisherman jim
11-18-2003, 09:36 PM
Took the boat out, first time with the new t-top was on the way home, i left the rods in the rocket holders and the tree branches over the road grabbed two rods. The guy in the car behind me was blowing the horn and pointing up at the tree,,, you guessed it,,, two rods were dangling from the tree.

leptar
11-18-2003, 09:57 PM
Probably getting drunk at Taylors Lane during some serious fishing,, Hitching a ride with a sober person. Crashing in the garage and waking up the next day at lunch time to find no gear and no truck. Grab the pedal bike and pedaled my arse off to find my truck with no radio no speakers no battery no cd's no change in the change drawer...

but to find my 2 baitrunners with their rods still in the rod holders with the tacklebag with all my stuff over by the rocks.. lol i was very happy grabbed my stuff walked back to the truck started it up and drove to the top of the street before i ran out of gas.. yup they siphoned my gas too..