View Full Version : Help building rods

fishaholic18
11-10-2003, 04:55 PM
Since I'll have a lot of time on my hands(out of work for 3 months with a back injury), I want to learn how to build my own rods. Any suggestions on where to start or where to purchase the equiptment I need would be greatly appreciated. I have a book that I'm reading now on rod building. I want to try to build my own jig and try to keep it relatively cheap since I'm out of work. Thanx.

Bawana
12-23-2003, 11:10 AM
AHHHHHHHHH a first rod wrapper---started doing on a cardboard box with notches cut into ends---next one involved two pieces of 4x4 a piece of1x6x4ft pine and some funiture casters epoxied into holes drilled in 4x4. one block was mounted on 4x4 with angle brackets and one free for long blanks. Used to use the old ladies fiberware rotisserie motor to turn coating.wrapped by hand held thread. Turning blank by hand slow and time consuming but works fine.All building wrapper involves is a little imagination-- some scrape pieces of wood and most important desire

seabuggy
01-19-2004, 12:18 AM
Get right in to building your first rod. I started building rods over 30 tears ago. The way to start is as simple as possible. Anything will do for a wrapper because it can be powered by hand. The dryer is a different story. If you don't keep the rod turning during, you will have a mess. This can be easy though. Look in junk shops for something turning about 15 to 40 rpm. You can get some excellent rod blanks at yard sales for next to 0. Try www.mudhole.com for parts. Good luck.