View Full Version : Cod pics & today's report

schoolie monster
11-11-2003, 07:26 PM
Fisherwoman, you must be a good teacher... I was off today for Veteran's day and woke up to no wind and said the heck with it and took the boat out.

Within about a minute I was hooked up and had a decent few hours catching 18 cod w/ 7 keepers... and the best part was the 3 dogfish.

Lots of bait down there. I didn't really work at it... I drifted one area the whole time. I was picking up fish each drift so I didn't look for bunches of fish. Decent size with almost all close to keeper size.

The highlight was a double header of legal cod (one I kept cause it was gilled... I am about to cook it after I'm off). The lowlight was my last drift when I hooked into something big... either a monster cod or a bonus leftover bass... nope, an @$$ hooked dogfish, a big dog that fought like a champ.

Here's today's catch... and pics from last friday below.

schoolie monster
11-11-2003, 07:27 PM
FW with fish on

schoolie monster
11-11-2003, 07:30 PM
FW with fish

schoolie monster
11-11-2003, 07:31 PM
My first legal cod on the deck

BigBo
11-11-2003, 07:32 PM
Nice going Greg! You're making me jealous.:bsod: Started winterizing my boat today.:wid:

Swede
11-11-2003, 07:40 PM
Only 3 Dogs? I"ll PM ya with my Dogfish tips. Gotta keep it quiet.. :laughs:

schoolie monster
11-11-2003, 07:40 PM
I was telling FW the other day, that this is the hardest time... you're still hanging on to this season and thinkin about stuff you're gonna do next season... then you think, that's 6 months away.

Oh well, today was nice, but around one o'clock, it started to get gray and cold and the wind started up a bit... felt like winter.

Good day though.

Swede, my boat isn't big enough to get out to the Cap. That last one was really big though... it was pretty fun while I thought it was a real fish.

fishweewee
11-11-2003, 08:13 PM
Nice fish!

How heavy were the jigs? Sticky bottom?

-WW

flatts1
11-12-2003, 08:37 AM
Did anyone check their bellies. What were they feeding on?

schoolie monster
11-12-2003, 09:57 AM
flatts1, the one I kept had some lobster and the remains of baitfish. I had a couple spit up some food in the boat. Small crab claws and baitfish, pretty good sized baitfish, but was beyond recognition.

FWW, I was in about 60-65 feet of water and there was little wind, so I was using only a 5oz. crippled herring... its a single hook, so I was putting blue and chartreuse curly tails on it. Most fish came on the jig vs. the teaser.

That's about all I know, friday was the first time I'd really fished cod (other than a party boat 5 years ago), so I just checked a couple areas till I marked fish and gave it shot. But I'm an old crusty, salty cod pro now :)

BTW, the cod was ok, but I still think striper is better. I got a fluke last year and kept it after hearing fluke was so great. Again, it was good, but I still think striper is the best fish out there. Not just cause they are my favorite fish to catch. I just like the texture of the meat and the flavor.

Do most people prefer a cod or fluke over bass?

I just do bass with a little lemon and butter on the grill and its awesome IMO.

flatts1
11-12-2003, 10:29 AM
Thanks for the info.

As for preferences on taste. They all taste the same to me in a chowder. It's all whitefish but I agree that the denser flesh of a striped bass is more managable for certain applications like grilling.

Later,
Mike

Fisherwoman
11-12-2003, 10:36 AM
:D Good for you Greg, Glad you got into them and had a great day. I am sure it was a good feelin one again to get out on the water.

Wish we had better luck, was out with a friend on his boat and struck out yesterday. Course I kinda like my own boat because I know my electronics pretty good and usually end up with some fish. Problem 1 no patients , we went all over the place. Problem 2 guy has too many electronics on the boat so spent more time looking at toys than fishing. Problem 3, too many wimps on the boat. "its cold, the jigs too heavy, we need some food" OMG I just about freeked out. He is a great guy and I love him dearly as a friend he was just driving me nutts yesterday! LMAO.
Course my patients level yesterday just wasn't at its normal level either. I gotta admit his boat was alot warmer than ours would have been too. SO no big deal, was still great to be out on the water.

We did manage 4 dogfish, 2 mackerel, 1 whiting, 2 pollack, and about 5 shorts so It wasn;t like we didn't have anything pullin the other way.

The pictures came out great!!!! and I am glad you got out there Gregg, good for you. We will have to try and do it again soon.