View Full Version : landing fish

Clogston29
11-12-2003, 04:44 PM
I was just wondering how you guys usually land larger fish. I've never caught anything bigger than 40" and have always been able to beach them with a wave. I'm just wondering what you guys do with bigger ones. Just grab them under the gill or by the jaw (if there aren't trebles everywhere) or use one of those lip grip things. I don't really want to use a gaff since I release almost all fish. Thanks.

likwid
11-12-2003, 05:18 PM
grab em by the gills

fishweewee
11-12-2003, 05:25 PM
From a rockpile - I try to scout a spot before I start fishing where I think I can safely land a fish. Then when I hook up, I try to time the waves such that the waves will help push the fish on my pre-determined landing zone.

From the beach, I also try to time the waves to get it out of the wash and on dry land.

In any case, I think the preferred method of getting the fish is by the gills. Even so, caution is warranted because a thrashing fish could still plant some treble hooks into your hand/arm. If possible reel up any slack in line and then firmly gill the fish.

-WW

redlite
11-12-2003, 05:30 PM
It all depends on the setting and the surf. I primarily fish big, wide open beaches, so I'm not sure about in the rocks. Usually I just try and ride them in on a wave, but once they get over 25#, they get hard to drag up the sand. I let a wave wash it as high as possible, then run down to it and usually depending on the size of the surf, just like Likwid said, I grab 'em carefully up under the gill plate. I know people say it is bad to touch their gills, but I have do this all the time and have never noticed any ioncrease in mortality to the fish. If there is big surf, I usually try and gently step on them as the wave washes back and timing the waves, reach down and grab them. You need to be careful of two things:
1.) watch out that while you are trying to keep it from s#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&g back in the wave that it doesn't get you with its dorsal spines. Has resulted in 2 trips back to Orvis for new waders.
2.) Time the waves good. I have had waves come in and mash me with fish into beach. Sometimes I have had them come off at this point and dove on them like they were a hand grenade.

It just takes practice.

beachwalker
11-12-2003, 05:39 PM
I wear a neoprene, sailing type glove with short fingers.

Feel like Michael some summer days.

Either way it is surf so it is the basic: Tire them out and then time the wave to slide them up the beach. Then you gotta be there, rod up, with the left hand grabbing the leader and dragging it up to high ground. NEVER let the rod down when the water is rushing back out (as a matter of fact if you are standing in the wash with the fish in your hand and water rushing back out all around you then you're friggin doing it ALL wrong). It will pull the fish back into the wash and snap you off in a instant (at least on the ocean beaches). Anyway you decide to do it the glove helps you grab the leader without the line slicing into the outside of your pinky (which REALLY hurts the next night ! :( ).

And when it is cold you can wear both (and not be such a cakeboy), they keep you nice and toasty,

Don't have to worry about that anymore this year. It seems to be fully over. I just got in from a hike out to Smiths and it was deadsville. A major colony of seals and a billion sea ducks flying across the sky on their epic journey south.

:(

Ah well. Work hard for a week or so and then head west for a little. It was a fun year out here.

:D