View Full Version : Anyone tried the Stainless Drag Washers for the ABU's?

bud8fan
11-12-2003, 05:17 PM
I am gonna do a drag upgrade to my 6500's over the winter and while looking at a well known site for Reel Candy I noticed that they now have a stamped stainless steel setup and they are guaranteed to be flat! Now thats a change!!

Any info? I know that the stock drag has a hard time slowing down an 8lb bluefish at times so whats everyones opinion?

Smoothies?
Extreme Smoothies?
Ht-100?
Or the new stainless kit?

Also whats everyones take on the Ceramic bearings?
Is it true that they tend to hold lubrication longer than the stainless ABEC7's?

Russ

fishweewee
11-12-2003, 05:28 PM
Russ,

I've experimented with the smoothed stainless washers and I frankly can't tell the difference. If your existing washers are bent or warped (unduly concave/convex) then by all means go ahead and get them. Chances are they're not.

However, in an Abu, I will say that the Dartanium Extreme Smoothies work much better than stock drags. Make sure you install all drag washers dry, except the plastic piece which fits underneath the gear.

Don't waste your money on ceramic bearings. They work but frankly for fishing you don't need 'em. I would say that a nice pair of Abec 7's are a worthwhile investment, and they get smoother as you break them in. Yellow Rocket Fuel is a nice lube too. Key is to keep your bearings very clean and lube regularly.

-B

fishweewee
11-12-2003, 05:29 PM
I forgot to add that ceramics are great because they require less lube...but they are fragile. If you're not super careful installing them, you can easily crush the individual balls and your $20 (apiece!) bearings are ruined.

-WW

fishweewee
11-12-2003, 05:34 PM
BTW, Ron Arra's casting video (produced by Fish_Eye) has a nice segment on how to clean and lube your bearings as well as general Abu reel care and adjustment.

fishweewee
11-12-2003, 05:37 PM
Oh yeah, if you put ceramics in a 6500 you won't be able to control the cast - unless you got mag controls.

Just ask birdsnestmaster :laughs: :bshake: what he did to my 6500 big game.

bud8fan
11-12-2003, 06:00 PM
Thank you for all that info! Especially the fact that I wont be able to control the ceramics!!!!

I already know I will put the C5 conversion in my Pro Rocket but not so sure if I will do the big game later ?

fishweewee
11-12-2003, 06:08 PM
unmagged 6500's are a little tougher to control than a 7500...because the spool flange on a 6500 is much narrower than a 7500.

bud8fan
11-12-2003, 06:10 PM
If anyone wants to know what a C5 conversion does to a reel ask Bliz!!! He bought my 6500CS Mag Elite that I had done everything to! C5 conversion, smoothies, ABEC7's all over the place and a power handle!

That reel was so smooth that you could feel the fish breath on your bait!!! But they I realized that I kind of defeated the purpose! Yep supercharged the reel and then use Mags??
Whats the point??

On the other hand I am sure that those mags have saved Bliz more than once!!! :laughs: