View Full Version : is there a bass Dr. in da house?

Nebe
11-14-2003, 12:15 AM
I went out to wet a line tonight durring the big blow and landed a nice keeper. So.. .after I had cleaned up the filets I ran the knife along its belly to see what it had for dinner. I noticed some tumors running along it's intestines from the stomach down to the vent. There was about 30 of these tumors about the size of a raisen. Other than that the fish looked very healthy, put up a great fight, had a good weight to it, 34 inches 14#. (I just bought a scale).

So my questions are..
What are these little tumors??
Are the common??
Should I toss the filets??
Should I give the filets to someone I dont like too much? :rolleyes:

Bass had a big fat shad in its tummy:D

fishweewee
11-14-2003, 12:24 AM
Hmmm, sounds like the bass didn't get enough roughage in its diet. :laughs: Doesn't sound like it would be a huge deal to eat it, as long as you cook it well.

macojoe
11-14-2003, 05:37 AM
When in doubt, throw it out!!

MakoMike
11-14-2003, 08:44 AM
Sounds like it might be parasites not tumors?

Rappin Mikey
11-14-2003, 09:46 AM
Did you land anything else out there?

Bill L
11-14-2003, 10:06 AM
Thats it, this wind is going ot make me go slumming again :D

Nebe
11-14-2003, 10:17 AM
Toonoc you crack me up! Guys I dont think that they were parasites. The tumors were round hard things that were attached to the intestines by a membrane.. the color of the tumors were the same as the intestines... I should hve taken a picture.

Mikey, Thats all I landed. I had a tremedous strike and didn't hook up because the eel had slithered up the hook and tried to strangle himself. The barb was pointing into its belly:smash: I only fished for an hour and split.

chief10
11-14-2003, 11:53 AM
fillet and release!!!:D

Canalman
11-14-2003, 12:03 PM
Shoulda saved those babies and made some chowder or something.... I think I'd toss those fillets if it were me.

-Dave