View Full Version : yearly high end average size?

tlapinski
11-16-2003, 06:20 PM
ok, ANYONE can fall on a good fish here or there. but, it takes some bit of skill and/or effort to consistantly get fish in the top range. let's define consistantly at 10+ per year in that size class. so, what is your consistant high end size year after year?

beachwalker
11-16-2003, 06:59 PM
Average is the key word. I caught a lot of fish in the 15-20 lb range this year. Maybe 8-10 in the 20# and only one (31) over 30.

I swam fake all year until October and still only had 20# ish fish on the eels.

Alright, I suck. Not a clue. Completely useless.

I quit...............

:D

tlapinski
11-16-2003, 07:01 PM
ok, i didn't mean average. i edited my wording a little.

beachwalker
11-16-2003, 07:21 PM
Actually your question is fine.

If I read it right. I guess I just barely make the 20 class.

Had a lot of fun this year but..........

It will be interesting to see the numbers on this poll.

:cool:

RIROCKHOUND
11-16-2003, 07:56 PM
I had alot of 15lb fish, but I think I managed 10 over 20, and one over 30 (36lb)
Bryan

BigFish
11-16-2003, 08:08 PM
I caught many more in the 15-20 pound range but caught at least 10 in the plus 20 pound category. Just missed the thirty pound barrier by a half pound.:happy:

fishaholic18
11-16-2003, 08:16 PM
I want to know who averaged 50+. Your my hero.:laughs:

BigFish
11-16-2003, 08:21 PM
You left my other category out???? 60-60.9 pounds?????:fishslap:

tlapinski
11-16-2003, 08:30 PM
Originally posted by BigFish
You left my other category out???? 60-60.9 pounds?????:fishslap:

50#'s + :huh:

Slipknot
11-16-2003, 08:44 PM
If someone has consistantly caught 10 or better 50 pounders YEAR AFTER YEAR, then I'd like to meet that person and shake his hand. That's a heck of an accomplishment.

I did about 10 in the 30 lb range this year but I haven't done it year after year so I voted 20-30 range.

capesams
11-16-2003, 08:57 PM
15-30,,,,,whats a schooly:huh: then theres some over 30,,,,but who gives a squat....a fish is a fish......size doesn't matter....u take a guy who can only fish 10 hrs a week an catches 10 fish,,,the other guy puts in 100 hrs a week an gets 100 fish,,no contest there........fishin is supose to b enjoyable, not a contest so u can say ,,I got more an better fish than u , so u ain't do in my eyes....what a bunch o bull crap.........venting is fun,,go catch a fish an have a good time size doesn't matter.

beachwalker
11-16-2003, 09:30 PM
hehehehe

:rolleyes:

Nebe
11-16-2003, 09:56 PM
thats right cape sams, fishing should be enjoyable... which reminds me of an old proverb I once heard somewhere..... "give a man a fish and he will eat for a day. Teach him how to fish and you'll never see him agian!"

my average is 10-15# ( I'm a bird chaser, I admit it)

fishweewee
11-16-2003, 10:10 PM
This was the upper-end of the "average" range for me this season. Can't complain.

Interestingly, the average size has gone DOWN as the fall-run has been progressing.

fishweewee
11-16-2003, 10:11 PM
oops here is the pic

bassmaster
11-16-2003, 10:14 PM
boga grip your gay

fishweewee
BM, I don't have a boga grip. That's a hand gaff.

bassmaster
:smash:

beachwalker
11-16-2003, 10:16 PM
Jeez Bmaster. You pick em' clean, eh ?

fishweewee
11-16-2003, 10:16 PM
1) I hope there is no such thing as reincarnation.

2) If so, in the next life I hope to God I don't come back as a green crab, eel, mossbunker, herring, or striper.

bassmaster
11-16-2003, 10:18 PM

fishweewee
11-16-2003, 10:23 PM
Bestiality is best.

Put ya toona to the test.

And give the stripers the rest.

p.s. I didn't catch this critter, I just molested it afterwards.

bassmaster
11-16-2003, 10:26 PM
I want to eat You (http://www.fortunecity.com/skyscraper/wired/699/silence/dinner.wav)

fishweewee
11-16-2003, 10:28 PM
BM Catches A Fifty (http://www.rleeermey.com/sounds/horney.wav)

bassmaster
11-16-2003, 10:40 PM
Ben in ptown (http://www2.burn.com/content/wave/wav-sp4/cartman-hes_doing_something_to_his_ass.wav)

fishweewee
11-16-2003, 10:42 PM
BM At The Urologist (http://new.wavlist.com/tv/051/204_chopweewee.wav)

bassmaster
11-16-2003, 10:58 PM
thanks (http://edirizarry.www4.50megs.com/placecrazy.wav)

fishweewee
11-16-2003, 10:59 PM
Advice for Basslessmaster (http://new.wavlist.com/tv/025/rnst-goblins.wav)

bassmaster
11-16-2003, 11:03 PM
By for now weepee (http://new.wavlist.com/movies/322/tbb-1234.wav)

fishweewee
11-16-2003, 11:05 PM
In BM's Plug Bag... (http://funwavs.com/wavfile.php?quote=338&sound=319)

bassmaster
11-16-2003, 11:13 PM
fire at wee wee (http://new.wavlist.com/movies/214/ptt-precisely.wav)

fishweewee
11-16-2003, 11:16 PM
fightin' words (http://members.tripod.com/makko719/moviesounds/hbridge.wav)

Krispy
11-17-2003, 12:52 AM
OK, how many threads are u 2 gonna kill with this stuff :smash: :)

upper avg. was 20lb+ consistantly.

Slipknot
11-17-2003, 01:11 AM
OK, now there's another vote for 50+lbs. :rolleyes: musta been bassmaster:rolleyes: :smash: :smash:

redlite
11-17-2003, 12:08 PM
From July 1st to August, most fish were 15# to 25#
From September 1st to end of October, caught very few fish under 30#. Average it out and I would say probably for the year averaged high 20# or maybe just over 30#.
Was a good year for big fish, but no fifty. I also fall into the class of nuts who fished 4 to 5 nights a week, sundown to sunup for 5 months, so I fall into that class of people where average time spent fishing versus catching is greatly reduced.
Also managed to lose 15 pounds this summer. What a weight loss program..............With these strong winds lately I've had to fill my pockets with loose change to keep from blowing away.........

RIJIMMY
11-17-2003, 12:54 PM
I'm in the under 20# category. Put a lot of weekend nights in this year and a few week nights. Biggest fish was @ 24#. Most were 6 - 15#.
I am the schoolie king.

Since now I've seen pics of fww, eben, blackeye and others. Here is a shot of me and the only fish I kept this year. Wife was thinking I was having an affair so I had to bring one home. This is about the average fish I caught this year if you drop off all the spring schoolies....
:p

MarkL
11-17-2003, 02:17 PM
I guess since there was no distinction made between the surf, boat, and charter captain. I guess I could be swayed to believe the 2 50+ guys.

tlapinski
11-17-2003, 02:22 PM
Originally posted by capesams
fishin is supose to b enjoyable, not a contest so u can say ,,I got more an better fish than u , so u ain't do in my eyes....what a bunch o bull crap.........venting is fun,,go catch a fish an have a good time size doesn't matter.

i wasn't trying to start anything with this. i didn't ask anyone to post what they caught. the polls are anonymous. all i wanted was to get a feel for how everyone did this year. i did not ask to compare myself to anyone.

and only small guys say "size doesn't matter"! :laughs:

Rappin Mikey
11-17-2003, 03:17 PM
Size doesn't matter. Oops, I meant it matters a lot. A real lot. To me at least I mean. Ah forget it, I got a little wanky.

fishweewee
11-20-2003, 08:50 AM
*bumpity-bump*

Clammer
11-21-2003, 11:00 AM
DISagree size doesn,t matter =its about what what you enjoy=========I,ll take a 10 pounder on a weightless Ledgeruunner in 3 feet of water over a 20#+ on a live bait ////

:happy:

RIROCKHOUND
11-21-2003, 11:04 AM
Clammer I got to agree, and as a shorefishing boat guy, I prefer a 20 on the breachway to 30's on wire and a tube.... Of course the best is big bass on live eels in skinny water.... gotta love eelgrass......
'hound

RIJIMMY
11-21-2003, 11:11 AM
Uh oh...you are guys are stirring up the old boat vs. shore....
But I agree with you.
I prefer a fish on the beach, or on a bar.

RIROCKHOUND
11-21-2003, 11:22 AM
No, RIJ, actually I was implying that 20lb bass from shore beats a 30 trolled up on the boat (didnt do much of that this year) any day of the week and twice more on a rainy sunday when noone else is out.... and that my favorite way to catch bass is from my 13' whaler in skinny water during the late spring early summer.....

Other than the I like to hit the boat for Blackfish and Fluke...

RIJIMMY
11-21-2003, 11:27 AM
RIR, what areas do you target in the whaler? I may be able to try that in the kayak.

RIROCKHOUND
11-21-2003, 11:40 AM
My seceret spot :D

In Narragansett Bay, think eel grass, dark nights, eels, best in June and earliest july.... fish to the upper 30's this way....

More specifc than that I dont give out.... Sorry :(

Bryan

RIJIMMY
11-21-2003, 11:50 AM
I was just wondering if it was the salt ponds, or rivers or something. Nothing that specific. Yaking at night is a little scary. Ive done it a few times, but I usally paddle to a spot and then get out and fish. Im thinking about getting a small boat to race around in. .....
But then none of my fish will count so I'm not sure if its worth it :smash:

RIROCKHOUND
11-21-2003, 12:08 PM
Very true, no my boat is in Newport, so I fish in the area of the east passage, though I range pretty far in it if the weather is right (Kettlebottom, Brenton Reef etc...) are within reach under the right conditions....

Hey fish are fish, I love both ways, shore and boat, in my eyes both count... Besides, I got my biggest from the boat, but more bass this year off the rocks than the boat...

'hound

schoolie monster
11-21-2003, 04:22 PM
Capesams and Clammer are very wise... I could have said old and wise, but I refrained... old and grumpy and wise.

Fishing is supposed to be fun first and foremost. I like getting big fish, but isn't necessary. My mindset is I want a few big fish here and there and it makes all the shorts more fun... no what I mean.

But catching big fish is fun, so I'll play. 12-18#... oops, that doesn't fit in. I only busted 20# twice, but got alot of solid teeners on rubba. I'll get more large next year 'cause of the way I'll be fishin'... more live bait, maybe try some trolling tubes when things are slow.

Clammer, do you want to start a bluefish size poll?

schoolie monster
11-21-2003, 04:49 PM
alright, gotta PS this thing.

And tlapinski, I'm not starting w/ you, I realize the point of this thread wasn't to start this fight.

But you also have to take into consideration what people are targeting and like was said, time someone gets to put in.

I know that if I put in most of my hours during the night and fished live eels, I could up my big fish numbers. I know that if I focused on fishing live bait or chunking deep water, or trolling a tube'n'worm I would increase my big fish numbers.

I just prefer tossing artificials on light tackle and I would rather fish the 4am to noon shift... partly cause of my family commitments. I added in some live bait fishing, but I generally just dragged herring or eels while casting off the front, slowling working along rocky structure. Only on a few occasions did I focus on getting the bait in the structure, forgoing the artificials.

I'm doing or hoping to do more of this stuff, and other stuff like more flycasting... I hope I can always try new things and learn, but the point is, it depends on what you're into.

Because of various things I want to try more next season, I would bet I'll be in the next range easy, but I'm not sure I'll be that much better of a fisherman. Just a different skill set.

Up to 3 that got 10 50#ers this year, that's pretty impressive.

Clammer
11-21-2003, 04:55 PM
Greg ,I knew you couldn,t resist this post::::::::::

ITS all fun or at least it should beeeeeeeeeeeee

BLuefish nightmares//////////////////////////////:rocketem:

Got Stripers
11-21-2003, 08:22 PM
Originally posted by capesams
15-30,,,,,whats a schooly:huh: then theres some over 30,,,,but who gives a squat....a fish is a fish......size doesn't matter....u take a guy who can only fish 10 hrs a week an catches 10 fish,,,the other guy puts in 100 hrs a week an gets 100 fish,,no contest there........fishin is supose to b enjoyable, not a contest so u can say ,,I got more an better fish than u , so u ain't do in my eyes....what a bunch o bull crap.........venting is fun,,go catch a fish an have a good time size doesn't matter.

You my friend have it right, or at least are on par with another older weekend warrier. I catch what I catch, I don't give a rat's arse about how big and I weighed maybe 2 fish all year. I've caught my share of large, but if we are taking a poll, I'd guess I averaged mostly in the 15 lb range. Did catch a bunch of 20 lbers and a few over 30 this year, but the average would be high teens likely. Now if you through in the hundreds I catch all winter, well crap my average goes way down, but that would be if I cared to weigh in on that one.

Steve you and I need to fish together, cause BM don't love me no more.

RIJIMMY
11-21-2003, 10:04 PM
Schoolie monster...
"I know that if I put in most of my hours during the night and fished live eels, I could up my big fish numbers"

I don't know your skills man, but alot of the guys that posted on here, including myself do exaclty this and haven't had too many big fish. Its aint easy.

piemma
11-22-2003, 08:19 AM
I'll be out tonight. Look for a maroon Trail Blazer with ski racks on the roof. I use Yakuma Ski Rack for rod racks because they can be locked down. I am going to start at WH light and end up around the River at dawn.:smash: :smash:

Katie
11-22-2003, 10:59 PM
32.5 inches and i'm still in first place in the under 18 tourney :D

capesams
11-23-2003, 08:41 AM
a few things left out.

when ya just startin out size does matter, we [old] all went through it....then ya got mid term, by now ya should have gottin some goodins if ya kept ya ear to the ground an can slow down a bit...then comes retirement, u can pick an chose the time an place ta go cause u know just what is where an when an can go :p to the younins casue youv'e put your time in...this doesn't meen ya roll over an play dead o no..see theres this little thing in the back of your head that aways there, this little voice that keeps saying.....GO FISH...but now it's fa FUN..;)

bassmaster
11-23-2003, 09:47 AM
Originally posted by Katie
32.5 inches and i'm still in first place in the under 18 tourney :D :D

Clammer
11-23-2003, 10:00 AM
:claps: :claps: :claps:

yo Cape ===thats it///////////////////////////////////////////:D :D

Krispy
11-23-2003, 10:16 PM
I understand what everyone is saying here to Toby. We all LOVE TO FISH!!! Yes.
No matter what size. Yes
Personally I feel a drive to fish at the highest level that I can attain with the knowledge and experience I have available. (None)
Thats what pushes me to fish 6-7-8 consecutive tides, to drive 1 1/2 hrs every other day for 3-4 months, to go to work w/o sleep, to fish till I drop. And I love that aspect of fishing, in addition to catching. Thats the push that breeds intense learning. For me anything else is sittin in the beach chair ch#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&g bait and drinkin beers.
I know, most people dont fish like this. Many cant, some would like too, whatever. Some of us do, and theres an interest in knowing where you are in your own level of achievement, a sort of self competition, and some with the guys you fish with. Its a natural state of wanting to be the best you can. And gauging how the season was as a total for all fisherman.

PS. Retirees not included
Blast away :rocketem:

schoolie monster
11-24-2003, 05:27 PM
RJimmey, I wasn't implying it was easy at all, but based on past experience and successes, I stand by my statement. I spent my first few years fishing all surf and mostly with eels. I was gettin' pretty good with it and got some nice fish.

I also know some pretty good spots on the south shore of mass and the cape and even in RI and if I chose to put my time in there, the fish would come.

The big girls come to play at night... that's not a secret.

I'm really not being cocky at all. I chose to go the boat route but still thought I'd fish alot from the surf. I just don't have the time to do both right now.

But I certainly know that its not easy... I spent my first season driving from boston to RI or the cape and fishing all night and my friend and I caught pretty much nothin' all season. So I know what you're sayin'.

Katie
11-24-2003, 06:07 PM
Originally posted by bassmaster

:D :D

Katie
11-24-2003, 06:08 PM
who's got the 50 pounders up there??? :D

fishweewee
11-24-2003, 07:17 PM
Originally posted by Katie
:D :D