View Full Version : Used Trucks

Newboater
11-25-2003, 09:53 AM
I wanna buy a truck to haul my boat. I'm looking at a 2000 Toyota Tundra type.

These things are not inexpensive! A four year old vehicle and most places are talking in the $20K range. One had 76K+ for mileage. Course that one had wood grain, leather, 6 CD changer, 8 way electric seats, more gadgets than Radio Shack and NO FRIGGING TOW PACKAGE, just the trans cooler.

I want a frigging truck gentlemen TRUCK. Something to throw chit in and pull around a boat, not win a frigging beauty contest.

This is making me grumpy.

The Ole Sarge

HighTide
11-25-2003, 12:46 PM
I feel your pain, Sarge. I looked around for about a year, and anything decent cost almost as much as a new truck. Anything else was either a chitbox or had 150+ k on it.

So last year I bought a new Tundra. I got the tow pkg, but I need a boat :D

Jenn
11-25-2003, 01:25 PM
they say yotas keep their value .....and at 76, 000 they're just getting broke in:)

bassmaster
11-25-2003, 03:04 PM
Originally posted by Jenn
they say yotas keep their value .....and at 76, 000 they're just getting broke in:)
in half here

Clammer
11-26-2003, 12:03 AM
2000 tacoma =& I drive it hard =4rth toyota truck in a row//////////////////=auto //6

beachwalker
11-26-2003, 10:57 AM
Buy a left over F150. I picked up one last year with 3 miles on it. Plain Jane but a good truck with warranty, etc. $22,000. Payments less than $400 p/mo. I did the math and decided it was time to stop paying $2-3 g's for a used truck when I could get a new, reliable, resellable oned for about the same amount of money. How many times have we bought a use vehicle for that few g's and had to spend another $500-1,000 before the year was out.

Just finally makes sense and dealers are dumping the 03' models all over the place.

Good luck and Happy Turkey Day ! :)

JohnR
11-26-2003, 11:01 AM
I'll pull your Tundra and your boat with my chebby :hihi:

I was an assistant service manager for a Yoda dealer for 4 years, good vehicles, but two misconceptions, yes, they WILL run for hundreds of thousands of miles, but they can also leak oil over those thousands of miles, blow headgaskets, soak timing belts, lose axle seals, the Auto Trannys suck, and rock in little wind. And I won't even touch the Land Bruiser...

All in all, my Chevy (or my 98 F150 when I had that) compare very well to the Yota and offer better towing capacity and better mileage too. I can average 20MPG on the highway with my Chevy with some tweaking of the gas pedal.

They are all good ('cept for Dodge :hihi: )

Karl F
11-26-2003, 11:08 AM
I'll second what beachwalker said, looked thru the boston area papers over the last week, leftover new 2003 f150's, chevy 1500's, 4X4, some with decent options, all under 23K, some of the dealers even were allowing the junker minimum trade in towards the downpayment.
Toyotas good runners, good for high milage no doubt.
But, if you do a lot of beaching, frames, frames, frames.
Local welder has templates for the tacoma's and now the tundras, right between the cab and the bed. My friend in the towing business had me laughing the other day,he had a call, "My pickup looks like the front is going uphill and the back is going downhill, what could be wrong?".... "Where is your Toyota parked?".... "How did you know it was a Toyota?" :rolleyes:

Karl F
11-26-2003, 11:13 AM
20 in yer Chebby?

Dang, best I ever did in my fahd, (highway) was 19.

Weird thing I've found, must be something with the gear ratios, I get better highway mpg at 70-75, than 65-70. :confused:

Newboater
11-26-2003, 11:25 AM
Well, considering a lot of info I heard about Yodas ?? I went back after 3 days of looking around and told the salesman straight out "I need you to make me want to buy this used high-mileage truck with more crap than I need"

He came back in 5 minutes while I had a smoke and said "two thousand off the top."

I said, "It ain't got no tow package"

5 minutes later he said "We'll pay to have a tow package put on"

I said "You said the rear window might leak cuz you saw some water on the seat"

He said "Take it to a car wash, manually high pressure spray around that rear window. We will replace all seals at no charge if it leaks"

I said "Tune it up, wash it, get the inspection sticker on and a full tank of gas and I'll be back Wednesday to pick it up"

Got me a new (previously owned truck) to pull my previously owned boat and now to get fishing lessons cuz I already know where the rocks are.

(edited: Also got the Yoda 1 year 12,000 mile bumper to bumper guarantee with $50 deductible with the deal since it had 76K on it)

The Ole Sarge

beachwalker
11-26-2003, 11:39 AM
There you go Sarge !

I hear you on the gentlemans truck thing. Everything is so ridiculously pimped out nowadays. Completely faggified.

Give me function, style doesn't mean crap if the thing doesn't friggin work !

HighTide
11-26-2003, 12:18 PM
Congratulations and good luck with the new truck, Sarge :btu:

Good choice buying the 'Yota

Newboater
11-28-2003, 10:13 AM
Picked it up and tried it out.

Great pickup. Two Blondes and a Red Head in 2 blocks.

The Ole Sarge

argh
11-29-2003, 06:29 PM
I have the 2003 limited tundra, Wicked sweet truck. Leather, TRD,heavy this tow that. Best VECHICLE I ever driven. Class b CDL driver mind you. I get bumed when I have waders on though. Resale, resale, resale.

Newboater
12-03-2003, 11:06 AM
Had to bring the Tundra back. During a light rain I went out to drive home and while driving saw a waterfall at the back window.

Wasn't the sliding window, it was gushing in from under the molding.

The dealer gave me a loaner car and they are going to get the Water Doctor to check it out.

Water Doctor?

Oh well. Had one day with it.

The Ole Sarge

chris L
12-03-2003, 12:24 PM
gentlemans truck ? does it come with a stripper ?

I am courageous cat