View Full Version : Anyone Try Ziban?

Jimbo
11-25-2003, 12:49 PM
My wife and I finally quit, she on Ziban and me cold turkey. It seems like the Ziban definitely controls the cravings, but at what cost? It's like it turned her into a Schitzoid Mary and 'you know who' seems to be the prime target for the outbursts. And it seems like the most trivial, unimportant things set her off, like last night I lost track of what direction we were going in Uno and all of a sudden I was "a stupid #$%&ing idiot, a$$-wipe SOB...". I can take the abuse, no problem, if it means she's done smoking. The night before that it was because I put in a 74 watt bulb instead of the 60 watt she told me to. We're gonna look baclk on this and laugh someday, I'm sure, but I was just curious if anyone else had or knows someone who had a reaction to the medication like this, because I can't believe it's just dealing with the cravings that are flipping her out?

Rappin Mikey
11-25-2003, 01:36 PM
:smash: My girlfriend and I are trying to quit via "The cut down" method. I also have become the brunt of many emmotional outbursts. When this happens, I just lock myself in the cellar, put my feet up, and light up a smoke. I've gone from 15 to 3 a day this week. She is having much more difficulty then I. Is Ziban the new pill? I have often thought if instead of damaging your lungs every time you had a smoke, a facial blemmish appeared, it would be much easier to quit.

Notaro
11-25-2003, 01:48 PM
try atkins. i tried for a week and it burn faster and breakdown componments in ur body while exercising (intense martial arts training)

Jimbo
11-25-2003, 02:05 PM
I think the Atkins diet comes after we have truly quit, but maybe sooner. Food has definitely become a replacement for cigs and I am considering three turkeys for Thanksgiving this year; one for the kids, one for my wife, and one for me.
RM, don't run and hide when emotions kick in, that's the perfect time to finagle some excellent nookification. Get yer head in the game, dude! Are we not men?

Notaro
11-25-2003, 02:10 PM
try exercising and SI(...) and let them become your addictions.

Jimbo
11-25-2003, 02:17 PM
I don't think I could become addicted to Sports Illustrated...well maybe the swimsuit issue. As far as exercising, I have a heavy cover on my grill and I try to cook out three times a week.

Notaro
11-25-2003, 02:22 PM
hit the road and run, jimbo. and u know sometimes people smoke after their mad monkey love ritual, right? try drinking a glass water and spit at your lover like you would puff a smoke...:D

Jimbo
11-25-2003, 02:36 PM
I gotta run to a parent teacher conference, Notaro, but first a few clarifying remarks. The fact that I am from NJ and have mounted uneven parallel bars, a trapese and no safety net over my bed might lend itself to the "mad monkey love ritual" conclusion and on more than one occasion, I suppose, that's how it probably looks, but spitting water on an exhausted (hey, I'm that good) spouse bathed in afterglow? Well that's one sure fire way to sign your death warrant, my friend!

Notaro
11-25-2003, 03:18 PM
Originally posted by Jimbo
I gotta run to a parent teacher conference, Notaro, but first a few clarifying remarks. The fact that I am from NJ and have mounted uneven parallel bars, a trapese and no safety net over my bed might lend itself to the "mad monkey love ritual" conclusion and on more than one occasion, I suppose, that's how it probably looks, but spitting water on an exhausted (hey, I'm that good) spouse bathed in afterglow? Well that's one sure fire way to sign your death warrant, my friend!
:D :laughs: yup, it is...hahaha

Rappin Mikey
11-25-2003, 03:30 PM
I can do a front flip, and have been spitting on my girlfriend after sex religiously now for three years, I still smoke like a chimney:happy:

leptar
11-25-2003, 04:55 PM
Jimbo, Mention it to your doctor or her's or have her mention it. It might be cause of the lack of Nicotine or it might be a side effect from Zyban. I ain't no doctor but i took zyban and was off it in 3 weeks cause i felt as if i was taking a hearing test at random. I dont remember if it made me more aggitated, I was born aggitated already.

mrmacey
11-26-2003, 07:24 AM
I will be off of ciggs for 9 months I used nicotine gum I am so addicted to this garbage now but it beats smoking to me nicotine is like coffee a stimulant studies have been done saying nicotine gum is no worse than coffee but you pay for it $30.00 a box last 2 weeks but it sure helps with cravings I smoked 2 packs of kools a day and just let them go right now im not ready to give it up yet I need that stress relief and I dont want to break the 300 lb mark but for all you quitting it is an alternative an it works oh yea we had a baby and I promised him I would do anything but put another ciggarett in my mouth.

UserRemoved1
11-26-2003, 07:50 AM
Well I can lay in on this one with some serious experience and authority....First there are several STRENGTH levels of ZYBAN. If you experience tinnitis etc then you need to see your doctor immediately. Your prescription needs to be changed.

Here's my short story.....18 years and the last 8-10 were 2.5-3 packs a day. Wake up in the am light a butt, go to sleep at nite last thing I did was light a butt. I tried quitting 3 times without success, patch, patch, cold turkey.

Here's how I did it and how to make it work for you. Zyban and the patch..... Use the weaker patches though! I started Zyban and within 1 week not 2 I picked up a pack of cigs and said "wtf am I doing this stuff for?" threw them out and never looked back.

Now to the Zyban problems.....yep it's a mind altering drug. Two words to describe it....TECHNICOLOR DREAMS.
Waking up screaming cuz you're inside a burning building and can't get out with orange fire all around you.....waking up cuz you just got hit by a truck walking across the street......oh and theres way more (why couldn't it have been JLO dreams?) :D And yes you have serious mood swings...It's a side effect. As is alot of other stuff but it's still worth enduring the side effects.

There was ONE thing though that helped me immensely in quitting.....

IDENTIFY THE TRIGGERS THAT MAKE YOU WANT TO SMOKE.

If it's coffee, make a resolve you will stay away from that for one month-I did and 31 days later I went to Dunkin Donuts and so so enjoyed that cup!
If it's drinking then STOP for 30 days. If it's driving then try to have others drive or consolidate your driving etc. If it's arguing with the wife, well ya can't throw her out but you can dream about it :D

You see where this is going...eliminate WHAT makes you smoke and you will easily quit. I've been smoke free for like 8 years now, and yea I've gained 75 lbs but I can still beat ya sorry smoke fileld lungs up 10 flights of stairs :D

One last thing....don't do what I did too, in the beginning I started s#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&g on lifesavers......DON'T......sugar eats the enamel off ya teeth and gives you something called hypercementium.....makes ya teeth susceptible to cold/hot. sucks.

I can honestly say that cig smoking is an addiction, quitting was one of the hardest things I ever did. And it will be with you for the rest of your life. TO THIS DAY I STILL reach for my shirt pocket to grab a smoke....I still crave for a cigarette.....but you just gotta remind yourself that it's like alcoholism and switch your thought to something else to eliminate that craving.

Hope this helps!

UserRemoved1
11-26-2003, 07:51 AM
post 999

UserRemoved1
11-26-2003, 07:51 AM
POST 1000 how fitting to celebrate 8 years!

:happy:

fishweewee
11-26-2003, 08:44 AM
Here's another situation that gets me into trouble sometimes...

"I only smoke when I fish."

That's because I hang out with other anglers who smoke like chimneys.

Sometimes it's hard to say no when a friend offers one to you at 3 in the morning, you're tired and cold and your mind is wandering...

UserRemoved1
11-26-2003, 08:47 AM
quit fishin for 30 days :D

fishweewee
11-26-2003, 08:50 AM
Easier for me to quit smoking than to quit fishing. Might as well quit breathing...:D

likwid
11-26-2003, 12:38 PM
Jimbo: YES

I had HUGE issues on Zyban and had to quit.
I was totally out of control and on a deadline and almost ended up decking one of my employees :(

Never ended up quitting :(

JohnR
11-26-2003, 02:35 PM
I had issues on Zyban...

Salty - :btu:

UserRemoved1
11-26-2003, 02:37 PM
I think I gonna quit fishin and start smokin what weewee smokes :laughs: :laughs: