View Full Version : Seeking knowledge 2 - Worm Spawn

RIJIMMY
11-26-2003, 01:19 PM
Anyone fish the worm spawn in South County? I'm interested in giving it a shot this spring. Any advice? Heres what I know, warm sunny days in late May-June, shallow coves, salt ponds, best time is early evening...worm flies or sluggos. Need small boat, canoe or kayak.
Am I on the right track?

Random question...is Ninigret pond = Charlestown Breach Pond?

THANKS !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Clammer
11-26-2003, 02:15 PM
YEP++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++=:rolleyes:

RIJIMMY
12-02-2003, 12:50 PM
Bumping this too. Just looking for some insight...no secret spots.:)

Scotch Bonnet
12-02-2003, 01:05 PM
You got the right idea. It can be alittle frustrating with 1000s of bass swirling around the boat and not one will hit the sluggo. But if some cloud cover moves in or when the sun gets low, its stupid fishing. I use a 4# test setup and its a blast.

rizzo
12-02-2003, 04:47 PM
I've never fished it with spinning gear but have spent quite a bit of time with the fly rod. Ninigret is charleston breachway pond. From the beginning of may to mid june is good for the pond. Everyone parks in ninigret park and walks to a section called the narrows. Usually when the hatch is on the bass come in right before dark. The park closes at dark and the gates are locked. There are sometimes over 20 guys fly fishing here but theres plenty of room for everyone.

The worm hatches happen in a lot of other places in rhode island throughout the summer on the moon tides. All the breachway ponds are good and the rivers in narragansett are good too. A kayak is really helpful to get to a lot of places and you can fish all the salt ponds and dont have to worry about finding access on foot. Use a floating line if fly fishing and use at least 2 worm flies at a time.

fishweewee
12-02-2003, 04:48 PM
Worms taste awful. Why would bass be so dumb to eat them? :p

The Dad Fisherman
12-02-2003, 05:03 PM
Whats the Worm Spawn??

I'm assuming its the bass migrating up the rivers and tributaries to spawn...But why "Worm Spawn"

Scotch Bonnet
12-02-2003, 05:15 PM
Cinder worms come out of the mud to mate in the spring. Thousands of worms swarming in the water and the bass belly up and take advantage. Its an amazing sight to see, that many Bass boiling all around you.

The Dad Fisherman
12-02-2003, 05:30 PM
Thanx for the quick reply.....Is this localized to certain areas in RI or on the Cape? Or does it happen all around. I'm up on the north Shore and was wondering How I can take advantage of it up here.

Bill L
12-02-2003, 06:32 PM
For what it's worth, I don't consider the worm spawns to be a "big" fish fishery. Sure, I've caught lots of keepers during the spawn, biggest for me only around 37/38", but by far, many, many more schoolies. Sure are fun on light tackle though. I use 10# mono, tied direct to a 3" bubble gum sluggo on worm hook (Mr Twister Keeper Hooks work well, with the little barb to hold the front of the bait and stick your finger when unhooking). I do plan to switch over to 14# fireline and fluoro leader on that setup next year though.

Not sure about where else spawns occur, the Fisherman has had articles about them on the connecticut river (or was it the thames?) and I think they happen in the bay too.

The RIDEM has had seminars on the spawns in the spring the last couple of years, didn't end up going but I think they focused on the worms and not so much the fishing end.

rizzo
12-02-2003, 07:04 PM
Worm spawns occur all over the east coast down to florida and some even during the winter. I think they catch tarpon in some of the worm hatches down south. The worm hatch is more of a light tackle event and theres also a lot of hickory shad who feast on them with the bass in the salt ponds. The cape has hatches along with maine and the rest of the north.

fishweewee
12-02-2003, 07:05 PM
Hate to say it, but sometimes the hickory shad put up more of a fight than the little schoolies chowing on the worms.

Nebe
12-02-2003, 07:16 PM
I witnessed it one mornign at one of my favorite places. I didnt know it was a wormspawn until about 2 hours of throwing poppers into the blitz with no hits. It was driving me crazy:smash: then I thought about it and realized what was going on and switched to a power eel. Sucess at last!