View Full Version : Cod jigging

InshoreAngler
11-29-2003, 12:27 PM
I can't seem to find any sites on methods of cod jigging (squidding, pounding, etc.) I would like to learn how to do these before I go on the yankee trip tomorrow (weather permitting)
Does anyone know any websites with this information?

Raider Ronnie
11-29-2003, 01:22 PM
Try this,
www.codfish.com
Ron

InshoreAngler
11-29-2003, 01:58 PM
thanks ron, checked it out....not a whole lot of information but a few methods on filleting and recipes and stuff, thanks:)
any others?

fishsmith
11-29-2003, 03:51 PM
There's not secret to it, let out line till the jig hits the bottom, when you feel the bottom, lift the rod so you don't feel the bottom, drop the rod tip till you feel the bottom again, continue until a fish hits, if you stop feeling the bottom let line out until you hit bottom. Repeat over and over and over and over ........

Canalratt1
11-29-2003, 04:12 PM
Couple ways to do it depending on the type of bottom. If its very rocky with lots of hangs I'll keep it moving, don't let the jig drag or you will hang up quick. Hard bottom with not many hangs I'll just rest my jig on the bottom and bounce the tip a few seconds then jerk up hard, we call this "wiggle,wiggle, SLAM.." and it can be very effective. You have to have your jig near the bottom at all times if your drifting let out line. You can also cast up current to maximize your drift. Watch the sharpies on the boat and try to duplicate their jigging, sometimes the cod want alot of action other times just slight movement and if all fails go to bait...

InshoreAngler
11-29-2003, 05:28 PM
GRRRR i hate bad weather!!
my reservation had to be cancelled, there not going tomorrow. now I have to rely on the Frances tog trip, and call them @ 5:30 to hear there decision on tomorrow.
thanks for all the help on jigging:) hopefully i'll get to use it soon:af:

Notaro
11-29-2003, 11:12 PM
if u ask fishweewee on the jigging methods, you should ask him. he is good. i would hit the bottom and feel it, then i bounce like i did last time on capt. mike's. if u dont have any control on ur jig and couldnt maintain a contact on the ground, just reel it back in and redo. u dont want to overspool your line.

fishweewee
11-30-2003, 11:23 AM
Originally posted by Notaro
if u ask fishweewee on the jigging methods, you should ask him.

Notaro, one should never confuse dumb luck with skill. :laughs:

Notaro
11-30-2003, 01:25 PM
Originally posted by fishweewee
u kidding me, man?

Gloucester2
12-01-2003, 11:48 AM
Originally posted by fishweewee

I thought it was that twisty rod you were using :D

fishweewee