View Full Version : first/last striper of the year?

tlapinski
11-29-2003, 01:45 PM
ok, this is to those that have hung it up for the season. when was your first and last striper caught this year, and what was it caught on? if you want to, you can mention what state it was caught in, too.

my first bass was caught on april 19 in CT. i caught the fish on a pencil popper, and it weighed 11 pounds. that first outting of the year tallied roughly 20 fish up to 21#'s. they were all caught on topwater plugs.

my last fish was caught on 11/5 in RI and weighed a little over 22#'s. that one was caught on an eel. i took several fish in that size that night, all on eels.

there is a nagging bug in me that wants one more night in the surf, but it will probably not get its way.

Canalman
11-29-2003, 07:13 PM
1st Bass was April 4th in Mass -- very small maybe 20 inches Little rubber grub w/ lead head
Last Bass Nov 14th in Mass -- 35 inches say 17 to 18 Lbs. Eel.

scarecrow
11-29-2003, 07:50 PM
My first Bass was caught on April 21st on a bucktail jig in south hadley.

My last bass weighed 26 pounds and was caught on october 19th on a white pencil popper.

STEVE IN MASS
11-29-2003, 08:02 PM
My first, and this is quite funny, was in late April (not sure of the exact date without checking my log), down in Jersey in Barneget Bay, on a Fin-S.....it was all of 6 inches long, if that....:eek:

My last was also in Jersey, on November 12th, at 8 PM, caught on a Wildeye Storm Shad.....

And I haven't been out since, :(...... and not sure I'll get another chance unless this weather turns around soon......

bloocrab
11-29-2003, 08:12 PM
My latest fish was caught this morning...(in gale force winds :)...hold on Milo!!!)...:happy::happy:

..Seriously though, .. . If you still want some fun on light action, don't hang it up yet. There are MANY large schools of mackerel in mixed sizes feeding up and down the rocky R.I. coastline. We had a blast this morning casting to macks, , , I think Milo had the Sabiki rig loaded up a couple of times..<fish on each hook>...I know some of you'z guys only Bass fish....but I've always liked to mix it up with all the fisheeez. We'd fish a spot until the $%@! seals would move in...then we'd have to find them again....aaaaaaaaaahhhhhh........fishing is good. :)

bloocrab
11-29-2003, 08:15 PM
...yeah, that's one of Tattoo's 3.5 oz. custom jobs for scale....these macks had me biting my lower lip. Excellent time on light tackle. :)

...and check out how similar Tattoo's paint job is to the original mack itself....and this is one of his earlier proto-types. He's only gotten BETTER!!!!!!!! :D:D

breakfast fish
11-30-2003, 12:18 AM
caught over fifty of those guys last week, my buddy went back with spoons and caught the same number but larger. he was hooking up blue back herring as well. the school of macks moved quick, but ur right about the seals. we saw three that day. seems like the action slowed once the tide was slack.

macojoe
11-30-2003, 12:31 AM
Well I got my late as I got started late. Then i went straight to Fluke fishing.
So my first striper was July 5th. My last was Oct. some time.
Then i got a few Cod and i was done.
Hope to get a nice early start in the Spring!! Bigest was 44" lond and 34.5 #

The Dad Fisherman
11-30-2003, 03:03 AM
I got to tell you Bloocrab is on to something. I took my kids down to singing beach in manchester and helped them fish a mackerel blitz and we had a ball. I would walk out into the surf cast and then hand the rod back to either my son or daughter to reel it in. They got a mackerel every cast and they couldn't stop laughing they were having so much fun. It was non-stop for about 1.5 hours.

I'd give it a try if you want to break up the boredom. Try it on some light tackle and you'll have a blast. Keep a couple and smoke'em they are pretty tasty that way.

My last fish of the season was a tad bit small. Have been smelt fishing lately. Pretty much no sport but they are good eating.

Mr. Sandman
11-30-2003, 06:48 AM
First keeper was the very end of april but the fishing was'nt any good until mid to late May. And it turned on very fast...from nothing to some of the best surfcasting I'ver seen in years.
Fall surfcasting was poor this year, never saw any blitzing action and never got hot...slow pick all fall here. Had a few decent boat trips. My last bass was a boat fish Nov 8. Weird year all around.

tlapinski
11-30-2003, 08:00 AM
bloo, i could go for some mackeral action. i may have to break out some light tackle and see if i can find anything. did you see anything besides the seals feeding on the macks?

milo
11-30-2003, 09:43 AM
Toby there was no action on top(down deep),but when the seal showed up =no more macs ,but when you get 5 on at a time its like havin a schoolie on

redcrbbr
11-30-2003, 11:31 AM
seals put up one heck of a fight and taste alot like bald eagle or swan:laughs: :laughs:

first bass was with ledgerunner rubba begining of april...around the fourth..caught a few that week..winter fix

last bass with eel last day of october..i think...i'm so confused:confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:

milo and bloo...use guyzzzzz still picking tog????

milo
11-30-2003, 11:52 AM
think most of the big uns moved off shore BOB,still small ones around tho

Canalman
11-30-2003, 12:29 PM
Bob--- YOur last bass was November 12th

bud8fan
11-30-2003, 01:26 PM
Bob you must really be getting old? I thought he was a wee bit young for alzheimer's but I guess you never can tell!!

Now we all know to ask him twice when he tells us where he caught the fish!!:laughs:

My first fish........ ummmm?? I think it was around the third week of april. Twinkie! 17" at best.

Last fish?? was last sunday////// actually caught a couple but they were less than 20" but still fun on a 6' spinning rod with 6lb test!!

RIROCKHOUND
11-30-2003, 04:32 PM
Still Tog off Newport.... deep water....100ft + ... best is still to come? depends on weather... have had great days post Xmas....
Macks off shore in Newport today was well.... not as big as Bloo had, but tasty none the less....
'hound

bloocrab
11-30-2003, 05:53 PM
mister lapinski . . . .

...No. ... nothing but rain-like bait being punished by the macks and gulls. The wind was fierce so I only brought minimal tackle with me...no live-line for me that day. There are reports of HUGE schools of macks in the vicinity...:confused:...where were they hiding this past fall? Not that we had a lack of baitfish...but...where were they? Maine? I'm usually into plug-sized macks come mid-to-late August but they just weren't here. I know the boat guys were getting some but landlubbers like myself..didn't have a clue....

..oh, I also jigged up a tommy-cod. :smash: ...

tlapinski
11-30-2003, 06:24 PM
thanks, bloo. i may have to shoot down to RI tuesday and see if i can find them. let me know if you will be around tuesday morning.

Got Stripers
11-30-2003, 08:31 PM
First fish was Jan 1st, because I remember I slipped and forgot to renew my freshwater CT license, but fished anyway and slammed them that day. I caught 25 or so today, but I'd guess my last will be closer to the end of Dec, weather permitting; hey I'm a sick bastard what can I say.

bud8fan
11-30-2003, 08:38 PM
GS,
Your not sick! If you know where you can get fish you go to them! No matter how cold it gets!!
I think alot of us would do the same if we had the opportunity!

12-01-2003, 08:37 AM
Hmmm the 1st was probably the last week of April around the West Wall, the last was this past Friday a nice little 33" fish of my favorite 4x4 beach....

Rappin Mikey
12-01-2003, 09:43 AM
1st was a 33" fish off of the shores of South Hadley, last week of April, on a Salt Water Bass Assassin (6" albino shad)

Last was a twink, early Nov, Weekapaug Breechway, Bass Assassin

Bill L
12-02-2003, 06:20 PM
First Fish Caught -- twinkie April 15th at the West Wall

Last Fish Caught -- twinkie November 22nd

Last Keeper caught --- 28" fish Nov. 18

Last Fish LOST -- had a NICE fish on Thanksgiving morning, tried to horse it out of a rip/rocks instead of playing it properly and straightened my jig hook :smash: That was a real heartbreaker, it felt like a good fish, maybe my biggest of the season. Didn't see or catch anything else that day, other than a couple of fish in the wash at the same time I was busy losing mine. :crying:

Last Fish SEEN -- Friday after T-day,took a trip to the local bathing beach and found a flock of birds working. While trying to determine if the dark patch under them was weed or bait, had a fish roll in the first wave. Casted away, but no hookups other than snagging some peanuts. Then they were gone :rolleyes:

Still plan to go out, but this wind has just plain sucked, looks like its going to keep on s#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&g too :af: