View Full Version : Saving your address book and Favorites list

Saltheart
12-20-2000, 09:42 AM
I've built about 50 computers for people over the last 3 years. Since I'm "experienced" ??? I'm pretty adventurous with my own machine. Since I'm apparently not experienced enough , I periodically get in so much trouble I end up losing the whole show. I don't really care except I lose my email address book and my favoritres bookmarks. How can I save the email addresses and the favorites and then reinstall them after I get my system back up after a crash.

JohnR
12-20-2000, 12:21 PM
For Netscape or Explorer (which version) or both??? Sometimes you can export, sometimes you need to manually upgrade (ie - grab files and force 'em)

Steve M
12-25-2000, 06:29 PM
The directory c:\windows\favorites contains the favorites list. Just copy it to a disk.
If youre using Outlook Express on the start screen is an icon for the Addressbook click it and in the File dropdown is the ability to export the addressbook as a text file.

Saltheart
01-02-2001, 05:37 PM
I'll have to try it at home and see what happens. If you save it as a text file , can you simply load it back in or do you have to retype in each address again in outlook express.
I use IE and its a fairly new version.

JohnR
01-03-2001, 08:39 AM
Hey Saltheart,

If you are using IE5/Outlook Express, go to FILE -> EXPORT to export to a *.wab file or if you are going to a different format like Netscape or Eudora, you would probably need to do a text file... When time to put PAB into fresh outlook install, just choose to import from FILE -> IMPORT

Saltheart
01-04-2001, 04:20 PM
Thanks John. I'm tired of losing everybodies email address.