View Full Version : Maine Report

MartyK
06-12-2000, 12:25 PM
I didn't get a lot of fish, but landing a 36" this time of year was a pleasant surprise. It may not be the best way to fish, but I walk into the suds, cast my bait, loosen the drag to nothing and walk backwards to shore. In this case, I got back to shore and took a few seconds to realize that my line was still going out. I estimate that I finally stopped the fish 150 yards away. It wasn't a particularly fat fish, but he made me work for a while. I also landed a 26", a 22" and a 17". I had numerous light hits all weekend but couldn't hook them up. The taps were much faster than I usually feel with a striper and the bait would come back intact. The only thing I can think of is tiny stripers or maybe even pollock or flounder that couldn't get the bait into their mouths. There were also a lot of big crabs in the surf, something that is very unusual, but after the storm last week a lot of strange looking things were on the beach. It may be coincidence, but I have yet to so much as get a bite on the outgoing tide. Admittedly, I spend more time on the incoming, but not that much more for the difference in results. My year old waders started leaking on Sunday, and the Kittery Trading Post was very gracious in replacing them. I have some business to take care of this Friday, so I probably won't be hitting the beach until late afternoon (outgoing tide, yech).

fisherwoman
06-12-2000, 05:00 PM
Hi Martyk, glad to hear the fishing is picking up for you up there, that is terrific, and a few nice ones at that, way to go!!!!!

fisherwoman

MartyK
06-13-2000, 09:06 AM
Thanks, Fisherwoman. I'm glad to hear from your other posts that you are recovering well from your shoulder surgery. I'll tell you this, it is a grat feeling to pull back on the rod after a hit and feel that mono "twang" from being stretched out from something trying to take it the other direction. I don't care if it's a schoolie or a cow, that tight line gets my adrenalin going every time.

fisherwoman
06-13-2000, 12:32 PM
Hi Martyk, yes am recovering pretty well will take about 3-4 months says the doc. I'm with you buddy, big or small ya gotta love it. Just glad you are finally into them. take care!!!

fisherwoman