View Full Version : looking to fish the latter part of may

Fishguts
05-08-2001, 07:00 PM
for the past thirteen years I have lived in Utah, I have been spoiled with blue ribbon trout waters but my heart is in the east. I will be coming to Ma on may 23 and leaving the 29. I spent hundreds of hours chasing stripers mainly in the plumb island area . My question is this... will I be too early for the plumb island area? and if so are there any suggestions where to go. also I will be with A brother in law that has never landed anything over three pounds so any information would be helpful thanks.

nightfighter
05-08-2001, 09:56 PM
Fishguts,
I am on North Shore and it's been slim pickings so far. Only been casting a few times along some river spots that are new to me, but haven't heard or seen anything but little rats as yet. I have but one 12" little schoolie rat to my credit so far, and wouldn't bet against it being a holdover. I am new to this message group, but am impressed with the comraderie and exchange of reports. Though no one has given me their tried and true favorite spot as yet, this is the place to get informed info to plan your fishing itinerary for your eastern swing. Cape and canal seem to be heating up from what I can surmise. I too will be awaiting the migration to reach north of Beantown.

Striperbum
05-09-2001, 07:00 AM
Fish - Things are just starting @ PI with schoolie stripers being caught ~ but fishing is sporadic at best. Catching 3 to 6 lb. fish should be solid by your arrival date - although the larger fish will not arrive until early June. Surfland Bait & Tackle is still there on the island and is still run by the same fine folks.

Some other local places you can always try are the Parker River & PI Sound, Beverly Habor, the Danvers River, Halibut State Park @ Cape Ann (Gloucester) and Peaches Point inMarblehead.

Larger fish are to be had @ Boston Harbor, CC Canal and other points south during your stay. If your main quest is for some LARGE fish (for bro-in-law) and you are unfamiliar with the Cape - why not hire a guide? In my opinion it would be $$$ & time well spent.

Good Luck!
Rich