View Full Version : So you think you got snow eh?

likwid
12-09-2003, 08:49 AM
http://doomgaze.worldeater.org/photo/snow2.jpg
Driving to work at 3am on Sunday morning through Pinkham Notch.

Snow falling approx 2 inches an hour
6 inches to 2 feet of snow on the road in drifts...
Some drifts well over 3 feet in some spots.
Visibility 0

:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

http://doomgaze.worldeater.org/photo/snow3.jpg
Wildcat resort Monday morning
FOURTY SEVEN PLUS INCHES OF FRESH UNTRACKED POWDER
Drifts well over 5-6 feet

Best day riding I've had since 94

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

chris L
12-09-2003, 09:26 AM
nice pix ! nothing better than untouched snow . I like being out after a good snow before the other humans wake up and destroy it .

Enjoy it !

likwid
12-09-2003, 09:32 AM
The best was mach'ing through monster snowdrifts.
The worst part was realizing visibility is now zero and you can't see where you're going and you dive the nose on your board/skis.

But atleast falling didn't hurt.

Getting up in fluff was difficult though.

My legs don't work today! :cool:

Mr. Sandman
12-09-2003, 11:10 AM
Sounds sweet!!! Wishin I was there.

"Driving to work at 3am on Sunday morning through Pinkham Notch."

Dude, what do you do?

likwid
12-09-2003, 11:11 AM
ski patrol :cool:

Mr. Sandman
12-09-2003, 11:12 AM
Not much bass fishin in the Mt. Washington area. You live up there?

likwid
12-09-2003, 11:17 AM
only during the winter.

got some fly fishing in about 2 weeks ago before everything froze over though

yum
happy natural rainbow
:D

Mr. Sandman
12-09-2003, 11:19 AM
Are you up there now? Can I tap you for a first hand snow report from time to time?

likwid
12-09-2003, 11:25 AM
go right ahead

i work at Sunday River during the winter :D

Mr. Sandman
12-09-2003, 11:38 AM
Sweet, we make about 6-8, 3-4 day trips per year and visit Sunday River at least 2X...one of my personal favorites. Work myself from the hotel, across all the mountains to one of my favorite slopes, have lunch at that hotel right on that slope lalapuloosa(?), and then work my way back for a swim in the that outdoor pool at the main lodge. It is really quite a nice place.

Are you physically there now? What do you do in the summer?

likwid
12-09-2003, 11:48 AM
currently living in N. Conway and commuting up to Bethel
employee housing isn't available for another week so i drive to work currently

during the summer its a combo of:

diving (salvage/moorings/cleaning bottoms)
SAR
web dev
network consulting
and sleeping alot ;)

Big Vern
12-09-2003, 11:48 AM
Soooooooooo jealous.

Of course, on the weekend of epic snow what was I doing despite a season pass and place to stay at Sunday River? That's right - packing for our move on Friday. To make matters worse, my ever so courteous friends gladly gave me snow updates from the lifts. Things like "Dude, waist deep pow in New England. Can you believe it? Hahahaha (fades out)". Unfortunately, I won't make it up until January.

Also, what board shop around SR does the best repairs? I've got a core shot along the rail that I'm a little aprehensive to fix myself, the shop near me that I trusted went out of business, and I sure as hell ain't taking it to SkiMarket.

Mr. Sandman
12-09-2003, 11:50 AM
Originally posted by likwid
currently living in N. Conway and commuting up to Bethel
employee housing isn't available for another week so i drive to work currently

during the summer its a combo of:

diving (salvage/moorings/cleaning bottoms)
SAR
web dev
network consulting
and sleeping alot ;)

Nice life....must be young and single

likwid
12-09-2003, 11:51 AM
try blades board and skate down there
they got their crap together...
i used to give them my business when i still had to pay for my boards etc.

now i just pay for my skis :(
(which i need another set of teles speaking of)

core shots are sketchy
what would you be looking for in a board if it wasn't repairable?
i might be parting with my Ride Profile 160 w/ Ride SPi bindings if i got an offer i couldn't refuse (and would be enough for a set of used K2 tele's w/ bindings)

27 and seeing someone actually ;)
and getting friendly with the new female patrollers....

Big Vern
12-09-2003, 11:55 AM
Blades was my place, and that's the one that went out of Business.

I've got a Burton Custom 160.5 that's about three years old (the one with the mother of pearl inlay), and I am not looking for a new board. I love mine, and I am 99% certain this is fixable.

Do you know the Rossi rep Mitchy/Ken that services your region? Good friend and former roommate of mine.

RIROCKHOUND
12-09-2003, 11:57 AM
Likwid...
Do you work out of newport in the summer? Who do you dive for? I work for Viking Tours in the summer, running and bartending on the Viking Queen out of Goat Island... we've probably crossed path's before....
Bryan

likwid
12-09-2003, 11:57 AM
i've met him but don't know him personally
the K2 rep is a freaking wack job
Ride rep is a huge pita

Mostly work out of Fairhaven/S. Dartmouth.
I work for myself diving.
90% refferals through Fairhaven Shipyard/New Bedford Yacht Club etc.

likwid
12-09-2003, 12:03 PM
ps: OH GOD I HURT TODAY

Jimbo
12-09-2003, 12:05 PM
That's a nice, soothing winter picture, just like out behind my house, but with 30" less snow. The mind's willing but the body's just not up for the rigors of downhill winter sports, but a tromp thru deep, virgin snow in a quiet forest, well that's quite another thing. Reminds me of Frost...just not under the same circumstances of his poem. Thanks for the pic!

Whose woods these are I think I know.
His house is in the village, though;
He will not see me stopping here
To watch his woods fill up with snow.
My little horse must think it queer
To stop without a farmhouse near
Between the woods and frozen lake
The darkest evening of the year.

JohnR
12-09-2003, 12:10 PM
Hmmmm White Heat - used to do that pre-ACL :( - Miss Skiing :(

likwid
12-09-2003, 04:28 PM
Poached the heat and spruce cliffs sunday afternoon :eek:

epic
totally epic

and i know plenty of post acl people who still rip

JohnR
12-09-2003, 04:34 PM
and i know plenty of post acl people who still rip

I still need to have the reconstruction part done - all they did was remove what was in there :(

likwid
12-09-2003, 07:23 PM
Ahhh

I gotcha...

Get a job!
Get it fixed!
Come ride the River!

I can probably hook ya up too ;)

nightfighter
12-09-2003, 09:44 PM
Oh John...... You don't HAVE to get the recon. I didn't and still love to rip and carve em. I will say that losing 30+# made a huge difference, both skiing and skating.

Likwid, looking at new skis, any feedback on pro forms and what the pros are liking this year? I like to cruise, steeps, but only good for a couple bumpin runs a day, to give an idea of what I want in a ski.

l.i.fish.in.vt
12-09-2003, 09:46 PM
well we got only 30 or so inchs over here at Sugarbush. skiing wasn't bad for the first hour or two.only north was open. my legs were toast by monday.

Tagger
12-09-2003, 10:03 PM
Likwid ...maybe I'll bump into you ...I'l be at Sunday River ...12/27-1/1...:happy: :smash:

devils fiddle
12-10-2003, 12:07 AM
i only got 3 feet here at the K.:rolleyes: having trouble walking today, but it was worth it. at it again tomorrow before get it gets a little sloppy thursday. was heade south to ri to move boat from boatyard to house but its snowed in.:confused: darn snow.:happy:

likwid
12-10-2003, 08:38 AM
I don't alpine ski.
Only telemark and snowboard.

But I can ask around at work what people are liking and not liking.

In all honesty, the Crisports guys at SR are totally honest and will tell you what rocks and what dosen't, and the prices are pretty much in line with what you'll find in normal shops (ski market etc.).

As far as people coming up.... Send me a PM and I'll let you know closer to the date where on the mountain I'll be working if you wanna swing by and give a hollar.

Wildcat had about 4-5 feet of powder
From what I heard from the patrollers there it was actually around 55 inches of fresh...

That'd explain dissapearing in the steeps into the snow at times.

beachwalker
12-10-2003, 08:45 AM
Likwid,

The K2 rep is a wack job ? Which one ?

PM me. The K2 rep I am friends with is a good sh%$&t.

Hope you are having a blast. I am amped to get rolling this year but am just to damn busy right now to find the time.''

It will happen...... :)

likwid
12-10-2003, 09:11 AM
Been having a great time with all this snow, except its beating the hell out of one of my elbows...

Seems to be clearing up slowly though after a couple super hard days of shoveling etc.

Mr. Sandman
12-10-2003, 09:15 AM
I like this thread...its getting me really pumped to go. First trip is jay peak new years week.

likwid
12-10-2003, 09:25 AM
Pics from back home in MA from the storm

http://doomgaze.worldeater.org/photo/house1.jpg

http://doomgaze.worldeater.org/photo/house2.jpg

http://doomgaze.worldeater.org/photo/house3.jpg

My dog has no clue what to think of it down there!

But you guys don't need to be reminded of down yonder... So I'll add this:

http://doomgaze.worldeater.org/photo/snow6.jpg

JohnR
12-10-2003, 09:33 AM
Originally posted by nightfighter
Oh John...... You don't HAVE to get the recon. I didn't and still love to rip and carve em. I will say that losing 30+# made a huge difference, both skiing and skating.

Ross - I DO need the recon. I can't thor my weight (all of it :rollem: ) hard to one knee for tight stops or turns. I can't sno9w stop to my right on skates either. I need to lose sixty

likwid
12-10-2003, 09:40 AM
One season took me from 170ish to 145

I also skied/rode 180+ days :D

steelhead
12-10-2003, 10:52 AM
I've been skiing for the past 25+ years on a right knee with no acl, no cartalige, and several relocated ligaments to help hold things together. The key to painless skiing is keeping the quads and hamstrings in good shape and a good brace, not one of those drug store kind. The other thing that has really helped me are shaped skis. Between the shape and the shorter lengths, I figure that I can ski right in to my 70's now. The techniques used for skiing them take so much pressure off your knees it's absolutely amazing! If you can learn how to ride the edge of the ski and let the shape of the ski do the work for you, you won't even notice that you have a bad knee!

beachwalker
12-10-2003, 11:22 AM
Oh ya Likwid,

Had no snow leftover from storm. Playing golf and working here. Life ain't SO bad. Head off tonight for a 2 day work trip so I I guess I'll see some. Heading to PA and back. No time to fish, nothing. Back by Friday night for the evening boat.

I'll get back to you on the swag ;)

GaryK2
12-10-2003, 02:57 PM
Great shots Likwid!!! And an even better life style! We did a week last year at Sunday River right after Christmas. Was hoping to do it again but the wife has a new job and can't get the time off. But when up there last year, every morning I'd head right up to whiteheat for a few good warm up runs (Come on JohnR, I've had two ACLs reconstructs).

I am all alpine however as I am a race coach at Blandford MA. I also manage to still race in a corporate league here in CT. But I love the woods, the parks, the pipe, the powder...all of it. I'm thinking of getting some twin tips, but right now have a selection of slalom and GS skis.

We were at Mount Snow Saturday during the storm and I wish we got snowed in because Sunday must have been better.

I envy you, but hows bout a race starting at the top of the headwall at Tucks down to Pinkam notch?

I hope you have a great season!

beachwalker
12-10-2003, 03:04 PM
They used to have one called the inferno.

Way to dangerous for anyone to insure it today :(

likwid
12-10-2003, 03:06 PM
Now there's Son Of Inferno.

If I could find a set of brand new 2k1-2k2 Arc Angels i'd put pink slips on the line ;)

beachwalker
12-10-2003, 03:21 PM
No sh%&t

I would hike up there to see that one for sure. Haven't been up the trail in 20 years..... :(

likwid
12-10-2003, 03:47 PM
http://www.friendsoftuckerman.org/inferno/

I might skin up and take a lazy run down Shelburne to watch for the day this winter. ;)

Christian
12-10-2003, 03:57 PM
i like the idea of the pic of who wins the auction, cept have them standing in front of their massive pile of stuff.:D
.................................................. .................................................. .
i just realized i replied to the totaly wrong thread:smash:

GaryK2
12-10-2003, 04:10 PM
Yea, I haven't been to tucks in quite a while. Ah the good ol days. I remember being in college and someone getting the brillant idea to head up to tucks at midnight. That's what time we left University of Hartford! We got to the parking lot at about 5:00 and slept for two hours before making the hike to the lean-toos to spend the weekend.

That weekend we saw a guy, Greg Smith I think his name is, jump off the headwall. We didn't realize it at the time, but Warren Miller was there filming him. We realized it the next fall when his movie came out. We were like..."Hey we were there when he did that."

likwid
12-10-2003, 04:21 PM
a few years ago... and the footage is still locked in the vault (known as the cd-r's full of dv footage) i did a rodeo 5 (full backflip + 540 degrees of rotation) off the lip after a good dump and slide and stomped it

once was good enough for me ;)

don't think my knees could take doing that up there again though... im happy enough making turns down the heat on tele's or burning up oz after some fresh on snowboard

GaryK2
12-10-2003, 05:20 PM
so when we gonna see ya in Freeze magazine? Actually the liftie of the month this month is from Sunday River. The heck with the new female patrol you're meeting, you should be lookin her up!

I'll stick to the basic 360 heli's, but not off the headwall. Gettin old....

likwid
12-10-2003, 05:48 PM
I saw that in Freeze.
Never seen her before, nor has anyone in mountain ops.

She's just some chick that was skiing/riding at the river and they said "hey... wanna be in a magazine?"

Sadly enough, we don't have liftees that hot, otherwise I'd be chasing them ;)

And as far as photo shoots and all that, nah, I ride for me, I don't ride for pictures.

GaryK2
12-11-2003, 11:15 AM
Maybe we should start a new forum before we get in trouble from John.

Ok...what are your top five runs in New England?

1) Goat - Stowe
2) Paradise - Mad River
3) White Heat - Sunday River
4) FIS - Sugarbush
5) Exterminator - SugarBush

runner up: Outerlimits - Killington

l.i.fish.in.vt
12-11-2003, 01:33 PM
Gary,if you are in Valley to ski mad river or Sugarbush let me know, i live right there. i ski sugarbush, since my wife works there.raining pretty good as i typesnow is disappearing quickly.my kids use to race with GMVS ski club, my son is now on the high school team, daughter just free skis

GaryK2
12-11-2003, 04:57 PM
You mean raining pretty bad don't you (as opossed to raining pretty good)? I have good freinds that have a condo at Sugarbush south. Their kids are on Green MT. Do you know the Knortz'? I believe they have been on the team for three years.

Next time we head up that way I'll definity zip you a message.

Good luck to your son!

Mr. Sandman
12-11-2003, 05:18 PM
that is quite a list...you must like hard core bumps. On that list, I have only skied goat and white heat and they pretty much maxed out my knees . Perhaps if I was 20 years younger... When the conditions are right I like flying monkey at SR.

rwilhelm
12-11-2003, 05:45 PM
I have not been skiing in about 3 years and really miss it. I give anyone that can ski White Heat well a lot of credit that is a very challenging trail. About 5 years ago was the last time I was at Sunday River and I struggled on it, granted it was all ice that day.

Mr. Sandman
12-11-2003, 06:18 PM
I am glad we have some serious ski/riders on this site...we should have our own thread. (after all they have a teen and old farts thread...)I think this could get serious. I never knew there was a connection between striped bass fishing/computers and skiing...must be a deep genetic thing.

I have lots of questions for you experts.

Tagger
12-11-2003, 08:36 PM
Favirote is Sunday River...least favirote Stowe.. I really like Smugglers Notch,,,good prices..:happy:

likwid
12-11-2003, 10:37 PM
1 - tucks/shelburne ski trail - mount washington
2 - Suntanner park - Stratton
3 - Ruby Palace - Sunday River
4 - jag glade - Wildcat (reminds me of west coast glades)
5 - white heat - Sunday River

Tagger
12-13-2003, 03:41 PM
Coming to Sunday River soon !!!!!

beachwalker
12-13-2003, 03:57 PM
Go Kahn !

Swimmer
12-13-2003, 05:05 PM
.:cool:

Hey Likwid at least keep us informed on whats happening, so the rest of us can live vicariously through your winter exploits. About the only thing you left off your summer resume was what kind of surfboard you ride. Send us pictures of the GIRLS, appropriate ones of course. Hey john we need a skiing icon and a surfing icon.

:cool:

likwid
12-13-2003, 07:36 PM
Hah.

Best thing today, weekly meeting at work for our department.

They feed us, I down 2 cans of Dew (I don't drink dew very often... no caffeine all day)

Turn into driver from hell.

Other than that, some Perfect Turn person was in a white leopard outfit (like a mascot type outfit with the huge head) skiing.

Wasn't too sure what to think of that.

I'll post a pic of it Monday when im not half asleep.

Almost all the lifts should be open by Wednesday, Aurora just opened this weekend, along with Barker access from Whitecap.

So Whitecap and possibly Jordan will be open by next weekend, esp. with the snow coming Sunday night!

Oz shouldn't be far behind! :drool:

beachwalker
12-13-2003, 10:03 PM
Wax em' up for pow likwid !

Mr. Sandman
12-14-2003, 10:17 AM
"white leopard outfit"

Dontcha just luv those? :humpty:

likwid
12-15-2003, 07:56 AM
waking up to a foot of fresh snow

best ever.

Slingah
12-15-2003, 08:20 AM
NICE!!!!
Heading up tues night/wed ski.
Have you heard rain or snow for wed?

likwid
12-15-2003, 09:28 AM
its up in the air for what its supposed to do still
probably know by tonight

where you headed?

l.i.fish.in.vt
12-15-2003, 10:27 PM
another two feet plus here at Sugarbush.by 1 30 all lifts were down do to wind.unfortunatly, i have to drive to NYC tomorrow to deliver some funiture.looks like a nasty trip back wednesday. some of the best early skiing .the woods are even skiable if you are carefull

likwid
12-16-2003, 03:35 PM
Looked at a pair of K2 World Piste from last year
#)$&)@!#*!@ wants $400! for them with G3 bindings!@#!!!

ARGH
:af:

beachwalker
12-16-2003, 06:19 PM
I hear you Likwid. Hang in there. I still haven't got through to the source. I'll know in the next couple of days......

How's the Pow ? I hear Jay picked up 4' ! :eek:

I hope it is still snowing in January. I am too busy to do anything 'til then.

Talk to you soon.

likwid
12-16-2003, 06:30 PM
Wasn't too bad yesterday, stuck around here in the valley and hit Attitash.

Bear Peak was decent with barely any runs on it and plenty to poach!

I think I got the guy talked down to $350 and he's gonna pull them off consignment at the shop I found em at.

Just need to sell my extra snowboard now ;)

Mr. Sandman
12-16-2003, 06:31 PM
Originally posted by beachwalker
I How's the Pow ? I hear Jay picked up 4' ! :eek:
:happy:

likwid
12-16-2003, 06:38 PM
Jay is too far a drive.
Someone come pick up in the really really north country ;)

beachwalker
12-16-2003, 07:33 PM
Believe it or not I had a season pass at Jay last year ($450!) and rode about 35 days.

Funny thing is I live on Nantucket...... :(

It would take me 4.5 hrs from Hyannis without being too crazy. Just had to make sure I took the evening boat so I didn't get screwed in Boston.

Had some great days at Okemo/Killington as well. Remember them southern dumps last year ? :) They were sweet !

A lot more work going on right now :(

I'll be up ;) :D

likwid
12-16-2003, 07:55 PM
eww k-mart
200 trails
150 are connectors

beachwalker
12-16-2003, 08:49 PM
Ya but 3' foot dumps are 3' dumps.

No weekends at those southern spots.

likwid
12-16-2003, 09:06 PM
Stratton even though more expensive is definitely a better deal than k-mart.

Better conditions/grooming/trail system.
You don't cross 300 trails going from peak down and the crowds are usually pretty chill, not high speed get out of my way new yorkers.

And its the home of snowboarding's US Open (which i attend every year)

beachwalker
12-16-2003, 09:56 PM
Jeez, growing up skiing at MT Snow, NY we often laughed at how MORE NY Stratton was.

IMO all areas in the NE are great if you don't spend too much time dwelling on ones expert opinion. When there is snow my front yard used to be the BEST place around. We use to have the Intergallactic championships every year. I was there. Where were you ?

:rolleyes:

beachwalker
12-16-2003, 10:21 PM
Sorry dude, couldn't resist :smash: :laughs: :smash: :laughs: :smash:

Mr. Sandman
12-17-2003, 09:32 AM
I assume k-mart is killington...As soon as you said crossing 300 trails... That is the only thing that bothered me about killington..too many intersections, other then that it was pretty nice mid week. So. VT is all the weekend getaway folks from NY and CT. I try to limit my trips in that direction.
We always do a big multi-family rendezvous on the worst weekend of the year (MLK) at Okemo, it is a lesson in crowd control...actually it was not that bad last year, maybe because the temp was -15 and the wind blowin 40.

Big Vern
12-17-2003, 09:59 AM
Any way you slice it - Killington sucks. Period.

On the other hand, Pico, the mountain right next to K-rock, is superb. However, I'm all about the River, Stowe, Sugarloaf (if it's not too cold), Wildcat, and Jay. Honorable mentions to Loon(mid-week), Saddleback, and Stratton. I pretty much stay away from southern Vermont at all costs.

GaryK2
12-17-2003, 03:31 PM
I hope you remembered to turn the thermostat down this morning up there Likwid. Any snow up there out of this mess? I don't know if Stratton gets as high grades as you give it, good park and good cruisers, but nothing really steep.

I agree Killington is a mad house. They have to spend 90% of their early snowmaking efforts on connecting the mountains. Sunday River doesn't have that problem as they all kinda connect at the bottom.

Don is the "River" "Sunday" or "Mad." Either one will do.

beachwalker
12-17-2003, 06:19 PM
Raining in the south central and snowing from Sugarbush north.

Now we really know where it "Sucks".

I have had fun at every mountain I have every been to in the East.

But then again it has been so long since I have actually gone there when it didn't just snow or it is about to. I stopped riding the East, other than when there is fresh snow, when I finally spent a season out West.

Never see me on hard pack again :)

likwid
12-17-2003, 07:43 PM
We got rain out here again, but its switching over to snow now.

Extended shows snow/snow showers etc. for the next week straight.

Lookin good for us!
We may drop below 100 trails, but the good ones will survive!

Aurora and North peaks got shut down today because of lack of traffic, glad it was that way, went home early.
Didn't really look forward to driving through slushy mess in the dark.
:smash:

devils fiddle
12-17-2003, 08:11 PM
Killington sucks period. I've had to ski here at killington for 60-100+ days a year for 20 winters now and i just can't stand it. its flat, crowded, the tree skiing even sucks. luckily strattons steeps are only a 45 minute drive south. :confused: if you don't like don't come here, the last thing we need is a few more flattys in some hip suvs zoomin all over displaying pure waa waa chusett style on the slopes. if you do happen by this crap hole stop in at the shop under choices restaurant on the access road and ask for the capt.. i'd love to show you the crappy locals side of K-mart hehehe. ;) the rain is changing to snow and we're expecting 6+ inches by morning.

:happy:

likwid
12-17-2003, 08:40 PM
K-mart may be big

but its all about quality
not quantity.

Just remember.

Most dependable snow in New England! :cool:

beachwalker
12-18-2003, 10:00 AM
14 " and snowing at Jay.

68" since last week.

Some rain at the base and all snow at the upper areas yesterday

:)

likwid
12-18-2003, 01:29 PM
We didn't open today.

Bethel is FLOODED

Adroscoggin is about 5 feet over its banks in spots of Bethel.

Rt 2 is shut down in Bethel and Rumsford.

Ended up being paid for like 3 hours and driving time.

GaryK2
12-18-2003, 02:43 PM
Bummer. I take it they didn't open because people couldn't get there and not because of lack of snow?

likwid
12-18-2003, 03:04 PM
Oh there's tons of snow.

They blew incredible amounts of snow when it wasn't raining/was cold enough.

Ambulance service wasn't available and the mtn clinic people couldn't get in from Rumford.

There was severe flooding along the Androscoggin (which is the river next to the river ;) ) which caused all this.

likwid
12-18-2003, 03:33 PM
http://doomgaze.worldeater.org/photo/tiger.jpg

Mr. Sandman
12-18-2003, 04:18 PM
http://www.jaypeakresort.com/page.asp?intNodeID=9738
not bad for pre-Xmas!

http://www.jaypeakresort.com/page.asp?intNodeID=9823

packing bags for a post Xmas trip:happy:

beachwalker
12-18-2003, 06:47 PM
Way to go Sandman. I spent all last season heading up there.

Well worth the trip because their snow is obviously amazing. They get a NE flow over the St. Lawrence Valley that sets up an orographic effect that other areas never get. It snows there more when other places don't snow at all. You know, you've been to the website. They aren't lying. Record December snows ! :)

If it is really windy out of the North head to the Stateside area and any lee spots where there will be loads of snow and no windblown.

Mr. Sandman
12-18-2003, 07:31 PM
Yeah I am really looking fwd to it. I will stop one day in Stowe (I can't pass that place up) to rendezvous with some good friends for a day of skiing and dinner then head to Jay for 4 more days with my family. It should be a nice way to spend new years....

I was in panic mode today...while on the mainland this AM my "Service engine soon" light comes on, I push the on-star button, talk to the gal, they run a remote gmac diagnostic and say the code is a "power train code" and I should bring it by my dealer... Sh*t! I can see me now stuck in 72" of snow at Jay! So I swing be the dealer and they run a sweep on the computer and it is only a slow O2 sensor (one of 6) and I am back on the road in an hour...whew! I thought the guy was going to come out and say..."you need a new transfer case it this is going to take a week!"

Mr. Sandman
12-18-2003, 07:35 PM
Beach...you guys have had a hell of a time with the ferrys recently... I have had some pretty bumpy rides and a lot of our tips have been canceled... but the Nantucket boat has been shut down a quite a bit...and technically speaking winter does not start until Monday! :)

beachwalker
12-18-2003, 08:05 PM
No shiite Sand ! :( Friggin thing has been down a ton in the last two weeks. It's been blowing for sure. After 35 sustained they pretty much shut it down. The fast boat got it's bow hatch stove in over Thanksgiving. Almost went down.

One gets very good at figuring out when it is going to blow hard enough to cancel the boat. At that moment, if I have a res during the projected bad weather, I will cancel and reschedule for when I think it is over (so I get ahead of all the standbys) or send it off a day early. Winter weather strategies on Nantucket.....

Have a great time up at Jay and Merry Christmas. My weather crystal ball says BIG X-mas eve storm with snow ONLY up above Stowe. Jay will get another healthy dose.

I wish I was rich enough to own a helicopter :(

Mr. Sandman
12-19-2003, 01:41 PM
you can land that chopper on my 180' mega-yacht that I keep off your island in august.:D You can't miss it!

I heard about the HS boat that had a problem...they got it back to the island ok...what happened? there was only like 9 people on it. Mech failure?

On MV I have noticed when it hits 40 out of the west they start canceling trips. They also seemed conceren with visability and leave it up to the capt. Some are more gun-ho then others. frankly the boat can take a hell of a lot more then put it thru, it is just the passengers.

(I keep an explorer on the other side year round so I don't have to deal with reservation hassles in the summer or if some trips get canceled and the standby line is insane, then I will just walk on.(or if I just want to run to west marine for the morning) But it is a lot worse out by you. Standing Wasque just looking in your direction when the wind is howling...it looks VERY bumpy out there.

Thanks for the snow forcast...
I have never sseen so many seasick people as this year...

GaryK2
12-19-2003, 01:51 PM
Just made reservations at Stowe for Friday and Saturday night after Christmas.

Front four here we come!!!

beachwalker
12-19-2003, 06:52 PM
Excellent Gary. Rip it up.

DOn't forget to go see Baba at the Matterhorn. He is the Japenese Sushi master. Not to be missed..... Nor is the Shed for popcorn and beers or Gigi's for breakfast & Lunch stuff.

Sandman,

The Fast Ferry hit some big swells 3 miles out of the Harbor over Turkey weekend. Stove in a bow hatch, took on water, engine stalled. Lifejackets on, passengers on cell phones freaking out. Fortunately only 9 on board. Captain felt he almost lost the whole thing :eek:

The North Shore of Nantucket is a sight to behold in 30 + kts. BIG rollers coming over the bars that increase exponentially when the wind goes 30, 35, 40, 45, etc.
With an outgoing and a strong North wind (30+) the swells at the end of the Jetties are 8-12'. Makes for awesome windsurfing. Long groomed wind swell :)

(also packs a little bait on that side but you didn't hear that here. ;)

Have an awesome time any who are heading up. Gary, don't forget the absolutely best time to hit Stowe is first chairs during the holidays. Can get a bit ugly once the gapers arrive. :eek:

Happy Holidays all !

likwid
12-21-2003, 07:39 PM
wacky ass weather
snow showers currently up at the River!

also some new cute chicks working patrol and lifts this year...
im gonna get in trouble :rolleyes: :D

beachwalker
12-23-2003, 06:18 PM
Bummer,

It looks like the Christmas present for the Ski areas is the dreaded "N" word.

I had high hopes last week that you folks would see a dumping.

There is always prayer.............:( :angel: :)

Mr. Sandman
12-23-2003, 06:54 PM
yeah it looks wet for xmas...but I am not leaving till Monday so we'll see

devils fiddle
12-24-2003, 12:28 AM
warm day today. got a foot or so on thursday and a couple inches over the weekend last week. rain tomorrow with snow on xmas. just about everything is open except O.L., Devils fiddle, and Ovation. hope everybody headed north has a good trip next week. it looks like things could be a little fast when it cools down.
:af:

l.i.fish.in.vt
12-24-2003, 09:36 AM
well its raining right now,with thick fog.should get interesting when it freezes.guess its back to trail skiing for a few days.reminds me of fishing, always should have been here yesterday.if anyone is in the Sugarbush / Mad River area let me know i'd love to hook up with ya.

likwid
12-24-2003, 06:23 PM
rain rain all the way back here to MA today.

oi

my jeep hates the warmth!
was running a bit hot on 128 :smash:

but hey!
im home for xmas!
hoorah!

beachwalker
12-26-2003, 07:02 PM
There you go Sandy. 12" in Northern VT.
More weather coming..........:) :cool:

Tagger
12-26-2003, 08:26 PM
Likwid going to Sunday River tomorrow ..should I be asking the ski patrol ...Hey ! Do you fish ?

Van
12-27-2003, 11:14 AM
Looks like its Mt. Snow on Monday.
:happy: :happy:
Conditions seem OK, even thought the temps are up.

Any thoughts???

Jenn
12-27-2003, 11:36 AM
I dont ski but I snowmobile...we are leaving for our annual new years trip to the beatiful N.E. Kingdom on wed. word has it there is plenty of snow and I CANT WAIT.......

MOOOOSE Country:cool:

likwid
12-27-2003, 08:51 PM
Man, missed tagger's message.

Anyone else coming up, send me a PM and i'll let you know where to give a shout/bring coffee ;)

beachwalker
12-27-2003, 09:26 PM
Likwid,

No word from rep. Oh well, but I have to talk with him anyway so I'll try again.
20" N Vt since yesterday. Helped cover the crust. Serious base I guess. Stowe, etc. had 10'+ in December so far...

I don't get a chance until late January. Gotta just keep praying for you guys to get snow :)

likwid
12-28-2003, 07:16 PM
pm'd you just about that...

i be piste atm :af:

beachwalker
12-29-2003, 12:26 AM
Inversion or What ?

36 degrees Mt washington Observatory.

6 degrees Whitefield, NH

The old inversion.......

:cool:

likwid
12-29-2003, 09:29 AM
Hardcore...

I caught that on NOAA weather radio and could only think "uhhh?!"

likwid
12-30-2003, 06:50 PM
Inversion is over with thankfully
Although snowmaking wasn't possible because of it :af:

Back to normal now though!

GaryK2
01-02-2004, 10:05 AM
Stowe was assume. We left Thurday morning after Christmas and got up there to be pleasently surprized that they got about a foot of snow Christmas night.

Same deal with the inversion up there on Sunday. You'd expect it to be colder up top, but not the case.

Everything was open except Hayride I think, which they were making snow on. My daughter and her freind were on a mission to ski all the black diamonds so I was more than happy to show them where Goat, Liftline, Star, Bypass and some nice woods were :) They can be a bit intimidating to a 13 year old. I witnessed an interesting dynamic with my daughter and her friend. My daughter is a better skier than her friend, but her friend has a "just do it" "go for it" "we'll never know if we don't try it" attitude. My daughter is a bit more cautious, but can handle most any terrain, where as her friend is a risk taker (funny her dad is an actuary) but not quite as skilled a skier. It was great to see them push each.

Skied Stratton on Wednesday and it was OK, but nothing compared to Stowe with a foot of new snow. Happy Holidays!!!

Mr. Sandman
01-04-2004, 08:40 PM
Just got back...

Hit stowe for a day then went to Jay for 4...I am spent.
Stowe is always great...But it just always snows at jay...their base is insane. Almost the entire time I was theire it was snowing. Just drive into the front entry and there are 8'-10' embankments. 10' piles against the condo. My kids enjoyed just playing on the hills of snow after the lifst shut down as much as skiing. Just drove back today...it is a hike but worth it. Sat was the only day that was iffy, we got some freezing rain for about 2 hours from 8-10am then it cleared...I slept in reading my fishing books then hit the slopes and it was a little soft but still great. They need some better resturants though...Stowe has them beat on that front for sure. Friday was super.. snowed all day lost of dry power.

Next trip is to Okemo in 2 weeks with our annual load of family...it will be crowed but fun nonetheless. (Looking fwd to the river in feb)

beachwalker
01-04-2004, 09:26 PM
Welcome back, it's hard to wrong up there.

My first visits to Jay were in the early 80's armed with my 75 Rabbit and about $100 in my pocket I would drive from S CT on Fridays searching for fresh snow. On one occasion I reached Stowe only to find it 36 deg and raining. Got back in and drove my first trip North of Stowe. It rained the whole way, even in Troy, and then, on the mountain road, it started to mix and then went completely white out. It had been snowing the entire storm and they had 2' of fresh. Slept in the back of the VW in a heap of blankets for the next three nights. Been going back ever since.

Over the years I have managed to head out West and do a few seasons (WY, OR, WA). Utah was cool to visit but the Pacific NW was, and is IMO, the best. It just plain snows all winter. In 98/99, Mt Hood Meadows had 800+", Mt Baker, WA had 1150 !. After that winter I would always hear..... "We'll ya those places get snow but it is not Utah, Colo, WY snow, etc" and I couldn't help but :laughs: .

It is snow dummies. Wet, dry, white, black. It is snow. Not rain, not dirt. SNOW.

That is why it rips in friggin RI when it snows. I moved back east and recalled not go to the hip spots and to go to the "cool" spots. They snow :)

Stowe is a great place and many times it snows there as much as Jay but the parking doesn't lie now does it Sandman.

Feb. is my plan. But it still all depends on the snow ;)

l.i.fish.in.vt
01-05-2004, 09:00 AM
good to hear you guys got to get in some of the good stuff. more than half of the snow is gone. everything is frozen solid. skied yesterday with the kids after two hour they had enough.the sound of people scrapping the ice sounded like snow guns. my son races on wed, should be intersting, a fast icy slalom. time to brake out the tuning equipment. you get spoiled skiing powder.back to the real thing.

Van
01-05-2004, 10:29 AM
We went last Monday and conditions were only fair at Mt. snow.
Plus with many runs closed the open ones were very crowded.
My brother-in-law went the other day and found man made ICE !!

I'm not going again till they get a mojor dumping.

GaryK2
01-05-2004, 10:44 AM
Sleeping in the VW beachwalker? Sounds like the good ol days to me too! I remember a good freind of mine getting one of those timeshare promo packages where they'd give you a weekend of free skiing and accomodations if you would just agree to spend some time with a sales rep. They were expecting my freind to bring his fiancee or sig other up, but instead they got two ski junkies who had no interest (at the time) in buying into a time share (at Stowe). They put us up in a nice Inn and paid for two days skiing. We had just enough money for gas and ate peanut butter and jelly for lunch, breakfast and dinner. The sales rep spent about two minutes with us and quickly realized they need to target their marketing efforts better.

Good luck to your son I.Fish.VT. My daughetr has her first tri-state race this Sunday. GS at Berkshire East.

Cold weather coming this week:), but no storms in sight :(.

likwid
01-05-2004, 08:22 PM
UGH!@#!!!

Holidays are finally over.

No more waking up at 4:30am except weekends and feb vacation.

Been doing it EVERY DAY for the past 2 weeks and working my a$$ off!

Even though the conditions suck, I know you guys appreciate the commitment some of us make to keep y'all happy at the lifts and riding around. :D

At the River we've been working incredibly hard to defeat the conditions that mother nature has been handing us, and most mornings the conditions have been OK, but by noon you better have sharp edges.

I'll make another conditions update in a few days after this cold spell we have and we make some snow!

likwid
01-05-2004, 08:25 PM
Originally posted by Van
We went last Monday and conditions were only fair at Mt. snow.
Plus with many runs closed the open ones were very crowded.
My brother-in-law went the other day and found man made ICE !!

I'm not going again till they get a mojor dumping.

Not to be elitist about it, but regardless of the price, Stratton is a way better deal than Mt Snow.
They've been going downhill over the years and I'd honestly say ASC is looking to get rid of the mountain.
Its not worth it having to directly compete with Stratton/Intrawest which is right down the road and has superior service.

And of course the River still has the most reliable conditions. ;)

Anyone who's interested in resorts and how things are done and whatnot (Gary), pick up Downhill Slide by Hal Clifford.
Its an interesting look at how the big corporations are destroying mountains and towns for the bottom line.

beachwalker
01-05-2004, 08:38 PM
Yes we do Likwid and I don't mean to be too much of a pow-snob.

I live on the other island and it is a huge commitment to travel so I might as well go to snow. Since I am not a pass holder anywhere this year I am hoping to do a River/NH/Loaf run some midweek jaunt in Feb.

Are you ready to feel your brain freeze ? :eek:

Mr. Sandman
01-05-2004, 08:52 PM
bw is right...the ferry tab alone just went up to $300 round trip alone....IF the damn thing even runs!!:af:

likwid
01-05-2004, 08:59 PM
I got a fuzzy 800 weight polartech sherpa hat that sneers at super low temps! :D

no brain freeze for me!

i'd forgotten how warm my Scarpa T1's are and have been wearing them exclusively at work, even when NOT skiing!

Lemme know when you'll be at the River BW, we'll go have a beer over at Otten's new place down at South Ridge! :cool:

likwid
01-06-2004, 05:22 PM
Tonight
Jan 06 Partly Cloudy / Wind 7° 0 %
Wed
Jan 07 Partly Cloudy / Wind 15°/-5° 0 %
Thu
Jan 08 Partly Cloudy / Wind 5°/-11° 0 %
Fri
Jan 09 Partly Cloudy / Wind 6°/-3° 20 %
Sat
Jan 10 Partly Cloudy / Wind 13°/-8° 10 %
Sun
Jan 11 Few Snow Showers 12°/5° 30 %

:eek:

beachwalker
01-06-2004, 06:04 PM
I repeat:

Ready for your brain to freeze :eek: :eek: :eek:

Dude, I feel for you. It does look like it may be more normal by next week :rolleyes:

Hows the groomers ?:D

likwid
01-06-2004, 06:17 PM
I got top shack at 6 the next couple days, so it shouldn't be too bad, just nobody better fall down or I'll be peessed!@#!!! :eek:

I wouldn't know the conditions currently, been sleeping off the holiday weeks yesterday and today. :cool:

beachwalker
01-06-2004, 06:24 PM
Ah, yes, lifty. Nice job, very chillin'. thank you for the pass.

you folks have no idea what goes in to looking after you :mad:

Let's just call this stage the petrification of the NE. :rolleyes:

Snow, warmer. it's all good :cool:

likwid
01-06-2004, 06:46 PM
I do both patrol and lifts.
I just hang out in a shack when I'm needed and people have been hurt... (I'll pm ya about that one....) :rolleyes:

I have to do trail checks on north peak tomorrow morning before heading up top :rolleyes:

likwid
01-09-2004, 12:31 PM
Its officially too cold to do ANYTHING!@#!!!!!!

-26 here at the house this morning.

Heater core was frozen solid and pumping out no heat so I called in sick. :(

That and no heat in the shack = candidate for pneumonia!

Mr. Sandman
01-09-2004, 12:43 PM
I heard the temp last night on the weather channel...brrrr that is damn cold!!

You need to find a few snow bunnies to keep warm:lm:

likwid
01-09-2004, 12:56 PM
snow bunnies: check

they were off yesterday though :(

i lost the patroller chick i've been spending time with's cell #

she called me about 20min ago in a panic asking if i made it home alright etc. (no heat in jeep etc.)

ahhh people who care :D

GaryK2: an icon for you

http://doomgaze.worldeater.org/k2.jpg

Mr. Sandman
01-09-2004, 12:58 PM
ya killin me likwid....:p

likwid
01-09-2004, 01:02 PM
http://doomgaze.worldeater.org/photo/workstinx.jpg

irony.

GaryK2
01-09-2004, 03:22 PM
Those your boards?

I can't believe I have race coaching duties tonight. We practice Friday night and all weekend. First race for my daughter is Sunday with a GS at good ol Berkshire East in Western Mass. Gonna be a cold one.

Likwid you must be freezin your arse off up there. It wouldn't seem so cold if there was some nice snow to go with the cold weather. By the way, does Likwid mean liquid :)

I.fish.vt...how'd your son do in his race?

beachwalker
01-09-2004, 06:24 PM
ah, the beast.........

likwid
01-09-2004, 07:02 PM
Thems my new babies.

Last years Work Stinx.
The irony overflows and I get strange looks from my boss(es) every time I take em out instead of a snowboard. :D

Voile Hardwires to keep me attached too.
Might switch to BD O2's after i hear more reviews about this years....

And speaking of MA resorts, interesting thread over on telemarktips' forums about the girl who died at Wachusette/how busy it is there.

And yes, its freaking cold out.
TOO freaking cold out.

3D was nice yesterday though, the guns had been running close to 24 hours straight and it was dry and fluffy and no bumps!

loved it
hated the temps

warm the beginning of the week then brutal again for a week ender.

likwid
01-12-2004, 08:21 AM
ahhhh the positive teens

its warm today and tomorrow
then going back straight to subzero on wednesday

to hide in a top shack with heat...

fresh dusting on the ground today.... maybe i'll get out
probably not though.... need to catch up on sleep after this weekend (staff party then heavy drinking after on sat)

beachwalker
01-12-2004, 09:36 AM
6 at Stowe, 10 at Jay

likwid
01-12-2004, 04:04 PM
http://doomgaze.worldeater.org/wasatch.jpg

70 in Utah

GaryK2
01-12-2004, 04:48 PM
nice pic...would love to drop in there.

chris L
01-12-2004, 04:52 PM
ahhhhhh skiing in shorts weather ! snow bunnies !

likwid
01-12-2004, 05:02 PM
that was 70
as in 70 inches of fresh pow

here's another reason to pick up telemarking

http://www.coreyrich.com/website/images/pp_02.jpg

Yes,
She's a professional telemarker and guide.

Thats what 300 days a year on tele's will do for you!
Well maybe...
I'm sorry to say some of you won't look THAT good after that much on tele's :D

beachwalker
01-12-2004, 06:05 PM
Likwid,

Utah might be a long commute in the Jeep.

Pac NW is at the same base depths that they had in 98-99 when they had record snow at Baker. 1150".

70" is awesome ! :)

Where does she wow us with her presence ? Sunday River ? :laughs: :laughs:

likwid
01-12-2004, 06:28 PM
I WISH

She's a backcountry guide in Colorado I know through some friends.

She really is that hot in person too. :cool:

Slingah
01-12-2004, 07:06 PM
babella;)

beachwalker
01-12-2004, 07:18 PM
babelicious......

likwid
01-12-2004, 07:34 PM
K... we can all stop drooling now

wait
nevermind

drool on.... :D :humpty: :humpty: :humpty:

Mr. Sandman
01-13-2004, 06:17 AM
"She's a professional telemarker"....I just hate when these people call me at dinner time :laughs:

likwid, your a better man then me. I wouldn't know what to do with such high performance equipment....besides gawk at it in awe. :shocked: Just answer me one question....did you crop that photo?

likwid
01-13-2004, 08:09 AM
unfortunately no
it wasn't cropped

personally i think she looks better with her usual windburned/goggletanned face :D
to hell with makeup/photoshopping!

beachwalker
01-15-2004, 10:28 AM
Likwid,

DUmping huge here now. 17 degrees. Utah like powder.

I am going to go drop Sankaty (at low tide :eek: )

This is ridiculous cold , eh ? I see you guys are firmly embedded in - 20ish :eek:

How's the heat ?

Mr. Sandman
01-15-2004, 10:31 AM
Originally posted by beachwalker
Likwid,

I am going to go drop Sankaty (at low tide :eek: )

LOL!! that would be a hoot! How are the lift lines this time of day?

likwid
01-16-2004, 09:33 PM
NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE GRAY ME

308 AM EST FRI JAN 16 2004

HIGHER SUMMITS FORECAST FOR NORTHERN NEW HAMPSHIRE AND WESTERN

MAINE...

...LIFE THREATENING CONDITIONS TODAY WITH WIND GUSTS OVER 100 MPH AND

WIND CHILL VALUES COLDER THAN 100 BELOW ZERO AT TIMES...

TODAY...EXTREME WIND AND COLD. SUMMITS FREQUENTLY OBSCURED BY

CLOUDS...SCATTERED SNOW SHOWERS AND BLOWING SNOW. HIGHS AROUND 10

BELOW ZERO. NORTHWEST WINDS 70 TO 100 MPH WITH GUSTS OVER 100 MPH.

WIND CHILL VALUES 80 TO 110 BELOW ZERO THROUGH MIDDAY THEN 50 TO 80

BELOW ZERO MID AND LATE AFTERNOON.

Pulled the plug at noon.

Bossman didn't let us go up any of the upper mountain lifts (we only rode 2, 7, and 11)

Chairs were hitting towers on all the outback lifts EVEN lift 6.

It was ugly
Real ugly.

likwid
01-19-2004, 09:24 PM
Day off... slightly icy... telemarked ALL DAY

my thighs burn something fierce... little windy
but warm in comparison to last week

hug the trail edges and you have a little pow to play with

it was a great day off :D

l.i.fish.in.vt
01-19-2004, 11:01 PM
skiings pretty good over here at Sugarbush, never saw ice over here, only hard packed powder LOL.don't mind the cold if the wind would stop.

likwid
01-20-2004, 08:51 AM
Wildcat isn't in exactly the best spot to hold pow forever ;)

And it just isn't worth it to drive all the way to work!

Off to Attitrash today!

likwid
01-20-2004, 07:47 PM
Oh yeah, skied with Glen Plake on Sunday during my break. :eek:

The man is an animal. :cool:

beachwalker
01-20-2004, 08:25 PM
sweet.

tell more :)

Mr. Sandman
01-20-2004, 09:45 PM
this dude?
http://www.emgathletes.com/Athleteresumes/glen_plake.htm

that must have been a trip....

beachwalker
01-21-2004, 08:02 AM
that dude.

Likwid, does he every get cold without a hat on ?

l.i.fish.in.vt
01-21-2004, 08:26 AM
no brain no pain

beachwalker
01-21-2004, 08:46 AM
hehe :)

GaryK2
01-21-2004, 11:05 AM
I saw he was gonna be up there at the River. He's on tour with Freeskiing magazine.

l.i.fish.in.vt
01-21-2004, 01:16 PM
he was at Bolton valley , a small area here in VT, not to long ago. hope he has learned to ski eastern bumps. a few years ago he was at Mad River, the conditions were rock hard, from what i hear from people who were skiing with him he wasn't on top of them.if you want to see an amazing skier in the worst conditions wacth John Egan ski.

hooked
01-21-2004, 01:58 PM
I lived in Tahoe for the winters of 87/88 and 88/89. The hottest skiers were the guys from the East.

The hottest chicks were from California though...
(with the exception of the one I brought with me)

likwid
01-23-2004, 06:37 PM
Plake is a groomed bump skier really.

Didn't do any bumps with him (only had an hour... so time was short) but put him on the steep and he rails it like its the bunnyslope.

His laugh kills me every time i hear it, and i couldn't tell ya BW, he was wearing a hat with his mohawk down the whole time...

btw... Kasha is origionally from Vermont ;)

likwid
01-23-2004, 06:38 PM
Originally posted by GaryK2
I saw he was gonna be up there at the River. He's on tour with Freeskiing magazine.

Freeskier AND K2 :D

likwid
01-26-2004, 09:31 PM
Alright... We're supposed to get flurries and you guys down there are supposed to get a foot+?!

This just isn't fair... :af:

beachwalker
01-26-2004, 09:40 PM
OH YA ?

This is a tug making a weak effort trying to clear a channel across the sound.

We are froze in down here :(

produce on th drop at the market :(

milk is next :eek:

GaryK2
01-28-2004, 03:17 PM
BW...we can air drop supplies if necessary.

Likwid, the difference between up there and down here is that when a storm is approaching they make a big deal about it down here. Schools shut down half day yesterday based on the weatherman's forecast that it was going to start snowing early Tuesday afternoon. We'll the snow didn't show up till about midnight last night, and in northern CT we only got about 6 inches compared to the 15 they said we'd be getting. But the media had everyone in a frenzie.

Up there it is a way of life and people just deal with it.

Eitherway I may have to slip up to the local area for a powder fix tonight.

Mr. Sandman
01-28-2004, 03:37 PM
I heard about that BW...we have a little more current here and while it is slushy they get thru...How is your heating fuel and Toilet Paper holding out...?

beachwalker
01-28-2004, 06:18 PM
Fuels good, plenty of TP formu bunghole........ :eek:

They got two boats through yesterday and today they are running.
Stores were out of milk yesterday.

Got around 6" here.

Can't wait for April !

likwid
01-29-2004, 06:58 PM
Pray for snow!

Flurries today but WINDY AS HELL AGAIN!

Its either windy or cold lately....

This season is WACK!

I'm going back to Wasatch next season!

likwid
01-30-2004, 07:36 PM
I think i saw 3 flakes fall today, or was that wind blown man made?!

Still praying for snow...

Tried out a set of K2 Seth Pistols tele mounted

omg....

beach?!

;)

beachwalker
01-31-2004, 07:53 AM
Likwid,

Looks like there is good peotential for some white precip next week.

We may bask in the tropics down here while you get the goods...... :)

likwid
02-02-2004, 10:58 AM
Its freaking 30 right now!

I'm out of the house!

wednesday = 6-8"

thank god for snow!

Mr. Sandman
02-02-2004, 11:03 AM
I was at attitash thur pm-sun noon. Friday was friggin windy and cold sat was a little better sunday was very comfortable. Conditions...man made. It was very ski-able but nothing to get excited about. Best runs were early morning...late afternoon was slick. Rarely a wait at any of the lifts.

beachwalker
02-02-2004, 11:52 AM
Booking my flight to Pac NW today. Business trip for 6 days (1 day of business ! :) ).

This is as of last Tuesday at Mt Baker, Wa. 4'+ has fallen since that time and another storm system shows up today.

I need this one pretty bad right now :(

likwid
02-02-2004, 05:18 PM
Awesome!

Take pics, post em.

Demo the Pistols, you'll be sold too....

They hold out here on the crap we have which is sweet!

YOU have to work the ski though, if you let em run, they'll run... kinda like a Dodge Viper. :D

And everyone I know who's ridden them in the deep loves em as much as the old AK Launchers.

K2 came out with the same ski with different graphics and tele inserts... the Hippy Stinx.
but only like 100 pairs were made for this season.

And on today?
Rode my friend's Pistols again on the steeps.
Wow
Holy alksdflaku0324509283 they're nice.
Gorgeous day, nice hardpack for what its worth.
Just a good time
And even managed to wear myself out in time to change the oil in my jeep and put in some new marker light bulbs.

What a day after January's hellish cold. :cool:

likwid
02-05-2004, 06:45 PM
I'd like to mention that we got 6" but I didn't get to ski it.

)@!#$&)@#(*$@)* work. :af:

beachwalker
02-06-2004, 12:33 AM
what ? :(

beachwalker
02-06-2004, 09:35 AM
you had better get out and ski this one likwid.
supposed to give ya something.

we're hoping for rain down here :)

likwid
02-08-2004, 08:22 PM
another 5"

i was out innit as it fell still ;)

8 line checks before patrol had even crawled out of south ridge

INCLUDING Oz

life is good sometimes ;)

beachwalker
02-08-2004, 09:04 PM
ya man

good to here it

yo

likwid
02-09-2004, 11:31 AM
goin back out today
pleasant 30 degrees out...

less layers = good! :D

likwid
02-10-2004, 04:51 PM
35ish...
40 in the sun

hellloooo spring conditions!

ps: if you tele and don't wear knee pads, you're dumb.

i got to spend 45min carefully irrigating and removing a telechick's thermals (yes it was good and bad) because she slammed a knee and didn't realize she tore off some skin and bled thru her thermals which eventually ended up permanently attached to her knee....

life is entertaining sometimes! :smash:

likwid
02-23-2004, 08:06 AM
MA/Maine vaca week is over.
Thank god.

It was busier on the hill than christmas/thanksgiving/opening day were combined!

Weather has turned for the better up here, still getting snow, but the temps are staying high again. Just got 6 inches of fresh over the past 2 days, was fun to play in yesterday.

Just came off 8 days straight working.
Now its time to will myself out the door to go ride. ;)

beachwalker
02-23-2004, 08:11 AM
Enjoy.

Oregon tomorrow. Back on Monday. Think I will have an answer

today

beachwalker
02-23-2004, 08:14 AM
puts it in perspective.

190" base. More than most eastern areas get in a year.

Mr. Sandman
02-23-2004, 09:21 AM
Thanks for the report likwid...headed to SR later this week. Last trip of the year for me, they I take the cover off the boat.:)

likwid
02-23-2004, 10:13 AM
Lemme know what day etc.
I'll let ya know where I'll be!

Mr. Sandman
02-23-2004, 10:19 AM
I'll be skiiing thur-sun(am) with the wife and kids staying at the Jordan Bowl place off of lalapaloza ( we normally at stay at the other end ...figured we would try something different this year)

likwid
02-23-2004, 10:47 AM
Oh sweet, at the Jordan Grand.
That hotel is awesome, food is great at Sliders too.

I'll PM ya where I'll be.

likwid
02-23-2004, 08:59 PM
Just a random note while I'm sitting on here.

Heed the slow zones and responsibility code everyone please.

A woman died a week ago.
If you read about it in the paper then you know more than enough, but I'm sure anyone can find the article.

And buy a helmet.

Its been a long week of hearing about it... :(

Mr. Sandman
03-01-2004, 09:52 AM
I stopped by a couple times fri/sat but must have missed you:(
I keep forgetting how huge that place is. What a great layout.

Conditions were much better then I thought they would be. esp. thur and fri. Sat was a tad crowded but not nearly as bad as other resorts...Sun morning was really nice as well. Had a great week. Legs are tight this am. The only downside was losing my lucky vineyard fishing hat at the tubing park on the first run...that is a wild ride...

Hey, that new restaurant "Phoenix" is great! One of the best meals I think I ever had while skiing anyplace! Not cheap (less then the vineyard restaurants) but not much more then the hotel and 10X better. That was a nice surprise.

Oh well...I am now thinking about taking that cover off the boat pretty soon and putting the skis away for another year.:happy:
Temp should push 50 today....

cheferson
03-01-2004, 09:59 AM
You guys suck! Ive been dying to go riding, but have had no cash funds sence i had to move out of the ex's house.:mad:

GaryK2
03-01-2004, 11:35 AM
What a weekend of spring skiing. I had my corporate race finals at Ascutney Saturday and Sunday. Both days were absolutely beautiful. I managed a 2nd and 3rd in the slalom on Saturday and a 3rd in the GS on Sunday. But bigger than any trophy or shinier than any metal, I was thinking on the way into work this morning how lucky I am. My wife and youngest daughter (who is 6) cheering me on at my race. My daughter looking at me like I am bigger than life as I cross the finish line. At six, there are not too many trails she will not ski. She, like her older sister who is 13, has caught the ski bug that was deliberately passed on to them by their ol man. I had a very simple plan from the first time they were on skis...make it fun and they will come back for more. I even managed to throw in a little competitiveness to make it interesting, and they still come back for more.

If there is one thing I always wanted to pass on to my kids it is my love for skiing. I think I have succeed.

This coming weekend its off to Stratton to coach one of my racers who made J3 regionals. Then a final trip to Loon March 25 - 28 with the family for a run race sponsored by MT Dew.

Life is good!

likwid
03-02-2004, 07:54 PM
Where was I...

Friday I ended up being off :(
Saturday I was at the bottom all day (except during my break during which i fled the lift as fast as possible)

Today?
R**n :mad:

Some sun for a good 2-3 hours
was nice to sit outside and relax

The Phoenix is an awesome place to eat.
I'm "friends" with one of the bartenders there ;)

I'll go talk to the guy who runs the tubing park and see if he found a hat there!

Mr. Sandman
03-02-2004, 09:01 PM
The Phoenix is an awesome place to eat.
I'm "friends" with one of the bartenders there ;)

I'll go talk to the guy who runs the tubing park and see if he found a hat there!

My 11 yo noted that our waitress was "pretty easy on the eyes"...we all LOLed! (She was pretty sweet)

Don't fret about the vineyard hat, they are pretty cheap this time of year....if you find it...keep it...it has some serious mojo.

I am sure our paths will cross again sometime.

likwid
03-03-2004, 07:05 PM
He said he sent a couple hats down to lost and found, I'll snag it and hang it in the truck :D

The "view" at the phoenix is well worth the price for a Spaten. :cool:

The hottubs around the corner were nice last night after hours too (with a couple bar glasses of said Spaten to spice it up a bit) :eek:

beachwalker
03-05-2004, 09:31 AM
Sorry wid,

couldn't resist :p leave in about 4 hrs for providence.

and I thought last week was fun........

might throw some shrimp at a few salmone while I am out :)

put my two piece in the board bag.

Most definetly am buying some AYC.

beachwalker
03-05-2004, 10:31 AM
ok let us try this:

likwid
03-08-2004, 09:22 PM
I'm now the proud father of K2 Seth Pistols mounted with Black Diamond O2's (extra stiff cartridges)

in 189cm

note: im 5'11" 150lbs

muwahahahahha

http://www.k2factoryteam.com/products/images/full_sp.gif

the bases are pink.

Mr. Sandman
03-08-2004, 11:37 PM
150 lbs!?!....I can't remember when I was 150 lbs...maybe 16?

kewl skis though.

GaryK2
03-09-2004, 03:48 PM
I just got the Atomic SX11 supercross ski...fun to play on. Serious side cut. Anyone looking for a used pair of Atomic GS11's 180cm?

I'm waiting for the new Atomic GS ski to come out. Have seen it but have not rode it yet.

Seth Morrison for president!!!

beachwalker
03-15-2004, 07:28 PM
Got up to this place last week. 30-40 degrees, no wind.

they have a 200" base and 600" of snowfall so far this year.

and it is a slightly above average winter.

beachwalker
03-15-2004, 07:30 PM
mt hood, oregon

Mr. Sandman
03-15-2004, 07:33 PM
man... one of these days....

must be awesome. But look at the crowds!:)

beachwalker
03-15-2004, 07:44 PM
it was a blast. got 4 days up there. 3 were nearly identical maybe a little more wind. 1 was cloudy but snow was powdie.

I am back in 4 weeks. they are open until end of April.

Portland crowds and a lot of season pass holders don't hit it midweek unless it is a monster dump. the cool thing is the below pictures runs are lighted and open until 10:00pm weds-sat.
During a monster dump we used to spend the night throwing ourselves off some of these ledges. It is almost impossible to hurt yourself. unless of course you hit a fir tree.

it was a good trip. Picked up a few hundred feet of AYC (2").
It is coming back with a load of Fir in 6 weeks. :)

beachwalker
03-16-2004, 08:50 AM
steep enough for you ?

likwid
03-16-2004, 09:16 AM
no its not ;) WWMD?

SNOWSNOWSNOWSNOWSNOWSNOW

!!!!!!

YES

5-10"!

alkjdflkajsd :D :D :D :eek: :cool: :D :happy:

sweet pics
i'll be out there next winter :)

beachwalker
03-16-2004, 09:19 AM
nice boards Likwid ! glad it finally happened...

I will be heading off this weekend for some. let's keep in touch. maybe I'll give the riv a go

later

pm me a mobile # if you can

RIROCKHOUND
03-16-2004, 09:43 AM
B-Dub...
you suck man... :D Those pics look sweet...
I just got back from NH... snow was so~so at the 'cat... loose granular that was skiied off by 11... frozen hardpack and ice under it...
going up the quad... never saw that much ice on a ski mt before april.....
Took the gf (she's just starting) to black mtn for a day... it looked like Yagoo... no snow ~1/2 open... actually perfect conditions for her; slow snow and well groomed....
Probably done for the year...
Working this weekend... travel to Va for a conference next weekend...
Then get ready to fish.....:happy: :happy:

Mr. Sandman
03-16-2004, 10:37 AM
I'm done for this year but I need to make a trip out west...maybe next season...that looks amazing BW. My kids are now good enough to handle any NE resort even if the conditions are nasty. I would like to take the clan out there for a week of deep stuff. It is so rare we get conditions like that here...even at places like Jay. You have to live there to nab the real good days. Planning trips (no matter how many ) is a hit or miss (mostly miss) deal in NE. I still enjoy it though...a 3-5 hr drive ain't that bad for us. Likwid is there, when it snows he has his skis on already and I have to make all kinds of reservations.:mad:

GaryK2
03-16-2004, 11:35 AM
Nice shots Beach. Absolutely awesome.

We are thinking of making a trip to MT Hood next August to get the daughter ready for next year's race season. We're looking at one of the many race camps there. But by the looks of your pics, I should hold off till March. Man what I would give to be out there right now.

We'll be at Stowe next Thursday, Cannon Friday, Loon Saturday & Sunday. I hope they get plenty of snow out of this storm.

GaryK2
03-16-2004, 11:40 AM
oh, and the last shot....

steep, but not too steep. :)

likwid
03-16-2004, 11:54 AM
Probably moving to Aspen next season...

This season was a bummer (except for the random dumps we got but all in all it was an "eh" season).

Tucks hasn't been as spectacular as it was last year (esp. shelburne ice skating trail)

The 189's are solely for big powder days, definitely a quiver ski.

I got the 169's but there's no point in them since I have the Public Enemies. Prolly trade em for 179's. Also gonna move my 165 Work Stinx probably for bindings for the pistol 179's.

Can smell the snow coming. ;)

and PM sent bw

beachwalker
03-16-2004, 01:15 PM
Gary,

there are bunch of good camps in the summer up there over at Timberline on the Palmer snowfield.

The entire season is a planning game out there. It all comes down to snow and freezing air levels. Mt Hood Meadows (pictured) base is at 5,200 ft and the top is 7,500. Then there is another 1,500 of vert to climb if you dare. Upper areas are frequently closed due to snow and wind. After they dig out is when you want to be there. It can rain in january but it isn't likely.
They get more snow between now and May than the east sees in an entire season.

I am up somewhere this weekend. work is smooth and my legs are all jazzed up now that I got a couple of days in. Still, not having rode much this winter I will have a hard time keeping up with someone like Likwid who's been there all year. :)

Aspen is big moolah.......:(

beachwalker
03-16-2004, 01:24 PM
and that extra 1,500 ft is leaving out the next 2,000 which goes to the top. That is off limits without full climbing gear and the NE face (in the photo) is MAJOR avalanche danger. If you look at the mountain photo I posted follow the left ridge up to the end of the spine. That is about 9,200 ft and the bowl that you drop into is appropriately named Super Bowl. It is awesome. Anything above that and you had better make sure the life insurance policy is current.

Scott Schmidt rappelled into that massive hourglass a few years back and made it. Barely...........

GaryK2
03-16-2004, 02:38 PM
BW - Thanks for the info. I believe we were looking at a camp that trains on Timberline. The camp is being offered through our Tri-State (CT, RI, MA) USSA race program.

Do ya mind if I use your Mt Hood pic as a sreen saver? That is truley the closest thing to heaven (at least in the lower 48).

Lik, sounds like you got a great choice of boards to select from. Those wide glides like the pow, but I can't imagine you'll get a chance to really put them to the test this year up at the river.
If you head west, you gonna be able to fish for stripas from out there? Maybe we'll have to do a fishing fling in the summer to get you back here, and then a ski fling in the winter that you will host out there. :)

I admire your all's passion for skiing.

Snow report: I can feel it, but not much happening here in Mid-Ct yet.

likwid
03-16-2004, 03:25 PM
snow report?

my left index finger hurts
which means snow
(i smashed it between the climbing bails and the heel lever on my O2's with the xtra stiff cartridges about 2mo's ago... hasn't been right since)

And Aspen? Who cares about stripers when there's many feet of fresh to ride during the season. :D

I'm a seasonal bum, I'll head to Aspen in November for the winter and take advantage of the employee meat market, i mean housing. Or possibly go live with a buddy just outside of Aspen (big inherited house... plenty of room to host you people who smell like fish) ;)

But I'll migrate back, just like the stripers do every year. :)

As far as the pistols are concerned, I break em out for first runs on the fresh courdoroy (the 179's or 169's) then switch to the Public Enemies when stuff starts getting chopped up hard.
I'm sure the Enemies will spend alot of time by my bed next year. ;)

If I didn't have the Enemies I'd probably ski the Pistol 169's on everything, they're huge, but incredibly stable and handle ice spots just fine.

But we all know there's no ice.
Its just HARD PACKED GRANULAR :laughs:

beachwalker
03-16-2004, 03:32 PM
No problemo there Gary. No copywrite, no worries :)

To be specific concerning that photo:

The lower canyons are named Heather Canyon (to the left) and Clark Canyon (to the right).

I took the photo about a hundred yards from the bottom of heather chair which gets you out. There are so many bowls up there it makes one head spin and when you get lower down you can drop into chutes through a fir forest that will be bottomless powder after a good dump. It just keeps sluffing off the trees and wind grooming itself all winter.

beachwalker
03-16-2004, 03:37 PM
The above photo is in lower Heather Canyon.

The next photo is the same chute looking back up. The snow is bottomless in there. Easily 15 feet underneath and not a piece of ice.

But once again it can warm up out there and force you out of the trees and onto groomers and into the Canyons (big bummer, eh ?). That is what it was when I was there. 1 day of this and then a warming trend and 3 days of the canyons and groomers. It wasn't so bad :)

GaryK2
03-17-2004, 10:39 AM
BW thanks alot, I just made a mess all over my key board looking at those.

I'm a bit upset that this storm was once again a disappointment. Got maybe three inches in Northern CT.

Lik....please give us a good snow report from the North Country!

likwid
03-21-2004, 08:14 PM
3" last night.

was AWESOME riding today :D

lovin it...

about 5 weeks left or so :)

beachwalker
03-21-2004, 09:05 PM
Sweet

just got back from Stowe. 12" since Thursday. 6" today.

found some nice old wood while up.

here comes spring

likwid
03-22-2004, 03:34 PM
not so awesome today

spring?
what?
17 degrees outside and windy.

GaryK2
03-23-2004, 01:28 PM
Heading to Stowe tomorrow night to ski Thursday, then New Hampshire (Cannon Friday, Loon Saturdy & Sunday). Maybe take a poke around Pinkam Notch on Sunday????

Maine-beacher
03-24-2004, 05:50 PM
grew up in the bethel area great skiing lived in gilead beautiful country:D

beachwalker
03-24-2004, 07:39 PM
Just gonna mis you Gary. Head up again tomorrow for some work on Friday and then Sat/Sun on the snow. maybe Friday afternoon

likwid
03-30-2004, 10:16 AM
Skied Bretton Woods on a comp ticket yesterday, I'm thinking if I stay east coast next season im buying a midweek pass there.

Just was too much fun.
Trees are great, views are great (not as good as Wildcat but thats ok) and midweek the place is a ghost town.

I just can't justify $52 while I'm working at another resort.
Time to meander over to Attitrash. :(

Mt Washington from Bretton Woods - West Mountain. (Starr King actually)

http://doomgaze.worldeater.org/photo/mtww1.jpg

And now a trail review of Bretton Woods:

Rosebrook:
awesome huge cruisers...
Some tight east coast style trails (which would equate to Sunday Bigger blues)
Mach G speeds possible even in this mush
Some trails made me go "that was a black? nawww... but ok!"

Rosebrook Canyon:
Broke out the rock skis and went to work.
Had to hike down a stupidly steep incline on McIntyre's Run (jesus christ... TREES in the middle? i'd be scared to ski that early season/late season when there's still snow)
Played stop and chase in the woods and found cover here and there... lots of dirt gapping necessary and some hiking

West Mountain:
Damn.
I spent nearly 2 1/2 hours here on 3 trails and some woods hopping with a grin.
I'd love to play here if we get a dumping instead of r**n this week.
Little Tuckerman lets you play superstar in the mush if you just point them from the top of the lift (and let the 3 people ridng the lift oooh and aaah)
Joseph's Run... let me say... if you wanna practice your hop turns?
Play right here.
Black listed as a blue.
I wish Wild West was open, I was eyeballing it from the lift and from Jacob's Ladder... crazy ass glade that reminds me of west coast stuff.
Jacob's Ladder... blue with booters EVERYWHERE
This trail is fun and reasonably tight... more of a blue/green, but with the width, its a blue.

More later!

beachwalker
03-30-2004, 11:49 AM
Awesome report !

I spent this past weekend (2 in a row) at Stowe and it was sweet.

You know you got it. 50 degrees, no wind and sunny ! :cool:

I will be up again and will certainly try and hook up.

later

GaryK2
03-30-2004, 12:25 PM
As I posted we did Stowe Thursday. It rained in the afternoon but was sunny up till about 11:00 a.m. Great spring skiing in the a.m. Only managed to run National, Goat and Liftline one time each as I was with a group who wanted to ride the gondola. I kept looking up at the top on Mansfield thinking about making the hike up, but when it started to rain at around noon I scrapped those plans.

On Thursday after Stowe we drove to Lincoln, NH and stayed at Indian Head resort. Skied Cannon on Friday and it was great. Beautiful day, great spring conditions. It's getting a bit skinny there this time of year. Saturday brought us to Loon where my wife, me and the kids (as well as half the ski team I coach) participated in the Mountain Dew Vertical Challenge. Not a very competitive race, but a good lite/fun way to end the season for the race team kids.

This is about the 8th year we've done this trip. To think that my 13 year old first made this trip with me 8 years ago at the age of 5. And now my 7 year old is following down the same trail, a trail that was groomed by her older sister. Time flys when you're having fun! This year, the ol man of the mountain has fallen from his perch. A reminder that nothing in life, even something as solid as a rock, is permanent, and that we should cherish all we are fortunate to have... especially the freedom of catching some g- forces down the steeps.

Driving home on route 118 over to I-91 on Sunday a tear came to my eye (as it does every season on this exact route home) as I realize another season has come to an end....but the tradition will continue.

Lik & BW...I hope you guys enjoy the rest of the season. I have enjoyed this thread, and I hope everyone is at it again next season.

Now its time to start thinking fishing.

likwid
04-08-2004, 06:03 PM
So i kicked the fat lady in the head and it dumped A FOOT OF POW on Bretton Woods Mon/Tues morning. :eek: :eek: :eek:

Yes, I was there for it and poached EVERYTHING. :D

6" coreshot in one of my Hippy Stinx, off to K2 for a new pair through various ways and means ;)

So freaking worth it.

I'd be happy with my season being over now.

I'm done at the River on Sunday, probably headed back to MA on Tuesday or Wednesday and time to clean fishing gear after a few end of season runs and beers with some friends on Monday.

Those of you who came up to the River this winter or any ASC resort, thanks for helping pay my paycheck, the real ski bums up here do appreciate you all. :)

likwid
04-13-2004, 07:06 AM
Who would have thought my last day riding of the season would turn out to be the 2nd best day of the season?

Why?

We hiked the Heat.

Josh (one of the Perfect Turn instructors) and I chilling in the chair after hiking over from the top of Barker.

http://doomgaze.worldeater.org/photo/jtheat.jpg

Josh ripping up that fresh perfect Heat corn.

http://doomgaze.worldeater.org/photo/jheat.jpg

Bump and burn, me killin it

http://doomgaze.worldeater.org/photo/theat.jpg

Tools of the trade back up top.

http://doomgaze.worldeater.org/photo/bsheat.jpg

What a great way to REALLY end the season. :D