View Full Version : Hope Port East Greenwich

Saltheart
05-09-2001, 04:47 PM
Well I just signed up for a mooring in East Greenwich for this season. It'll be season 19 for me and Narya , my sailboat. Last two winters I have said I was going to sell it but could never bring myself to put a sign on it. Hard to part with a boat you've sailed for almost 20 years. Anyway , we'll have at least one more season together. I don't do the New Haven to Nantucket stuff anymore (those were the days) but its still fun to cruise Narragansett Bay.

Duh... that should say Home Port East Greenwich :)

Clammer
05-09-2001, 05:09 PM
Enjoy Saltheart, but isn't it tough to plug the rock piles with a keel and sails up//

JohnR
05-09-2001, 09:20 PM
Saltheart,

Let me know if you need a crew dog for a day. I used to run 470s and lasers, typhoons and barnegats for sport. When I wasn't cartwheeling Hobies, I was practicing the fine art of going nowhere fast...

Clammer,
Most blowboats can't outpace trolling speeds for bass :P

Got Stripers
05-09-2001, 09:41 PM
I'm an old Sailing Fool myself. In fact I spent most of my youth racing an International 110 out of Scituate every Sat/Sun. Come summer I spent every free minute, winds permitting, out on the trappesse solo between Scituate-Cohasset-Plymouth. Taught sailing one summer at the Scituate Town Pier and another heading up the Lincoln Sailing Club program up at the 3A rotary in Hingham.

I know what you are talking about, it's hard to give it up. I even bought a 2nd 110 some 20 years ago and refurbished it and had a full summer of fun in it, until the striper bug bit me again. Times have changed and I'm a fishing fool these days, but there are times I wish I were out on the trappesse again...sailing in the waining sunlight as the spray wets my face.

[img="http://www.rgsiroisco.com/fisherman.gif"]
Tight lines.

JohnR
05-09-2001, 09:51 PM
Those skinny 110's were a blast. I didn't have much time in them but there were a trip - Wasn't there a 210 model too??

Well, maybe next year I'll find a low money 2 man laser (jibbed) or what I really want, a 470, you know, for when the tides suck... Something about having a blowboat on plane with the transom windows open venting all the water that came in over the rail from running upwind on a mission from God... (Darn it!! This is a FISHING SITE, not an add for "Modern PuffBoats" >( ;D ???

Saltheart
05-10-2001, 08:01 AM
If you think its hard to fish off a sail boat , try working a Bull Rake!! :) I have a full size Bull Rake with 80 feet of stale on board. Try pulling up a Bull Rake full of clams and conchs and rocks etc with standing rigging everywhere. Talk about the hard way to do things!! :)

We do fish off the boat. Best bet is trolling off the back but sometimes we stop near some breaking fish and cast into them. I get almost all Bluefish at the speed that is comfortable for tolling on the sailboat. usually lots of fish off Warwick and Barrington. Sometimes just off the northeast point of Prudence or around the Warren River.

Biggest problem with the boat the last few seasons has been lack of use. I just hate spending almost $2K and then use it only 6 times. There was a time when 10 day cruises to Nantucket and MV or Cuttyhunk and Falmouth were common for me. Usually 4 long trips per season , sometimes more. Best spot was going to Block Island and staying in the salt pond for a week plus the weekends. I've seen sharks and seals and huge Mola and about 100 whales in my time on the boat. I've seen electronics take over navigation. Nothing like sailing from Ct to Newport in the fog , dead reconning the whole way. Think about going thru The Race with your eyes closed. That's what its like on the dark and foggy nights. These days you just hit a button and some satellite keeps track of things for you. It was probably safer when we had no electronics and had to pay attention every minute while out there. Scary how fast the fog can close in on you. Where you are going is important but knowing where you ARE is most important when that grey curtain comes down.

You are welcome to come and crew for me anytime John. If there's no wind , we'll troll around. If worse comes to worse we could get stuck just sitting on the mooring with a cold one in our hands. That would be tough but I'm sure we could handle it. :)