View Full Version : last year and this year

Christian
12-12-2003, 08:20 AM
ok the seasons over. when was the fishing better, this year, or last? for BASS and BLUES.

fishweewee
12-12-2003, 08:40 AM
I guess it depends where you where, Christian.

All else equal:

On the Cape, it was much better last year.

In Rhode Island, it was awesome this year and last year.

scarecrow
12-12-2003, 09:00 AM
Your right fww

The capes fall run wasnt as strong this year as last years.
I had a couple days at race point where the baitfish was so thick you could catch them with your hands.

October 2nd I got on the beach around 2 oclock and caught an all out blitz till about 7 that night.

All the fish were no more than 10 feet out.
I caught 2 bass over 30 pounds and allot more under thirty but saw guys hauling low 40s out of this blitz. I would wait for the blues to pass by then blind cast to stripers picking up what the blues left. It was a great day, Im young compared to other surfcasters, but I cant tell you the joy of seeing this eight year old kid a few guys down from me hook then land a striper in the high 30s.
Thats about as hot as it got for me.

As for rhode island lets If you were down there and didnt catch a fish you should kill yourself.:happy:

scarecrow
12-12-2003, 09:01 AM
Can you move this to christians post. about better or worse.
Sorry I thought i was still there

Saltheart
12-12-2003, 09:35 AM
Better spring but worse fall than last year

FishermanTim
12-12-2003, 10:36 AM
I agree with Saltheart, this year's spring fishing was a blast, but the fall was a bust. If the forecast for a mild winter (overall) holds true, we may have another year like last. In any case, I'm planning ahead for plenty of fishing.

Notaro
12-12-2003, 10:54 AM
there were plenty of basses in rockport harbor when the herring was around. This year has been a little slow for me because the bluefish are the only species on my hook so far. Pollock in rockport water...not my ideal type of bait. I hope that it gets better next year.

Mr. Sandman
12-12-2003, 11:07 AM
Saltheart hit it on the nose....Better spring (one of the better Junes I can remember) but the fall run esp from the surf sucked.

I voted about the same overall.

hooked
12-12-2003, 12:07 PM
You forgot the one category that can get me through the next 5 months.

Next year will be much better.

fishaholic18
12-12-2003, 12:32 PM
I caught bigger bass this year than last, but this fall was a bust for me in Rhody.

jugstah
12-12-2003, 12:37 PM
This year sucked overall, but I had more action landing stripers in the first half of this year than I did the 2nd half... but last year was better overall, both beginning and ending.

I'm counting on better days for the next season

redlite
12-12-2003, 01:37 PM
I usually focus most of my hard fishing for big fish during the comm. season and fall. This spring was allright. I fished new turf and had a lot of small keepers, on the south shore of MA, but no real big fish.
This fall however was incredible down on my stomping grounds. I had numerous nights where i had over 20 fish over 30 pounds. It was like that almost every night for about 3 1/2 weeks. A few times it was stupid just throwing back big fish like they were schoolies. Took a lot of walking to find them, but when we did, they were just absolutely piled up with every cast. Would talk to people and they were saying how bad it was, but they weren't keeping an open mind and weren't hunting them much. Then it was just done (or I was from the weather) like someone flipped a switch. Didn't seem to be much of a migration where you would have pods of fish come by.
As for Rhody, I made a few trips down there this fall and it was an overall disappointment. Had some fun times fishin with a couple of the guys from here down there, but it always seemed that the bad weather and wind were hiding in the back of my truck and would jump out everytime we got down there.

I will end saying that overall the season as a whole was a disappointment when I step back and look at this year and what I expected it to be. There was soooooo much bait everywhere, but the fish just didn't seem to be coming into the beaches as years past.
But there is always next year..........

hq2
12-12-2003, 02:08 PM
I thought the spring runs were about even, although this year's
was a bit late. Last year's fall run was clearly better; I think the
late summer kind of messed up the timing, and they sort of
waited and then went all at once.

tlapinski
12-12-2003, 03:33 PM
last year was way better for bigger fish and more fish. this held true for the CT river spring run, the RI season, and the few cape trips i took. now i am not complaining as this was a good year overall. the sheer # of bass in the 20 - 30 # class makes the future look very bright. i just hope that some of them live to be 50's....... :(

Slingah
12-12-2003, 05:46 PM
this year bigger fish all around spring and fall
summer stunk per usual
less number of fish in the fall but lots o fun:D
best year ever for me:D

leptar
12-12-2003, 06:11 PM
This year from shore... last year from boat... both were awsome!

denis
12-12-2003, 07:53 PM
Bigger fish this year but a lot less fish than last year and the fish were not as spread out as last year.

TheRattBoy
12-12-2003, 08:15 PM
Got my biggest bass in the spring(cape) and biggest ever blues in the fall (rhody).But if I could go back, i'd do the 2001 season over again (cape), that was INCREDIBLE through the entire season:D johnny "the Ratt Boy"

RickBomba
12-12-2003, 08:49 PM
Terrible season for me this year...Last year i hit them hard all year long.
Mikey did well this year, though.
Later,
Rick