View Full Version : Tsunami or Tica rods....Any Opinion???

The Dad Fisherman
12-12-2003, 04:26 PM
Just spending some quiet time searching E-Bay and looking for rods. Anybody have any opinions on these manufacturers. I was looking at the Lamiglas but I'm a little short on funds....Any thoughts

tlapinski
12-12-2003, 04:36 PM
you get exactly wht you pay for with a rod. if you spend a little more, you get a little more. tica's can hold there own with any other comporably priced rod. they are not as good as a lami, but lami doesn't make any $40 surf rods. they are a bit on the stiff side, but a good starter set up.

Nebe
12-12-2003, 04:43 PM
This season I used a 8 ft one piece tica medium action graphite almost all the time.. Caught bass from small to large, 2 large at once, and many rocks...
I bought a Ron arra xra-1083 and snapped it in the first outing on a medium sized bass.

Maybe I got a bum stick, I dunno, but the Tica keeps going and going.....

I'd get the tica:D

leptar
12-12-2003, 04:51 PM
My buddy has the 10' Tsunami heavy spinning rod.. He bought it just cause it was tagged $50.00 and wanted a rod he could beatup on.. We were going to get a pair of custom Lamiglass but not after seeing what that rod could handle/do.. He pulled 2 45+# bass out of the beaches in Newport.. pulled 10+ 20-35# fish out of the rocks.. Blues.. omg upto 18# monsters all day long ooh and to top it off he slammed the tip on his door it made a mark about 8" from the tip the day he bought it. No creaking.. no loose reel seats.. and the 2 pc section stays tight. and fished with only 65# PP and 30# Hybrid.

Another friend bought the Tica 7 or 8' its kinda like the tsunami although not as pretty the eye's were not under wrapped, or appeared not to be as flexing the rod made the rod emit creaking noises.

guess it's a matter of preference.. both companies offer crappy cheap reels but their rods can do as advertised.

I owed the Tica 7000SH reel... but they for got to add the IT. $27.99 to the crapper.

I still own a Tsunami5000 reel.. i can get that reel on the reel seat sideways.. lol it flexes so much and requires an oiling after each rinse. total waste of 30 bucks.. but it has not broken yet... i've tried everything... hooked and landed a 29# bass with 65#pp,,, hooked 2 8# tautog with 65#PP.. lol..

OOP's Sorry Dad fisherman didn't mean to ramble there.. just a word of caution when buying Tsunami and Tica rods on ebay.. ALOT i mean ALOT of seconds are sold on ebay.. read feedbacks.. i dont think it's much of a bargin anyways 60+15+insurance.. and it's the same price give or take a few bucks from your local tackle shop.. Shop around many of many tackle stores have both in stock.. it's nice to see before buying tooo.. :)

scoobe
12-12-2003, 05:14 PM
Dad,

I've been scoping out the Tica and Tsunami rods on ebay myself. If I snag one I'll let you know how they are.

The Dad Fisherman
12-12-2003, 05:14 PM
I usually just use E-Bay as a reference for pricing. Unless I can save %40 or more I would prefer to buy from someone I can physically get my hands on if it turns out to be crap.

I was looking at The rods that Saltheart makes and i gotta say that was some beautiful work. i would love to hook up into one of those. Hmmm maybe if I sweet talk the wife.....

I was looking at the Tica so I could get used to a rod that big and then maybe invest in something nicer and turn the Tica into a Guest Rod..

Thanx for the quick replies

Moses
12-12-2003, 05:32 PM
This season I used a 7' & 9' TICA the majority of the time. I loved the feel of them and had no problems bringing in blues & stripers up to 30lbs. These were used in a variety of places from the Canal, to beach/surf to rivers. For the $$, I think they are a great deal. Check out www.digitaldagger.com for a great variety.

scoobe
12-12-2003, 05:59 PM
Originally posted by The Dad Fisherman
I would prefer to buy from someone I can physically get my hands on if it turns out to be crap.

LOL you ever see the Simpsons episode where Bart makes the Angry Dad cartoons on the net about Homer? :af:

CAL
12-13-2003, 12:37 AM
I was thinking of these two rods too, plus the Lami surfking.
Anyone know which I should get for throwing 1.5 oz needles up to 3.25 oz dannys and pikies?

scoobe
12-13-2003, 04:22 AM
The guys that can afford the Lami blanks will tell you to grab those. Guys like me... well I have used a retail 40-50 dollar Daiwa rod this past season. I liked it so much I purchased the same online for only about 20 something. Many here would consider it an el cheapo rod, but it has always served me well. This winter I plan on buying a Tica or Tsunami rod and seeing how much better a fishing experience it will be. I still can't afford the Lami experience, though. I can't wait for spring to find out if the more expensive rod really is that much better.

Jonny Bolt
12-13-2003, 09:31 AM
I want a Cape Fear.

ragfly
12-13-2003, 09:55 AM
You can't beat the price for the tica or tsunami rods. I have both and love them. Fishing the ledges of Maine is about as harsh environment you can get while surf fishing. I also own lami and ben doerr rods. I recommend the tica and tsunami rods for the guy fishing on a budget like me. The money I have left over I buy a better quality reel.

Mr. Sandman
12-13-2003, 11:05 AM
My tsunami story,

When the tsunami rep came into our local shop this Sept. I glanced at the rods and new lures he had. The lures looked really great (lifelike rubber and just the right size for finiky bonito) and I picked up a handful. The rods looked and felt nice and I asked the price and thought FOR THE MONEY they seemed pretty damn nice! At that time I was really looking for an 8' light surf rod to use from my boat for casting eels for big bass. He had something that was a little light for my needs but pretty close to what I wanted and I was desperate. I Then I noticed it was a two piece rod and said forgetaboutit, I hate two piece rods they never work right and they do break more often then single piece rods. I know a lot of guys have them and say they are fine...but my experience with them shows otherwise. Then the guy says...they have an OVER_THE_COUNTER_GUARANTEE on breakage FOR ANY REASON. He said "if you snap this off in the door on the way out of this shop, we would give you a new rod on the spot." I said REALLY? " No questions asked, you get a new rod." So I plopped down my 49 bucks (I think it was that, it might have been more...I remember is was really cheap) and walked away with the rod. Which comes in a nice silky soft cloth bag as well.

Made about 10 trips with it and it was working just GREAT! It was still a tad light and but it did the job. I landed dozens of big bass with it and a few chopper blues. It became my go-to rod, the rod I preferred to fish with. I had a Penn 4500 liveliner with 50# braid. It was a pleasure to case eels or lures and had perfect action, just a little light for the real big fish. I was really putting the boots to this rod I decided this was the length and type of rod I wanted and ordered a 2 more custom rods to be made just like this but single piece, sic guides and med-heavy lami blank but they would not be done in time for this season and. I kept using it every trip.

On one family surf-trip, the tsunami rod was in the truck and my 10 year old asked if he could use it. This was the perfect rod for his size and with the braid he was out casting some "big guys" next to him. He landed a nice size blue with it and he just loved it.

OK, now late October on one of my night trips I am in one of my island coves in the boat, working the rocks with eels and I had landed 3 bass in the 25-30# range with the rod. Then during a cast with an eel SNAP!! The rod had a NASTY splintered break at the joint. This was during a cast. I was bummed but I felt I got my $ out of it already as I really enjoyed fishing with it. I brought back the broken stick to my B&T shop and he handed me a new one in the case. I plan to let my kids use it next year in the surf, and I will use the 2 customs.

I tell you this is a good rod and well worth the money. I really pushed the limits with this rod, using it from a boat with 50#PP and wrestling big bass with it. The rods is rated for 20#. The bend a big fish puts on it is extreme when fishing from a boat and it is a blast to fish with. I know guys like fiberglass rods when fishing from a boat for that reason...I love the feel and stiffness of graphite. Under normal fishing conditions from the surf I think it would be fine. The unconditional breakage guarantee makes it more then worth the money. I broke a similar 7' St Croix that I used just for bones and albies a couple years ago that was 2 years old and cost 200+ bucks and the B&T says you have to deal with the factory…they basically said...forgetaboutit. I still love St. Croix (I have two of them) but tsunamis are a really great deal for the money IMO. I would buy several and keep them around. If you have the $ then get a custom rod made, they are ideal but if $ is an issue, then take a look at the tsunamis.

Blitzseeker
12-13-2003, 11:53 AM
Don't know about the Tsunami, but I have a Tica.

For the money, you won't find a better rod. Obviously it's not the same as a Lami or a custom, but it's also a third the price.

I've never regretted buying it, it works real well.

STEVE IN MASS
12-13-2003, 12:15 PM
I have a 10' Tica medium action/heavy, and I love it. I originally bought it with the thought of it replacing my chunking rod.

While it does that very well, I started using it for plugs and jigs as well.......now, I use it almost exclusively for that. I've used it in the surf for plugs, and at the Canal for jigs. It's rated 2-8 oz. While the 8oz I think is pushing it a bit (I've done 6 and two chunks with it, but more of a "lob" cast), I find it loads best between 3 and 5 oz.....at least for jigs in the canal.....but I've thrown, for instance, a 2 oz popper and a Hab's Needle a mile with it as well. It took a 13+ lb blue out of the canal at mid-current on a moon tide, after it dove deep, so I'd say it can lift the fish no problem........;)

Only complaints I've heard about them is some guys have had to replace the tip guide.....not sure why, cause mine has been fine....and that's short change ($3-$4) if you need to it.

I got it at M&D's for about $63 with tax, after the SB.com discount....:)

When I bought it, I also had the Tsunami in my hands at the shop, and while I liked it, (at least the feel of it in the shop), Mike only had an 11' er at the time, and I didn't want one that long.

So, just my $0.02.........

Backbeach Jake
12-13-2003, 01:06 PM
Bought a 9 foot Tica spinner 1/2-3 oz on E-bay and love it . Weighs nothing and perform really well. So I bought a 10 foot 3-8oz for the 704z and was really impressed. Loaded with 65#PP it will cast into backing throwing 3 or 4 oz Kastmaster. Now I fish with a couple of savages who use Tsunamis, they swear by their rods as well. They fish convetch and are getting some impressive yardage as well. I realize that distance isn't everything on the beach, but somedays it really helps. For the bucks and even a few more , they're damn nice rods. Can't complain about the guarentee either.

BEETLE
12-13-2003, 02:43 PM
Bought a 9 and 10 ft. tsunami for me, and a 9 ft tica for my son this spring. Threw eels, as well as 2-3 oz. hardware, with the Tsunami's the few weeks I was able to fish this year. No problems, handled fish well.

As far as the Tica, I only "borrowed it" a few times to try out throwing plugs, not christened with fish yet.

The looks of the Tsunami grabbed my attention, and they felt like a decent rod for short cash.
Everyone was talkin up the Tica's last year, and they also felt like a decent rod for the money, so I grabbed one for the boy.

dondkim
12-14-2003, 06:19 PM
No one mentioned couple of things I wasn't happy with my 9' tica two pc con rod. which I bought at the show this spring.

1. Cork handle is very short compared to either Ben Doerr or Ron Arra's.

2. The reel seat is down locking and my Ben Doerr 8 1/2' has about 6" higher compared to my 9' Tica rod.

3. There are only 5 guides. My 8 1/5' Ben Doerr has 5 guides and 10' Ben Doerr has 8 guides.

4. The last guide is lot bigger for ordinary conventional rod and it almost looks like spinning rod guide.

:af: :af: :af:

The Dad Fisherman
12-15-2003, 09:39 AM
Originally posted by scoobe
LOL you ever see the Simpsons episode where Bart makes the Angry Dad cartoons on the net about Homer? :af:

Oh Yeah Classic....I've probably seen every episode a dozen times.

Thanks for all of the info guys. Some great stuff here on them. I think I'm going to try one of them out this summer. Like I said I'll probably roll it into a guest rod for the following year.

I have a hard time finding people to fish with so If I have the spare gear it makes it easier

bassmaster
12-15-2003, 09:13 PM
Originally posted by Eben

I bought a Ron arra xra-1083 and snapped it in the first outing on a medium sized bass.

Maybe I got a bum stick, I dunno, but the Tica keeps going and going.....

I'd get the tica:D
na i snapped a grand total of 8 in 2 years
Buy a rainshadow 1088 and a 1087 is good for the light stuff and wont snap on You.
better yet tell Your self Your going to Buy a 1083 to snap and Buy 2 1088 and 1087 and you will still be on top of the game
that 1088 turns bass, big ones

leptar
12-21-2003, 12:58 AM
Originally posted by Mr. Sandman
Then the guy says...they have an OVER_THE_COUNTER_GUARANTEE on breakage FOR ANY REASON. He said "if you snap this off in the door on the way out of this shop, we would give you a new rod on the spot." I said REALLY? " No questions asked, you get a new rod." So I plopped down my 49 bucks (I think it was that, it might have been more...I remember is was really cheap) and walked away with the rod. Which comes in a nice silky soft cloth bag as well.

What shop was this at?

My buddy bought his at this parts and service place here in Fall River i wont mention the name.. the owner said alot.. but when something happened it was a different story altogether... The hook holder broke and sliced my buddies hand.. not serious.. but it's a nice feature to have on a rod... We went back to that parts and service place and talked with the older gentleman.. he looked at us like we were stupid.. Why do you want that...?? No-one uses it anyways... You should have been there to see the freaking hack job the older gent was doing.. he ripped a hook holder off another rod that someone had busted and tried to put it on.. after 15 minutes he got it..my friend fliped it and it fell off...again he looked at us like it's not that important.. Then the owner shows up, looks and says ok we can send it out for repair will take a few weeks... .. Needless to say i wrapped it with tape.

I'm looking to buy a conventional Tsunami rod.. I dont want to blow alot of money on a custom as i am having a custom spinning rod built, An OVER_THE_COUNTER_GUARANTEE is hard to pass and your story is a seller all in its self.

InshoreAngler
12-21-2003, 09:30 AM
Mine is a $90 7' 30-40# 1-6oz. on a Penn 320GT2, only used it once, handled nice on 9# blue trolling. I plan it to be my partyboat/livelining herring @ dock combo.

Anyone have anything to say about the Tsunami boat rods?

Mr. Sandman
12-21-2003, 09:56 AM
Originally posted by leptar
What shop was this at?

I'm looking to buy a conventional Tsunami rod.. I dont want to blow alot of money on a custom as i am having a custom spinning rod built, An OVER_THE_COUNTER_GUARANTEE is hard to pass and your story is a seller all in its self.

The shop I got mine is #^&#^&#^&#^&s B&T on MV. But I know for a fact that the Tsunami rep told him to just GIVE the fisherman a NEW ROD IN THE CASE with no questions and send back the broken stick.
He did this for me after I owned it for a month. I know several guys the picked them up and have been happy with them. They sold out for a while and had to get more but the guarantee is not some story I made up.

Now if you buy it on ebay I don't know about the over the counter return but I know tsunami is backing it up for dealers.
No matter the rod is so inexpensive for what you get... decdent components and it casts very well. good luck with it.

love_2_fish
12-23-2003, 01:05 PM
Mr. Sandman,

Where did you buy that Tsunami Rod? The price was better than what I spent for my 10' Tsunami and the service seems unbeatable. I think a tackle shop with service like that should be supported. Very few tackle shops north of Boston sell Tsunami's. I want to get an 8 footer to go with my 10'. I own both Tica and Tsunami and like the Tsunami a little better.

Regards,

love_2_fish

Mr. Sandman
12-23-2003, 02:32 PM
love2fish,
I am pretty sure any dealer should back up the rods, ask. I got mine on the vineyard (#^&#^&#^&#^&s B&T).

As far as the price...I really don't recall what I paid but I remember it was cheap and well worth it. IMO it is NOT the best rod but for the money it ain't a bad deal and it feels pretty nice. The breakage deal was the clincher. If they made one peice rods I would buy more of them.

love_2_fish
12-23-2003, 02:43 PM
Mr. Sandman,

I agree with you it's not a Lami, but the price/value is right. I ordered some plugs from #^&#^&#^&#^&s B&Ta few weeks ago for my wife to give me for christmas. Bombers and Hab's Needle. I just may order the rod from him as well.

Have a nice Holiday,

love_2_fish

scoobe
12-23-2003, 06:09 PM
I have a Tsunami TSTSS 1002MH on the way. It's the 10 footer. You guys that have this rod, what weight reel do you have on there that balances well?

rocketman
12-23-2003, 09:04 PM
I bought an 8ft Tica one piece rod, med action. I love it. What I like best is that the handle feels solid. Some of the lower priced rods the handle feels like it was just shoved onto the rod blank as an after thought. It almost feekl like the rod is gonna pop out of the handle. Not the case with my tica. I'm gonna be buying a longer surf rod soon, and it will probably be a Tica.

Nebe
12-23-2003, 09:08 PM
Rumor has it that the guys at Tica disected a G-loomis stick and made an exact copy, but with lower end components. I dont know if this is true, but Its what I've heard

Notaro
12-24-2003, 12:56 AM
does it cast great, the tsumani?

love_2_fish
12-24-2003, 07:48 AM
Scoobe,

I bought a Shimano 6500B bait runner reel for my 10' rod and I picked up a 4500B to go on my 9' Tica. I would have to say that I think the 6500B is a little to big tor the 10' Tsunami and that I like the feel of the 4500B on it much better.

Joe,

I think the rod loads up and casts very well. it is a little stiffer that say a 10'- 6" Tica, but for chunking, slinging eels and throwing heavier lures it suits me fine.

The only modification I am thinking of making after using it for a season is to cut about an inch and a half off the but end to make it more comfortable when reeling. And I don't have short arms, 35" sleeves.

love_2_fish

scoobe
12-24-2003, 04:52 PM
The 6500 is listed as around 30oz and the 4500 about 22oz, if my memory serves me correctly.

From the couple of rods I use now... 18-20 usually feels about right. 30oz sounds like a monster.