View Full Version : Garmin

fishaholic18
12-13-2003, 04:41 PM
I bought a Garmin 188c last January, and this fall I noticed the display was getting hard to see. It was like it was scratched on the inside or something. I e-mailed them about it and they told me to ship it to them. Within 5 bus. days I had a brand new unit with all the latest updates. Pretty good customer service in my book!!!!:cheers:

BigBo
12-13-2003, 10:29 PM
Garmin has always had top notch customer service IMO.:kewl:

Mr. Sandman
12-14-2003, 10:07 AM
Thats great! Actaully I have found most quality marine electronics companies to be pretty much the same. I think these things are easier to replace then repair in many cases and they are sure to get a return customer. (also the mark-up is amazing on electronics so they can afford it!)

Vectorfisher
12-14-2003, 01:04 PM
I too had a problem with my Garmin 168 sounder, the depth sounder just stopped reading the bottom and depth, sent it back and they sent a brand new one over. Only problem was it was July/August when it crapped out leaving me with no GPS for fishing and wouldn't you know the one time I got fogged in I didn't have it!! Go figure!! Will never buy the combo unit again for that reason, also went out and put one of them see in the fog machines:D Can't believe I went without one, now just need to learn to use it proper.

12-15-2003, 08:55 AM
Last season I had a problem with the external antenna on my Garmin 162 GPS, the cable to the antenna had gotten frayed on a 90 degree corner inside the T-Top tubing, which had a jaggered edge.

The problem was not Garmin's but I called them to order a replacement. I explained to them what happened and they said they would send out a replacement covered under warranty. I received it within 2-days.. How's that for customer service?

Van
12-15-2003, 09:57 AM
Just to be fair, I'll put in a plug for Raymarine.

Half way through last season my chartplotter backlight would go out intermittent. (I hate problems that are intermittent!)..
Sent it in under warranty and got it back about 2 weeks later, They updated the software, fixed the backlight issue and bench tested the unit all is AOK !!!
Looking forward to seeing what the updated software version will do on the water...

Plus these new repairs are warranteed for 12 months additional.
Good to hear US manufacturers are doing it right....

Mr. Sandman
12-15-2003, 10:07 AM
My raymarine was having some problems writing to the C-Map user cards...I tried everthing to get it to write and finally called up a tech support guy in NH. It turns out that C-MAP (made in italy) changed the format of the cards and did not tell all the hardware developers..He said they are making the change to the OS and would FedExed me a a special C-MAP card to upgrade my software when it was done. (about 4 days later) THis was back in May... All is well now. He also questioned me for about 20 minutes on the machine, he said they really like to get real feedback "from the field". To me this is how you make equipment better...find out how it is actually being used by the guys who are using it.

Bob Senior
12-15-2003, 05:11 PM
I first got a Furuno b&w fishfinder (6100) to save some $. I didn't like it at all. I called the dealer I got it from 2 months later, told them I didn't like it, and they gave me full purchase price toward the color Furuno and offered to install it for me for free. I installed it myself and I love it.

John: Can I mention the dealer?

Van
12-16-2003, 09:17 AM
Bob S,

I bought the 6100 last season. The only drawback is its hard to read in sunlight. Other than that its OK..

What was your issue with it ?????

Bob Senior
12-16-2003, 11:41 AM
Van:

That was it. I had to run all over the boat to get a view from which I could read it, especially when the sun was low. Welllll, not really THAT bad. I replaced it with the FCV600L, which is, essentially, the same unit in color.

Whereas just about everything is selectable from menus with the 6100, there are more direct-select buttons on the 600. that way, to change it in some way underway, the 600 is easier.

But the color on the 600 is great and much more readable, at least for my one remaining and significanlty worn out eye.

My GPS is the Garmin 182C. It's a great unit and I haven't yet had any problems with the screen. Then again, I don't leave either unit in the boat. That's more of a security issue than anything else, but I think it will make them more durable.

JohnR
12-16-2003, 11:47 AM
Bob - sure - we don't censor that stuff here.... Only if someone comes on with the intent to spam.... Big Difference

Van
12-16-2003, 12:53 PM
My chartplotter is raymarine and is not color, but it always reads well in any light condition.
The furuno has essentially the same looking display, but is hard to see and I have to keep changing the brite and cont.
But when the backlight is on, its really vivid..
How much more was the color (600) UNIT, i went with the BW cause of the low $ and its furuno...

I also remove the electronics when at the slip, I bought a plastic, extra deep padded pistol box and they both fit in it nicely.

Bob Senior
12-16-2003, 03:56 PM
Van:

I paid $299 (I think) for the 6100, installed. And then gave them $400 more for the 600. It used the same transponder and cable, but the NEMA cable had to be changed from a 6- to a 7-pin unit (or was it visa versa???) The color display is so much better that it's hard to believe.

I found the prices at Seaport Communications about the best I could find, even online.

I'm a real toy freak and like the way the GPS, fishfinder, and VHF hook up together and share information. My VHF is a Standard Horizon Spectrum+, an amazing unit, especially with a PA speaker.

He who dies with the most toys has the cheapest funeral!!!!

Bob Senior
12-16-2003, 04:14 PM
Van:

I got a price quote for the GPS, fishfinder and VHF from Seaport Communications at last year's Providence show. Really good prices. The installation didn't take place until almot 3 months later but they still held to their show quote. I was impressed.

I had wanted the Garmin 320C fishfinder, but at the time there were none available anywhere unless I paid about $1,400!! That's why i went with the Furuno, thinking I'd get the 320C later. But then I saw the 600 in action at Boater's World and went ahead from there.

In the price area, I wanted to get a remote controlled spotlight to mount on the t-top. The one I wanted was $399 at West Marine. I found the same thing online for $199. I printed out the listing and took it to West. They sold me theirs for $199 plus $12 shipping.

I was impressed, once again. If I could have found online prices lower than Seaport's quotes, I probably would have done the same thing with West. But Seaport was the lowest I could find anywhere and they're across the street from West!!

Check out the FCV600 if you're uncomfortable with the 6100. You'll get hooked like I did.

I'm waiting for someone to come out with a unit that'll put stripers in the water where there aren't any, and tell you what lure to use to catch them. Garmin will probably do that next.

Van
12-16-2003, 04:28 PM
Got a link for seaport?

I got mine through defender, best price I could find.
I believe I paid 279 for the 6100....

BigBo
12-16-2003, 11:12 PM
Bob S, or anyone else that feels like answering. You mentioned above about how all the electronics tie in together. I fully understand about the GPS/VHF with DSC communication with each other. What is the advantage to having the GPS/FF linked?

I like toys too.

BigBo
12-18-2003, 07:06 AM
Anybody????

Bob Senior
12-18-2003, 01:32 PM
Only that you get depth and thru-the-water speed sent from the FF to the GPS, GPS-derived coordinates sent to FF, ability to mark fish position on the FF with coords, etc. All redundant, granted, but useful when you're bottom fishing to give you something to play with!!!

BigBo
12-18-2003, 04:50 PM
Thanks Bob S. The redundancy is what I was thinking but wasn't sure. I've got separate Garmin GPS and FF on the boat and knew that they could be tied together but just wasn't sure as to the advantage. I do have the NMEA wires from the GPS linked to the VHF. Maybe I'll try the FF link this year as well. Just something else to play with. The way it works now, when I'm over structure or whatever; just hit MOB and rename it afterwards and save. I especially like not having a combo unit that many people opt for but I can understand it if space comes at a premium. I just like having the two full screens.
Thanks again

Bob Senior
12-18-2003, 07:00 PM
I like having the two units too, but it's just one more thing to worry about and to install and take out. My GPS has so much information on it that it'll take me about 10 years to master it all.

The MOB button and renaming later is what I do, too.

What I'd like is a power supply in my house that i could use to set up the FF and the GPS. With that, you could play with them at your leisure and get to know what all the features are all about. But, for the GPS, you'd have to live in a movable house trailer or something, to get it to work!!!

I have a 12V ;power supply and am planning on getting another cable that I can hook to it for just this reason. The FF would work too.

Underway I'm just too busy chasing fish to mess around with the elec. toys.

BigBo
12-18-2003, 11:31 PM
If you're interested in a DC power supply, PM me. I've got a nice a nice adjustable 5-30 vdc unit.
ooopps.....got a little ahead of myself there. Just noticed in reading again, you've already got a 12v.:kewl:

BigBo
12-19-2003, 07:00 AM
Not quite as nice as your color models, but this setup works nice for me and it was well within the budget even with the additional BlueChart CD. This is the third boat I've setup with Garmin products because I've had such good luck with them.

Van
12-19-2003, 08:50 AM
Hey Bigbo.

I see the Edson speed wheel on that baby..
I nearly choked when I saw the price for it, did you buy it after, or was it installed?

I have a machine shop here, so I bought some stainless and turned a knob, drill through the wheel and made my own for 5$.

I like the way your elelctronics are set up, conveinent, my boat is wrapped so I cant post a pic of mine, but bacically they are side by side. FF and GPS plotter..

Billybob
12-19-2003, 10:29 AM
I just got a Garmin 2006C from a friend for X-mas, was playing around in Sim mode the other night.
Think I'm gonna like this unit:D

http://www.garmin.com/graphics/gpsmap20062006CBig.jpg

Bill

BigBo
12-19-2003, 02:03 PM
Van, Thanks. That's not an Edson. I nearly choked when I saw the price of them as well. That's a Schmitt Wheel. Comes with or without the knob and also in the traditional destroyer wheel. These are about a third or less the cost of the Edson's. While the Edson's are a work of art, I just couldn't justify that kind of money. The Schmitt is very nice though and also has finger grooves underneath. I got this one for $94.50. My old one was cracked on the inner hub causing it to be a little sloppy. The previous owner neglected to change out the helm unit when it wore out and that just caused a lot of wear and tear on the old wheel so I figured while I was replacing the helm, I'd spring for a little nicer wheel. I really like having the knob especially for docking.

Bob Senior
12-19-2003, 02:25 PM
BB:

My set up is exactly like yours, even with the compass between the FF and GPS. But I have one of the vinyl coated wheels. The SS or Alum wheels are a little too cold in the spring and fall for my candy a**. I would like a knob, though.

Van
12-19-2003, 02:30 PM
I'll take a pic of the knob I made on my wheel, (its in my cellar) and tell you how I made it for under 5 bucks...
I suk at docking so I hope it will help...

BigBo
12-19-2003, 04:05 PM
Edson sells just the knob for $99.00.:eek5: There are a few companies making just the knob as well. I saw some in an Overtons catalog and somewhere else that I just can't remember right now.
I'm sure yours will work fine Van. And yes they do help making quick turns at the dock.

Van
12-19-2003, 04:18 PM
I saw that 99$ edson,it has a cheap clamp that goes
around the wheel, I think it might spin easily, and probably marr the wheel.

Billybob
12-19-2003, 04:52 PM
I like that wheel too, think it would look good on mine.I'll probably have to get rid of the Lowrance (or redo my console), because I don't have the room for both.
Nice looking setup Big Bo.

http://www.classicseacraft.com/Sirotnak23console.jpg

Bill

JeffH
12-19-2003, 05:41 PM
Billybob - There is a long thread over on the TheHullTruth (http://thehulltruth.com) board regarding the Garmin 2006. It appears many people are having problems with the anti-reflective coating on the screen. It's worth reading.

Billybob
12-19-2003, 05:54 PM
Thanks Jeff -
I saw that over there when I got this thing, bummed me out a little. And as you can see, mine has no protection from the elements, but I will take it off when not using it.
I'll just take care of it, and hope for the best.
Price was right :D

JeffH
12-19-2003, 06:10 PM
I have the 188 which had the same price tag as yours, just showed up at my house one day, it would make Gov. Rowland proud. Anyway, I have had mine for a year and sprayed it with Simple Green, X-14 and all sorts of other cleaners and it looks lke new.

MakoMike
12-19-2003, 06:12 PM
Guys,
seems like some guys with the 2006 have problems and some don't. Same goes for 2010 users. I have the 2010 and have not had any problems after two years on the boat.

fishaholic18
12-19-2003, 06:25 PM
I had the problem with the anti-reflective coating flaking off on my 188c. Garmin replaced the unit for free, but I didn't realize that so many others are having the same problem. I use only eyeglass cloths and cleaner on my screen like they recommend. I'm going to try to find some kind of protective screen cover for it. Why the hell would they make it so fragile for use on a boat???? Dumb engineers I guess.

MTC
01-03-2004, 05:19 AM
Great Idea...my 182C is getting dimmer. Just sent Garmin an Email.

If you are looking for good prices get an add off the internet and goto Boat US and ask them to price match. They may add shipping in but you can realy save $$$

macojoe
01-08-2004, 10:02 PM
I have a Garmin 12 hand held and love it!! I have had it for about 4 seasons. Never had one thing go wrong!! I love the hand held, I have with me all the time, I go on someone elses boat I have it for some # if we hit fish. If we are going in my area on there oat I have all my stuff with me. I go hunting i have it with me incase i get lost in the woods!

The screen is small but other then that it is great!! I am planing a Chart plotter and I am really thinking of staying hand held?? Garmin 76s is looking good to me!
Then I will always have the 12 to back me up. :happy: