View Full Version : New to Fly Fishing

IFG
12-13-2003, 09:17 PM
I am planning to get a fly out fit for my B-day and I was wonder about some input for a schoolie flats rod like 8wt Im lookin at the offshore angler setup because I have good luck with thier rods before any input?

steelhead
12-14-2003, 12:25 PM
Fly rods:Don't let anyone sell you a stiff fast action rod. Long, soft rods are easier for novices to load and unload. With a rod that flexes down into the butt section, it is easier to feel the rod working. (Without getting into the nitty gritty, the slower action softer rod, actually generates more tip speed than a fast action rod, making it easier to cast. Being able to feel the rod loading and unloading helps with the timing of your casting stroke. In the long run, to be able to feel the action of the rod makes you a better caster because there are often conditions where your eyes are elswhere and you have to feel the rod. (And here's a little secret, a long softer rod has the capability of actually casting further, when you need to....)

Fly line. Start out with a floating line. A floater is easier to lift out of the water. It is easier to keep in the air as you false cast, compared to a heavier intermediate or sinking line. The object is to make this as easy as possible for a beginner to get the hang of the technique. The problem that most people have with their casting is that they false cast too much and don't trust the loaded rod to to do the work of shooting the line. A simple exercise that I use with people is to have them strip out enought line so that the shooting head portion of the line is in front of them on the ground or water. an equal amount of line should be on the ground/in your stripping basket or what ever. Lift the line, one false cast and shoot the line. It's quite remarkable what can be done with that one false cast when you really focus on it. Even beginners! In addition, floating line is easier to manage when it's in the water. You can lift it and move it about, as well as strip, enabling you to stay in contact with the fly. Intermediate and sinking lines, once they are in the water they sink and the only way to truly keep in contact with the fly is to strip. If you were plugging, would you want to limit your options for presentation? The same applies to fly fishing.

Flies. No clousers. They just cause hassles for the beginning fly fisherman. Inherently by their design, they are like jigs. Picture trying to cast a jig ot keep it up in the air as you false cast. A simple bucktail or flatwing that is light, and streamlined is a much better way to go for beginning fly selections. Stay away from the big overstuffed opaque flies. They're bulky and heavy and cast poorly. ( I don't fish clousers with a fly rod any more. They're easier to cast and fish with a light weight spinning outfit!)

This thought ought to be familiar turf for you as most spinning rods and casting rods are rated for a range of line weights. Inspite of what the fly rod manuacturers say, fly rods are too. Try out different weight lines on a rod of a given weight rating is right on. Most rods can handle lines up to at least two weights higher than they are rated. So for example, an eight weight, can also handle a 9 and a 10 weight line. Depending on the rod's construction, it may actually work better with a slightly heavier line. I use a 10'-6" 8 weight, and my standard line is a 10 weight forward floater. If a store won't set the rod up for you to try out with several different lines, leave!

A fussy little detail, but it's important, is the balance of the rod and reel as a combination. When you buy a rod, buy a reel that when it is loaded with backing and line, and is mounted on the rod, lets you balance the rod/reel right under your ring finger as you hold the rod for casting. This gets the natural balance point and pivot point inside your hand. It makes for much less fatiguing casting and fishing. Thhis often means buying a reel that is "rated " for a heavier line. In order to properly balance my 8 weight, I have an 11/12 teton rell on it with about 400 yards of backing. (Can you say albie or fb tuna?)

Just my .02. Have fun! it's a whole new world, just as I'm discovering with plugging!

IFG
12-14-2003, 12:53 PM
I should have specified more Im not new to fly fishing just saltwater flyfishing I have fished for trout and bass on fly for a while I just like toget into saltwater fly fishing because when the bass are picky a fly is a great choice.
Thanks for the input I really apreciate but I really need fedd back on rod specifics.

thank you very much steelhead

steelhead
12-14-2003, 11:24 PM
Whew. That's a big one! Some of it depends on how much you want to spend, but you know that already. I am finding/observing that the new very hi modulus (sp?) fast action rods are brittle. I saw several shatter while people were playing small schooolie size bass, especiall when the fight got up close. I have grown to like the less expensive rods that use one to three generation old graphite because it is more flexible and the rod is slower action, allowing me to load the rod and let it do the work of casting for me. I have several friends who have the lower line Reddingtons and love them for that reason. I've heard mixed reviews on Temple Fork, no personal experience. This past year, I discovered Heritage Flyrods. They are a great vaule/dollar ratio and come in great variety of lengths, weights and flexes. For striper fishing, a good medium flex 8 or 9 weight, 9 foot minimum dimension would be my suggestion. If you can find a 10'-6" rod, all the better, especially for the surf! I know Heritage has both of these rods in those weights and lengths (go to castlearms.com for info on these rods). One of my old favorites is an older 7 weight Orvis Silver label rod, medium flex. I hope I never break it.... Hope that has helped, a bit rambling. Must be the fumes from making plugs...

Roger
12-15-2003, 08:54 AM
Some of the best casting rods I've used in the last few years are from Temple Fork Outfitters. They are very nice casting tools, and the best part is that they range in price from $89 to $249.

The rods you might be interested in for schoolies on the flats are their Series I, which are two pc rods for $100, or the Pro Series 4 pc rods for $150.

Lifetime guarantee and great customer service too. I've cast and fished the rods, but don't just take my word for it. Do a search on TFO rods. Lots of boards have discussed them at length.

IFG
12-17-2003, 11:29 AM
Thanks guys

Sandflee
01-20-2004, 05:46 PM
i use the Temple Fork Outfitters Pro series 4pc. 10 weight, and i love the rod, i think i'm gonna pick up the TFO signature series (TICR) next, i'd rather have the titanium guides than the chrome. JMO