View Full Version : Frozen Squid

Marty
05-11-2001, 11:59 AM
Anybody use squid for striper fishing? Used some the other day off a boat and was impressed at how durable it was.

Jaiem
05-11-2001, 12:13 PM
I've used fresh squid very successfully for bass. Never tried frozen though. It would be much easier in many case to use, if it works. I don't see why not. Frozen bunker/macs work so why not squid? But, as with those baits, fresh probably is better if obtainable.

STEVE IN MASS
05-11-2001, 12:28 PM
I have used frozen squid in the past for stripers (and also on the obx for fluke and such). Have had some hits on it, but never actually caught a fish using it, except as I said, on OBX. Squid strips can make good trailer for jigs, from what I hear.

On the OBX, it is important to cut the squid carefully into the shape of a baitfish to be successful. Not sure if that applies for stripers, as I usually just put them out whole up in this area.

Marty
05-11-2001, 02:42 PM
I agree with the fresh versus frozen, but I'm on the road heading for Maine after the bait shops are closed and on the beach well before they open. Frozen is about all I can do.

Jenn
05-11-2001, 10:47 PM
a little tip for you....if you dont use it all, remember to get rid of it and not leave it "roasting" in the cooler in the sun...forgotten about for a few days.....been there...done that....almost puked.....havent been able to bring myself to try it again....... :O

JohnR
05-12-2001, 08:43 AM
Actually, to be honest squid after 1 hot evening is worse than a dead eel at three days. Squid after three nights damages your nose for a month... If it isn't used, pitch it...

Bob Senior
05-13-2001, 08:54 AM
Some of the best tasting tomatoes I ever grew had left over squid under each plant. Gives them a sort of calamari flavor, too!!! ;)

BTW, the West Wall was HOT last night. I want to thank everyone for putting me onto night fishing. My son and I left the wall at 2:00 this morning and were sore from catching schoolies. No keepers, but a couple were really close. We threw every plug in the inventory at them; the star performers were 5-inch Yo-Zuri black back gold crystal minnows--look more like a shad than a shad! I hear it was loaded during the evening too.

Striper "frames" will grow a mean tomato too!!