View Full Version : Gami Tog rigs

InshoreAngler
12-14-2003, 08:21 PM
Guys, quick question, tying rigs right now, and I wanted to know....I have a 100 pack of 5/0 gami octopus hooks that I thought I would be using for cod, but instead im using 7/0s....I would like to use these 5/0s for tog since I have them instead of buying the virginias. Are these hooks too big for blackfish?
I have a pic attached. How do the rigs look, 50# big game.

Also, quick question, do you guys prefer one or two hook for blackfish?? These gamis will run out quick if I use two hook so I think I'm going to stick with one.

Joey T
12-15-2003, 03:54 AM
i don't think so. if you use that in ri, you should be fine from what i read. vic, dont ya think it is a bad time to fish for togs now?

MAC
12-15-2003, 04:12 AM
How is the hook tied on? Is it snelled, or a palomar, hard to tell from photo. If it is snelled the line is going through the hook eye from the wrong side. The line needs to come through from top and be inline with hook shank. Also your dropper loop looks like it needs a little help. The three wraps on either side of loop should lay flat and not overwrap. With the line laying over itself you greatly reduce the knot strength. Sorry if this sounds a little harsh, but you asked.

InshoreAngler
12-15-2003, 07:51 AM
not harsh at all, constructive critisism.

Joey, these aren't for now. I'm pretty much done for togs for the year. Maybe in springtime if I'm not too occupied with cod/herring run stripers.
I need to work on the droppers. And the hook is not attached with a knot, its attached just like a sinker....through the eye and around the hook. Is that OK? I do the same for cod on the teaser hooks/bait rigs.
thanks for the help!!:D

Goose
12-15-2003, 09:13 AM
Three way swivels are nice;)

RIROCKHOUND
12-15-2003, 09:54 AM
KISS Method!

Hi/Lo rig with 50lb mono, three perfection loops, 8" apart,
bottom loop holds a sinker, the top two hold hooks...

Not too big, we use 8/0 hooks (either gami Octopus or Mustad)

Joey T... there are probably still tog around; went out Sat and goit squat but it was 25kts NW and nasty out, but we have had banner days into January in years past, but these F'ing storms F it all up!:af::af::af:

'hound

InshoreAngler
12-15-2003, 03:11 PM
So, 5/0 octopus hooks can hook an undersized tog also?

fishweewee
12-15-2003, 03:17 PM
Vic, I've gotten away with 4/0 sized Gami Octopus hooks.

I use a one hook rig - easier to concentrate on one thing at a time. I know sharpies who use two but I personally like one.

In some respects, smaller is a little better because you can bury the hook easier in the bait.

RIROCKHOUND
12-15-2003, 03:17 PM
Depends on how big your bait is WW :D
'hound

Joey T
12-16-2003, 10:32 AM
Originally posted by RIROCKHOUND
Joey T... there are probably still tog around; went out Sat and goit squat but it was 25kts NW and nasty out, but we have had banner days into January in years past, but these F'ing storms F it all up!:af::af::af:

'hound

:crying: :crying: Aww, damn, it's too cold to fish there now.

Bassman18
12-16-2003, 02:36 PM
Originally posted by Joey T
:crying: :crying: Aww, damn, it's too cold to fish there now.

ahhh...chicken...I'm going fishing for togs on sunday :happy: :happy: :happy: can't wait

Joey T
12-16-2003, 03:31 PM
Originally posted by Bassman18
ahhh...chicken...I'm going fishing for togs on sunday :happy: :happy: :happy: can't wait

May Gods help you, Dave.:rolleyes:

Bassman18
12-16-2003, 03:34 PM
oh yeah, they'd better be good to me! Only went fishing maybe 15 times this year, I'm seriously fish-deprived...must...catch...fish...

Joey T
12-16-2003, 03:35 PM
That's why I went nuts and failed my first year at Gallaudet.

Bassman18
12-16-2003, 03:39 PM
only five more days...gotta buy some of that braided stuff...couple of sinkers...go to grandpa's and hopefully borrow a pole or two for my friends...tie up a couple of rigs...so little time...

Bassman18
12-16-2003, 05:16 PM
Inshore angler, 5/0 hooks should be fine for them. I'd add a 3 way swivel to that rig. My rigs for blackfish is the same except that I use the swivel, and I use #20 mono for the sinker so that when it gets stuck I won't lose the whole rig. Just my two cents...