View Full Version : Two Day Headache

Newboater
12-15-2003, 09:47 AM
I run 7 servers and 130 workstations and this weekend my home built computer gave me the biggest headache I've ever had.

I found out remnants of Norton Antivirus Beta 2004 were on my computer. So being the neat guy I am, I run the uninstall. Went to dinner and came back and NO INTERNET through my NIC ( Network Interface Card ).

No matter what I did ( and I know some tricks ) I could not establish a connection on my computer.

I reset my Router, I reset my Cable Modem, I updated the firmware on the Router, I put the Router back to manufacturer specs. Everything! Still no connection.

Well I have Drive Image which when run will erase the boot drive and put the last image back on. So I did that. WOW ! Internet connection. BUT - Norton AntiVirus was also restored with the same missing component error. But I was checking internet and not thinking of the missing component and WOW the internet was back. Happily check mail and forums and was having a good day.

Decided to check Symantec and an install for AntiVirus 2004 Beta. Did the steps and Aaaarghh ! NO INTERNET. Nothing I could do would get it back. So did the 1 hour Drive Image again back to November 05, 2003. WOW, internet back. Hmmmmmm

Rather than uninstall the beta 2004 I reinstalled my paid version 2003 and everything is working again.

Symantec is going to get one heck of a message from me today. Wasted at least 20 hours this weekend trying to find out WHY I lost my internet TCP/IP and now I know.

Lousy company uninstalling parts of a system they have no right to be messing with.

The Ole Sarge

JohnR
12-15-2003, 12:04 PM
Newboater - which OS? Did you try to throw a different NIC in it?

There response will be something silly like "Thank you for your respomse, we value your..... .....and will apply your findings in our next...."

Or "Well, it IS beta..."

Newboater
12-17-2003, 09:19 AM
I even went so far as to buy a USB NIC interface. It loaded right up, connected at 400 rather then the normal 100 Mbps but still would not initiate the TCP/IP.

With the drive image, everyting worked great except for the missing file in Symantec Anti-Virus 2004 beta. I did the uninstall with no results. It's buried in the registry somewhere.

But even with the error, the TCP/IP stays in and works great.

The big problems come when uninstalling which has something in it that takes out the TCP/IP. This could be related to Symantec and their 'Live Update' features.

I'm upgrading ( glutten for punishment ) to Norton Anti-Virus 2004 and see what comes of it. Really like Norton over McAffee which we use at work but this will be my last attempt.

The Ole Sarge

Newboater
01-14-2004, 01:02 PM
Well, the installation of Norton AV 2004 corrected all the problems.

Seems Nortons Beta version would not uninstall correctly and I just overwrote all the items completely.

Working great.

Still no reply from Norton. No problem, my wife doesn't talk to me either.

The Old Sarge

Slipknot
01-14-2004, 01:15 PM
My wife bought the new Norton and put it in our laptop and it slowed the machine down so bad we couldn't do much of anything :wall:

Needless to say she removed it, maybe this is because it's not some brand new super duper high speed PC but it is not that old.