View Full Version : SandSled/4wd question?

Bob Thomas
12-17-2003, 01:35 AM
Seasons Greetings All!!

Just got a new sandsled. Chevy Trailblazer EXT. It has A4WD, 4 hi and 4 low. My question is this. The salesman said that A4WD would be good for the sand. Is it better to run in the A4WD or 4 High? He said the A4WD just enganges the 4 Wheel Drive only when it is needed.

Thanks and I hope everyone has a safe and happy holiday season!

tlapinski
12-17-2003, 07:04 AM
i would use regular 4WD. no reason to test fate and hope the system knows when to engage.

BigBo
12-17-2003, 07:09 AM
Not sure on how the Trailblazer system works. I know that with my wife's Grand Cherokee as well as many other 4Full Time/AWD/A4WD, the AWD selection delivers power to all four wheels all the time but at a different distribution percentage.
ie; 4High might=60/40 (rear/front)
4AWD/Full Time might=70/30 (rear/front)

I'm not saying that these numbers are correct. They are just examples. It usually tells you in your owners manual. I'm just fairly certain that's how they operate. For most sand driving, the 4AWD feature would be a good choice. It also offers your best fuel economy in 4WD as well.

Karl F
12-17-2003, 09:38 AM
If you are running in good old cape cod sugar sand.. 4 hi.
The AWD would be surging in and out, kind of like overdrive on an automatic going up hill pulling a trailer, if you know what I mean.
You would be working the autotransfer case harder using the AWD.

Good luck with the nice new ride.

MakoMike
12-17-2003, 10:39 AM
I have the same system on my Silverado, use the 4-hi. Otherwise the Auto system will be surging in and out with more resulting wear, plus if you get in a stciky situation and it doesn't kick in fast enough you could wind up in trouble.

fishweewee
12-17-2003, 10:42 AM
Hi Mike :wave: wanna go tuna fishing in February? :hihi:

bassmaster
12-17-2003, 10:56 AM
get manual hubs to save the front end. drop your air down and run in 2wd I do all the time
air down= no beat on truck drive train

JohnR
12-17-2003, 10:57 AM
4 High. The AWD systems are designed to compensate on ice and slick surfaces, not the power robbing, sinking, plowing, climbing aspects of beach sand...

Mr. Sandman
12-17-2003, 11:26 AM
My dealer told me the same thing and I asked him has he ever driven the sand...he said no. Then I asked could I get the optional skid plate installed...and he said whatsa skidplate? From then on I didn't pay much attn to him. Bought the truck had the skidplate and forward receiver installed and have been happy with it.

With regard to those buttons...What John said.

My YukonXL has the same buttons Auto4wd, 4-hi, 4-lo. and 2wd.
If I am in bad weather on the road (snow ice ect) : auto
dry roads good conditions, highway driving : 2wd
sand or heavy deep snow or pulling my boat up the ramp: 4-wd
Pulling the boat out of a nasty steep ramp in poor condions (slimy loose rocks and sand.) 4-lo
I have only been in 4-lo once in the last year

Frankly I think you *could* run around in auto all the time and not have any problems. Those systems today are very smooth and reliable. But if you know your are going to be in a heavy demanding conditions...commit the drive train to a dedicated mode.
If you want to take the strain off your drive train..AIR DOWN to sub 15psi in the sand. I wish they would start writing tickets to guys that don't. IMO this does more damage to the beach and makes much deeper bumpy ruts for others not to mention the wear on your entire engine/drivetrain.

Good luck with your new vehicle...new trucks are fun.

Karl F
12-17-2003, 11:35 AM
Originally posted by bassmaster
get manual hubs to save the front end. drop your air down and run in 2wd I do all the time
air down= no beat on truck drive train

Ah, if only... BM, these new ones have IFS, independent front suspension, not a good old straight axle. Can't put manual hubs, 'cause they have accuators, that engage the pumpkin,not the hubs. Unless you go here:
http://www.4x4posi-lok.com
and buy the kit to replace the factory accuator with a manual cable. This would allow you to engage the front end, and run 2 wheel, and use 4hi as you need it.
Anyway, yer right, air down! :D that is the key.

chris L
12-17-2003, 01:10 PM
air down and run in 4 hi . I run at between 10 and 12 psi on my old tires now I have new wheels so Ill have to see what runs best for me in the new season , but find the right mix for your own truck and tires starting at 15 psi .

MakoMike
12-17-2003, 02:24 PM
WW- What do you have in mind Bluefin off hatteras? No thanks. Yellowfin somewhere, maybe. PM me.

Flaptail
12-17-2003, 03:52 PM
I would go with regular 4wd. I looked at them and have seen them on the beach, hate to say this but I saw a few traiblazers hung up because of the low ground clearence that the vehicle has, especially out P-Town way. Dropping them to 10 or less lbs. reduces the clearence even further and there is no way that you could go in two. The A4WD option is something I have on my Blazer zr-7 hi-rider and it stinks, I have to use reg. 4wd even with the added clearence and larger sneakers. The traiblazer doesn't like deep ruts and dragging in the sand. Is it equipped with skid plates?

UserRemoved1
12-17-2003, 04:38 PM
It's NOT AWD guys, it's AUTOMATIC FOUR WHEEL DRIVE....and it sucks...use 4 high. Bob go play in the snow with it and you'll see what I'm talking about, the computer takes too much time to engage the auto 4x, by the time you need it you're already sliding...would be the same on sand too, use the 4 hi.

likwid
12-17-2003, 07:47 PM
automatic 4wd is worthless

4WD is the way.

But i think everyone here has said that now ;)

love my jeep wrangler!

Strippedgear
12-18-2003, 08:04 AM
I agree with Sandman. Air down so you don't mess up the off beach ramps if you do not it really chews up the sand and makes it tough for anyone getting off the beach.
Just my .02 worth.

Bob Thomas
12-18-2003, 01:24 PM
Well, I guess the overwhelming consensus is 4HI. Thanks gang.

I think this truck has more ground clearance than my old GMC Jimmy. It seems like it is WAY higher, so much that the wife needs a step to get in. I just hope the extra length doesn't hang up on me:smash:

Thanks for the replies. I think I'll stick to the 4HI and not chance it.

BM...funny you should say that...with the old Jimmy, I ran the Race one day in 2 hi and did not even realize it. Hit the 4HI button and it never engaged. Ran fine and didn't tear the beach up. Then again, I go down to 10 psi to help.

rocketman
12-18-2003, 08:36 PM
:smash:

C-5 CC
12-18-2003, 10:12 PM
I have a 2002 Suburban and I have gone thru some heavy deep snow using 4 auto, and I have had no problems. Granted, I haven't taken it in the sand, and probably never will (the wife would kill me...it's HER truck) but I like the 4 auto.
Ditto on airing down. The first time I went on the beach w/ MY truck (2002 Chevy 2500HD) I got real nervous seeing how low the truck was sitting w/12psi in all the tires. I thought for-sure that the tires were going to just fall right off the rims. Everything went just fine, the truck was like a tank, I even did like BM said, and ran in 2wd lots of times. I couldn't believe it, but it even made it up that wicked hill on the Race Pt Ranger station southern access road in 2wd.
Good luck
Brandon