View Full Version : Bomber Bodies

steelhead
12-18-2003, 06:39 PM
A snow shovel handle sacraficed itself for the cause... And a friend has "loaned" me an old jeweler's lathe which I used to make these Bomber style bodies, about 7" - 8" long. What are some of the possibilities for a lip and weighting a plug like this?

Jigman
12-18-2003, 10:37 PM
I have not made any like that, but my guess would be that you'll need a little weight a little behind the front hook to sit level in the water. As for lips, Janns and stamina sell some lexan lips that are precut. If those are the right size, one of those would work. If not, might have to cut your own from lexan. The hard part will be cutting the lip slot at the correct angle and keeping it even. On a crank like that, probably best to cut the slot while the blank is still square. Would help to keep everything lined up correctly.

Jigman

steelhead
12-18-2003, 10:58 PM
Jigman, I'll check those suppliers. Thanks for the input! What would happen to the action of the plug if the eye for the running line was placed slightly on top of the body or top center on the nose. Would that make the plug run with a slightly nose down attitude without a lip, if there was a touch of weight up front, say about 1" to 1 1/2" back from the nose?

Is it typical to make the cuts for lips prior to tuening the plug? As I stop and think about it, it make sense.

Striperknight
12-18-2003, 11:12 PM
The tail on the bomber is nice. You ever try to put a hook in it?

steelhead
12-18-2003, 11:20 PM
Do you mean a single instead of a treble for the bucktail?
Yes, I have done it that way, too.

Nebe
12-18-2003, 11:27 PM
Steelhead- at a quick glance your bottom plug blank looks exactly like the plug kit at NJTackcle.com That being said, you could just buy the lips that they sell for that style bodie and be fine. Plus, if you bought one kit, you could see exactly how its put together.

my 10¢

Striperknight
12-19-2003, 06:46 AM
No tadem style. Another hook off the treble.

steelhead
12-19-2003, 09:35 AM
Hadn't thought of that. Certainly worth trying. My concern would be hook fouling on the long tail. One more thng to rty out this spring....

Slipknot
12-19-2003, 09:42 AM
EBUD Mike makes wooden bombers and cuts the whole thing from one piece of wood with a scroll saw, lip and all. They look nice. Maybe he or bassmaster could post a picture or maybe bring one to the plug thingy.

bassmaster
12-19-2003, 09:53 AM
if i dont forget and no weight is needed
loose the long tail

steelhead
12-19-2003, 10:04 AM
That would be great if one of you could bring a bomber style plug. No tail needed on a plug of this style?

Canalman
12-19-2003, 10:28 AM
Another lip possibility would be a small colorado blade. I have a feeling you will need to make quite a few prototypes before you get them running right, no matter which road you take.

Also.. have you swam that bomber with that long tail? A friend of mine put a bucktail on a bomber and it completely killed the action. Looks pretty cool though :cool:

-Dave

steelhead
12-19-2003, 10:33 AM
I have used it set up like this. As long as the tail was very thin, it didn't affect the action. Didn't notice any difference in preference for the plug one way or another as far as fish hits went. A tail with bulk killed it.

saltyric
12-19-2003, 11:53 AM
Nice work. I would hate to see you start chopping up the kitchen table. If you want some blanks, drop me a PM and I'll give some.