View Full Version : Two Hooks Sluggo, my first attempt..

Notaro
12-19-2003, 11:56 PM
Hey guys, I made my first attempts at rigging up two hooks sluggos from "The Fisherman." I didn't follow the whole thing dues to a couple of material I didn't have last night. I used a 30 lbs test fireline, my aunt's 3 inches sewing needles, superglue, and mustad 4/0 hooks. And I didn't have the rigging needle. I used my aunt's equipment.

Sprinkles, I rigged up (your method that involves with sewing thread and super glue) those mustad 4/0 hooks on small sluggos. I was telling you this because you should be proud of yourself. Your grasshopper applied what his teacher taught him. ;)

Here are the pickture.

Scotch Bonnet
12-20-2003, 12:37 AM
I think its overkill and will hurt the action. I rig them Texas style and don't get too many misses(except for the rats).

nor-easter
12-20-2003, 12:43 AM
If you are rigging to catch keeper size fish then you only need one hook and that is at the head of the bait.
Small fish will grab the bait by the tail but the one's you want will almost alway's take the bait by the head first.

Unless you are fishing for Blue Fish. Then you need the tail hook rigged with wire and a cast iron sleeve over the rubber so it don't get bited off!

Notaro
12-20-2003, 02:00 AM
You know what? I never actually quite thought about this. Tim Coleman said that this technique is good for both. Well, I can't make many comments on that because I haven't caught a fish on it except for a BUMP...And it was only once.

scoobe
12-20-2003, 04:03 AM
The way the Sluggo was intended to be rigged is perfectly straight... no bends in the nose. This gives it a very random action like a disorientated bait fish, going in a different direction with each twitch. Sure you can rig it with a bend on purpose, but then it will always curve to the same direction and twist your line. I have caught a few stripers on the big Sluggos, but I have caught more largemouths on Sluggos than any other artificial. I mastered using them at my local river catching bass, pickerel, and crappie.

Got Stripers
12-20-2003, 06:23 AM
While I'd not waste my time bothering to rig a jerkbait with a stinger, I've always enjoyed monkey'g around with different stuff through the years, so if you have the time go for it.

I agree with the posts above in two respects, first even respectable schoolies will attempt to smack the bait at the head and straight rigging is preferred for the action that is inherently designed into a straight jerk bait.

Raven
12-20-2003, 08:14 AM
theres also a hollow tube tool you can shove through a plastic bait
and then you just push the fishing line though the center of it.

Notaro
12-20-2003, 01:21 PM
i know it isn't straight. i will try it better as soon as i get the rigging needle.

scoobe, how does a crappie, a smallmouth, and a largemouth bite on the sluggo? i mean a 9 inches seemed big to them. a 4.5 inches is too big for a crappie.

Christian
12-20-2003, 02:06 PM
lookin good.:btu:

scoobe
12-20-2003, 02:16 PM
The 4.5 is not too big for crappie.

Notaro
12-20-2003, 10:27 PM
So it can eat a sluggo? Do you use a weight on a line? I mean, how well can you cast a sluggo? Not too well. I casted it once or more than I care to count. I didn't like the texas-style rigging they put up on the back of the product.

BigBo
12-21-2003, 07:05 AM
Notaro, I would suggest that if you haven't already; visit Got Stripers Ledgerunner Baits website. GS has made an excellent site with extensive information on rigging soft plastic jerk baits. I also think his product is far superior to Sluggos as well and he's got a wider variety of shapes, sizes and colors. He lends a lot of insight to his many hours of testing and different rigging methods. Check it out.

Bob, should I PM my address for the free samples for this product plug?:laughs:
Just kidding. But inall seriousness Notaro, check it out.

Jonny Bolt
12-21-2003, 09:28 AM
Pretty cool idea.

For 9" Slug-Go's, I rig mine with the usual hook, Texas style as you normally would, but I add a treble hook to the hook shaft so I can get hook sets on top and bottom. Works wonders for me, and doesnt change the action of the Slug-Go cuz its rigged properly. Here's a pic of my rig...

Christian
12-21-2003, 10:56 AM
good idea, ill have to try somthing similar with a piece of SS wire.:D

keoka
12-24-2003, 10:33 AM
HI I am new to the salt thing but do great with slugo in freshwater smallmouth love them!!! I think this fall thay would have worked . had some big bliz in front of me couldn,t get anything to work bait to small . but what size rod are you useing?
to cast slugo in the salt? :confused: think i got to down size
big learning curve from freshwater to salt. GREAT SITE. I do a lot more reading than posting but just still learning.

Jonny Bolt
12-24-2003, 11:02 AM
HI Keoka, welcome aboard.

I throw 9" Slug-Go's with a 7 foot and 9 foot rod.

I like to throw 8" or 9" white grubs w/ jighead off the boat too :)

Notaro
12-24-2003, 11:54 AM
Johnny Bolt, how far can you make a cast on a nine inch sluggo on ur 7 to 9 ft surf gear?

Jonny Bolt
12-24-2003, 12:17 PM
Pretty far with FireLine. Not sure the exact distance. But I only fish the 9 inchers off the boat. I dont use em surf fishing. OK, maybe once I did lol, with the 11' Ugly.

scoobe
12-24-2003, 01:51 PM
I throw the 9 inchers unweighted with a 9 foot Daiwa. I am guessing they they get the same distance as the 4 inch Wild Eyes I use which is adequate. If I need distance I switch to something like a spoon.

Notaro
12-27-2003, 09:10 PM
that's the answer to this, spoons. It's best if we use the sluggos off the boat.

Jonny Bolt
12-28-2003, 06:20 AM
Originally posted by Notaro
that's the answer to this, spoons. It's best if we use the sluggos off the boat.

:bgi:

quick decision
12-28-2003, 04:01 PM
I'm curious about the action you will loose if you rig the secound hook on the sluggo. I have had good luck deep trolling these with single hooks.

scoobe
12-28-2003, 05:08 PM
If rigged properly, I don't think the wacky action would be impeded much. As long as we are talking about action... what action are you getting trolling? Sluggos don't have any inherent action when trolled, unless rigged with a curve.

quick decision
12-28-2003, 09:44 PM
Think outside the box. Or in this case the Sluggo.