View Full Version : Boat Stereo systems

Mr. Sandman
12-20-2003, 04:52 PM
I am going to put a marine am/fm/cd player on the CC this spring and I have been looking around ...my biggest concern is that the system stand up to salt spray (esp the speakers). This unit will get wet. Some have covers but and some are "waterproof"

I was thinking of the poly planer uint with thier water proof speakers.
http://www.polyplanar.com/mall/stereopg2.asp
http://www.polyplanar.com/mall/6000prodpage.asp

Has anyone used these? If so how do you like it? I think I saw this group at the boat show a couple years ago and they had a demo of the unit submerged in a plexeglass box.

I am not looking for high end audiofile perfection...just the radio and a little music while fluke fishing with the kids.

BigBo
12-20-2003, 07:30 PM
I've got a Seaworthy AM/FM/CD player, with the Poly Planer speakers. They were on the boat when I bought it a year ago. The previous owner said that he had them installed two years prior to me buying the boat. Now the Seaworthy would not be my first choice in stereos but it's not exposed to any weather so it seems to be holding up okay. The speakers are exposed all the time and still sound pretty good for what they are. I actually get pretty decent sounds from this setup. If your looking for a halfway decent system and can keep the stereo itself protected from the elements, I think it'll be fine for what you want. I really like the Clarions for a little more $$ though. But, depends on your budget. If you can mount it somewhere out of the elements, they make a wired remote keypad for most of the common manufacturers now. I tried to get one for mine but they didn't make one for it until the following year from when mine was made. It would just make it easier for changing stations or CD tracks. The keypads are also waterproof.

Team Rock On
12-20-2003, 08:50 PM
I have a Sony with the remote on the console, the unit is down below. I have Kenwood marine speakers and have never had a problem with either. I wouldn't recommend the CD players with the removable fronts as they have a tendancy to remove themselves when the going gets rough.

Van
12-21-2003, 11:11 AM
SM:

If it helps I'll tell you what i did.

I have 2 weather proof speakers outside on either side of the cockpit. They are not the big bucks ones, but i can't remember the brand, they have white plastic covers and plastic guts like all marine speakers. I'm pretty sure they are 6" round. They are flush mounted.
Then 2-6" round Walmart special speakers inside the cabin. (also flush mounted up in the bow end.
The stereo AM/FM/CD is NOT a marine model, (autozone) since its inside the cabin I don't care that much. It was only 100 bucks with a wireless remote. Its got 200 watts of boat shaking power (sounds awesome). I can run a WOT, crank it up and hear it just fine..So the whole system was pretty cheap this way
I did have a "marine" stereo in there before, but it crapped out after a few years and was expensive.
In these days of disposable electtronics i felt it was not worth the
extra bucks for a marine unit. This one has been in for 2 seasons and is working fine so far.

UserRemoved1
12-21-2003, 11:53 AM
I have the Polyplanar speakers on my boat, I hose them all the time, and the stereo is a $5 special I got at one of those cheesy electronics shows...put the radio inside the Elec box and it'll last forever...

Mr. Sandman
12-21-2003, 01:27 PM
Thanks all.

I think I will go for the poly-planer unit +speakers. I see them selling on line for a pretty reasonable price.

salty, How do those polyplaners sound?

Van, 200 watts! I hope we boaters don't end up like todays teens in automobiles where the fellows' stereo in the car next to me is too loud and my car vibration is annoying and both his and my windows are rolled up. :eek:

I wish my VHF would broadcast @ 200watts then I could talk to you RI guys on 69. I think the longest distance I have gotten out of my VHF is about 20 miles on a good day and I have a good antenna and radio.

UserRemoved1
12-21-2003, 02:07 PM
they sound ok but they're on the boat and as long as I got tunes out there I'm happy...

Not a BOSE system by far though....next boat :D

Van
12-22-2003, 09:20 AM
Originally posted by Mr. Sandman
Van, 200 watts! I hope we boaters don't end up like todays teens in automobiles where the fellows' stereo in the car next to me is too loud and my car vibration is annoying and both his and my windows are rolled up. :eek:

Last season , a guy brought his boat is real close to us cause' we were nailing fish one after another. Guess how I drove him away !!!! And sometimes I think that reverb of base through the water actually attracts fish, it sure don't scare them away !!

12-22-2003, 10:17 AM
I picked up a Clarion CMAS system with speakers off of a Boaters World auction on Ebay for $150.00 (retails $300.00). It sounds great, has alot of features and thus far has given me no problems. The CD player has never skipped even in rough water. I did install a radio/splash cover.

Nothing like trolling to a little Van Halen or AC/DC :)

Bob Senior
12-27-2003, 10:26 AM
Stripers like Mozart. AC/DC and Van Halen attract blues and sand robbins!! Country attracts rednecks on jet skis looking for beer and "extra marlboros."

I have a Jensen unit in my T-top with two West Marine speakers in the T-top. Setup was a gift from my son. It works great, but needs an always-on line to retain stations in memory.

Always-on lines seem to cause me problems sooner or later so I didn't hook it up. So I have to select stations every trip unless I leave my batteries on during down times. It's easy in this unit.

I'd rather have an internal-battery-powered memory unit.

'Hoping the Jensen rots out soon so I can get a new one.

CustomMarineProducts
01-08-2004, 06:21 PM
Did you buy your stereo and speakers yet?? What was your final decision as far as what system you were going to use?
Pete

Hooper
01-12-2004, 10:14 AM
I see there are low magnetic field speakers for mounting near compasses and autopilots etc....

Have any of you run into issues mounting speakers near things like you bottom machine or your plotter?

I'd like to flush mount a pair in my overhead electronics box, but I don't want the magnets in the speakers to interfere with anything.

Can anyone offer any thoughts on this?

Many Thanks, Hooper