View Full Version : Sharpening hooks

InshoreAngler
12-21-2003, 12:20 AM
I'm trying to sharpen the hooks on my cod jigs right now, they are all the standard hooks so most are mustads I guess....I dont need to worry about my rig hooks cuz most are gamis.

I dont know if I'm doing this right, its probably simple and a funny question but how do you sharpen these hooks? I have a Luhr Jenson hook file. I think I'm doing it right, but dont know if I'm actually making the hooks duller....any input?:D

Notaro
12-21-2003, 12:34 AM
look for the thread that says micro sharpener which was suggested by #^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^& to an angler.

Raven
12-21-2003, 10:15 AM
theres a technique or two for every task....but i like diamond studded sharpening stones (under >$15.00) , I keep one in my shirt pocket for quickly restoring a sharp point. a few drags backwards with each hook held between thumb and first index finger will do the trick. But thats all you want to use. After that you begin to make the hook point to thin and it will get dull easier with the next clash with something tough. a quick test (for sharpness) is to see if the point can write a squiggle on a thumbnail without any pressure.:D
p.s. they make nice stocking stuffers :p