View Full Version : Surf Casting on Sandy Neck Beach

seadog
12-21-2003, 01:41 PM
I finally have a four wheel drive vehicle and now have access to Sandy Neck. Can anyone share some techniques used to fish the area.

Thanks,
Rick

BigFish
12-21-2003, 03:11 PM
I have never had much luck there, course' I have only fished it a hand full of times, but the guys I know that fish there frequently like sand worms as bait so if you're a dunker, thats what many who fish there prefer!:huh: I prefer the beaches further south, the backside beaches, but hey....any beach you can drive on is a great beach!:kewl: What kind of fishing do you do most? Plugging, baitfishing???

seadog
12-21-2003, 03:19 PM
Thanks for the info. As far as what type of fishing I do, it depends on the location that I am fishing. If I am on Plumb Island in Newburyport, chunking with clams and Herring are best. There are a few spots in Barnsatble that I go to where floating plugs work best for Bkues and strippers. On South Beach in Monomoy I used Sluggo's off the beach and the stripers ate those up. I like to try different methods depending on the area.

BigFish
12-21-2003, 03:24 PM
Welcome by the way....I see you are new here! Happy Holidays and welcome aboard rick-rjp!:wave: You have quite a ride from Arlington to Sandy Neck Beach.....aren't there any North Shore beaches closer to you???? Just curious due to the long ride? Do you fish Sandy Neck often?

BigFish
12-21-2003, 03:26 PM
Sorry I did not see your last post! Tell me about Plum Island....I have never fished there but a buddy of mine has! Do you find good fishing there? What is the beach there like to drive on?

seadog
12-21-2003, 03:29 PM
Thanks. Actually I spend alot of time on the Cape as my family has a vaction home there. Sometimes during the week I fish Plum Island after work into the night which seems to be the best time for stipers off the beach there. I only recently got access to Sandy Neck and would like to give a try next summer. Happy Holiday to you as well

BigFish
12-21-2003, 03:34 PM
Have you ever fished the backside??? Race Point, Wellfleet, Truro???:uhuh:

Christian
12-21-2003, 03:44 PM
WELCOME!!!!

send me to plum island, give me a bunch of a-salt bombers chicken scratch, wonder bread,black, ill do the rest.

Karl F
12-21-2003, 09:01 PM
Welcome to S-B.Com rick! worm & wait, bombers & plugs, lot's of schoolie action at S.N.

Big Fish, one of the most limited, (time wise, birds..) access wise, drivingf beaches in the State, (Plum Island).. beautiful place.

http://parkerriver.fws.gov/information/surffishing.html

for general info.

sfrances
12-22-2003, 12:04 AM
Hey Big Fish where ya been.
I have fished plumb island quite a bit when I lived up there its awsome. I used to fish down the bottom of the island there is a number of submerged jetties and on falling water hang on. Christian is right on colors I did very well on the red fin chicken scratch and some hawn plugs I have I have also come across cyoties on the island and the there is the piping pluver hatches where they will not even let you walk on the beach. Thats when you go to the inlet and fish either the jetty or the sod banks. but never the less awsome fishing all over that area.

Steve

Flaptail
12-22-2003, 09:32 AM
Sandy Neck? SHH!!!! I don't want company, so please keep it quiet about Sandy Neck! Actually in June, if you like light tackle and some big fish, fish the far eastern end on a dropping tide to low and then into the first two hours of the flood. There is great wading on the tidal flats that make up the west bar of Barnstable Harbor. Go to the very last spot you can drive to, get out and head east and fish the bars, cuts and channels with flies and my personal favorite, an eight foot light spinning rod, ten pound test braid with a three foot twenty pound fluorocarbon leader and a six inch sluggo, unweighted. Do this at daybreak on a calm sunny June morning. You have only two problems, the piping plover closings and low tide must occur around dawn or shortly thereafter. Have fun!

seadog
12-22-2003, 10:46 AM
Thanks for the responses. Very helpful. By the way, can someone tell me what a chicken scratch lure is ??

-Rick

Karl F
12-22-2003, 11:04 AM
well alright... if you look to the far right in this pic of Newelly's finest work.. the yellow with the black markings and the red "sctratch"
bomber makes one like that, if fished in certain waters, I have heard... that they produce, especially certain tides and times,
Flap, have you ever heard that ;)

Flaptail
12-22-2003, 12:00 PM
Uh, I dunno. Did you say Bassmaster's favorite black/gold chrome? I would never ever give that secret away!